Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

a Korg analogue Mono/Poly would be fun to Digitakt sample.

Blofeld!

1 Like

i think a minilogue with a multi-fx box works perfect with the digitakt. you’ve got mono, poly, chords, arps, etc… i won’t go on because i’m all sure you’ve seen one before

1 Like

Was keen for one, but so many negative comments about qc that I decided against it

His hilarious what?

5 Likes

Never had issues with mine

1 Like

hiphop on this shit is fuckin amazing. Been doing all sorts of flips n glitches and weird shit to my beats as of late. all started with me being exposed to the OT, now owning a DT its just madness. Enjoy!!

-NV

3 Likes

I think the mfb club + digitakt will be a nice combo , had the four but the raw sound was very very vst like, couldn’t justify keeping it so onto the digi+club, can’t bloody wait :smiley:

Best synthesizer? Your dads record collection.

But also I am picking up a Roland SH-01a to pair with my little friend. I’m not crazy about the form factor of the SH-01a, but the sound and versatility are there. This video sold me on it:

Roland did good on this one

9 Likes

That’s my set up.

When I got started with Elektron gear, I’ve chosen Machinedrum and Blofeld which was and still is a very cost effective as well as powerfull combination of drum and WT synth. As someone described earlier in this thread, there are some issues and limitations with Blofeld’s multimode mode (solved much better on the Virus TI it seems), but you can create a wide range of sound, play them (with some limitations) in parallel based on different midi channels, as well as it’s possible to load some samples into Blofeld (requires an extra license) that can be sequenced. Sound design on the Blofeld can be done with the Ipad app “Patch Base” meantime in combination with “Fugue Machine” for sequncing, which makes it more comforable and more effective for me compared to the few knobs and the display on the Blo’.

Second I like the MB33 to sequence which is a 130€ Bass Synth and is extremely close to a TB303 soundwise.

Since I’m a Machinedrum user when it comes to sequencing external gear I cannot say how Blofeld and MB33 work with the Digitakt, but very sure it’s an as good as or even better experience sequncing and resampling them with the Digitakt compared to the MD.

2 Likes

I always loved the noise generator on this thing. I used to play on my friends sh-101 he found at a garage sale. It has great mojo.

I feel like oddly with electribes they feel weirdly meh sequencing them from the outside. I think a big part is the lack of a real adsr and the way the work arounds work don’t play as well from an outside source.

You might want to consider checking out the System-1M also, you only get poly on the built in synth on it but some crazy versatility and then you can also have the sh101 plug out which gives a higher quality sampler rate than the boutique and you get patch points to get into some extra sound design. Good sized knobs and sliders on it. Also a built in delay and reverb that you can modulate from the digitakt. Roland did a pretty crap job of demoing the system 1 but you can find some pretty amazing user patches online if you look around. I found one used for 300usd not long ago. Really recommend this one for the mixture of hands on control, full midi cc, patch points for extra sound design, good range of analog and digital sounds from dark to modern and plug outs if you’re drooling over some classic Roland monosynth sounds. But if you’re dying for polyphonic sh101 it won’t do it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas. I do appreciate the form factor of the 1m and the patch points look cool. How’s the Reverb sound on it?

My local synth store doesn’t have the SH-01A in yet, getting coldish feet.

The reverb is good enough… it is really only one adjustable knob though so its just basically how much reverb. I find it usable for sure though, I don’t find myself reaching for external fx.

1 Like

Currently I’m using a very minimal rig: DT+A4. I’t so amazingly satisfying that I don’t need buying something else (maybe Analog Heat).
In the past I used Blofeld: very good sound, but sold it, because I like jamming and found it not good for improvisating and changing sounds on the fly, specially in multi timbral mode.
Used also Microbrute: fat analog sound, but I prefer to save patches and also don’t need a keyboard.
DT and A4 find is a perfect couple!!! Really appreciate jamming with A4 performance mode and DT track mute.

4 Likes

Looks like an answering machine which I guess is a variation on the sampler.

3 Likes

Pioneer Toraiz AS-1. It’s not for everyone (requires some menu diving), but it sounds incredible.

3 Likes

absolutely nailed it… I bought an electribe and it was not good sequencing from the Digi. Ended up returning it and buying a JX03 Boutique and I am in love with this little synth! The size of the JX03 is so nice too, fits snugly between the SP404 and Digitakt. I am seriously considering a SH01A Boutique now. The hands-on control is fantastic and I find myself just continuously tweaking all the parameters as I jam.

I know a lot of people knock the Boutiques for being digital and small but for my little desk studio it is so nice, and just super impressed with the thing :smiley:

5 Likes