Best types of samples sounds for UW?

Hi There,

For those who own a MDUW I am curious to know what kind of samples suit/compliment the onboard synthesis of the MDUW
From my brief experience with a non UW the synthesis engines included are incredibly versatile for all manor of drum sounds, textures and ambience.

The sample memory does seem best suited for short percussion sounds due to the limited space although this is very well covered already within the machines.

I would imagine that field recordings/vocals/acoustic/synths would seem to bridge what is more difficult to achieve on the MD or maybe I have that really wrong as some engines sound very acoustic and frequency rich.

I would be curious to hear what peoples findings are.

Thanks

crispy and crunchy breakbeats

2 Likes

For me any sample or samples that fit the memory capacity work. There is no “best”, only what works for a song.

3 Likes

Pads shortened to stabs, the aforementioned crunchy breakbeats, analogue bass, vocal snippets, foley… It all works nicely

1 Like

And can the pads be looped right? is it possible to cycle with no clicks are is it better for one shots?

if you use osx this app has been my go to for sending WAVs with loop points into the MD

but maybe worth checking if audacity can loop now, there’s been a few updates since that post…

1 Like

I’ve actually not tried looping pads, I only use significantly cropped versions of pad samples with fades applied. @waftlord seems to be on to something here though, thank you!

And would you incorporate the fade into the sample before importing?
Haven’t found an envelope yet unless there is one on the unofficial OS?

there is an envelope machine in X that is great.

I prepare the samples in Ableton first, usually they’re ones from my library that I tweak to be shorter with a fade, then convert to mono 22500, convert to SDS then SYX then transfer.

when using a drum break do you p lock the start point on different triggers at the different transient/slices?

Or is there a better way of doing this?

909 hats and rides, dub stabs, vocal snippets.

Things that can’t be easily synthesized on MD.

1 Like

I prefer to take individual elements out of the break, but it’s simple enough to slice into sections. I would p-lock the start point, it’s far too imprecise for me.

worthing noting that dependent on whether the ROM is in slots 1-24 its start point will be exponential and if in 25+ linear. i always forget this and can trip me up in certain scenarios.

Wouldn’t that sacrifice several machines for one break though? I can imagine that is hit or miss using the plocks

It does, though if you chop it into quarters it’s only four machines out of 16, which isn’t too bad. It’s how I use the Machinedrum, won’t work for everyone. :slight_smile:

I only use ROM machine in pair with RAM machines to do live-sampling/resampling

Sounds like a fair compromise. I thought it may have used up every channel!

interesting… i had no idea about this tidbit