Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

I’m thinking of picking up a circuit as a partner for my Digitakt.

Two Nova synths plus effects in a small box? Sounds perfect for sequencing and feeding into the Digitakt’s input.

For me, Digitakt plus Circuit = what I wanted out of the OP1.

actually thought of something that would pair great… the korg emx!
used to have on but didn’t gel with the sequencer, but always loved the synth engines, capable of some evil sounds :smiling_imp:

5 synth parts

3 Likes

what type of music do you want to make?

The engines of the A4 are 10 times better than the cirquit. I think the cirquit is only interesting for people with low budget and no other equipment. It is a thing that can do a lot a little bit, and quite bad

Why no dreadbox? For Example
You dont need So much with the Digitakt
Buy something that is limited, But with very high quality?

1 Like

I already have a range of ‘high quality’ synths, I just thought it would better to turn the Digitakt into a straightforward portable production centre.

Not everyone is after quality, fun can be a much more important factor :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me it will ne a nord a1, without doubt, but long terme projection, as i found thé DT great on bis own

1 Like

holy shit I need one of these.

3 Likes

i prefer the future retro xs as a studio synth to the sub 37. Mainly because of routing and FM capibilities. although its a pain as a live synth because the oscillators take forever to warm up. ive done outdoor gigs where it took over an hour, the pitched changed in the middle of a song and i had to tune mid song. i was playing with band too so it threw everyone off it was a huge issue.

the sub37 however tunes iyself so thats a huge advantage not seen in any other analogs i know of, it makes it a joy to gig with. the subsiquent 37 is even nicer. if only it had osc as mod source id buy it in a second. leaving out FM is a huge over sight in ny opnion. and dont give me that “fast lfo for FM like sounds” BS. its not the same.

if moog sold the self tuning instantly warm osc in rack format id buy it in a second and build a whole modular around it

i already added my input a while ago cause i have mine paired with a monomachine but i was wondering… what manner are you looking to pair the DT with something? Meaning are you looking for a synth to be food (sample material) or a synth to run alongside the DT? I asked this cause i realize that even though i am running my mono in tandem with the DT i rarely am sampling the mono into the DT. I think the requirement are different depending.

Sample based hip hop mostly, but I’m starting to experiment a lot with techno/deep/tech house etc.

I probably read it in some other forum or r/synthesizers, not sure. It wasn’t just one person saying that too.

Aside from it’s sound engine, it looks very complex to me. I was making beats with the DT after a few minutes of powering it up because it’s dead simple, I doubt that’s the case with the A4.

I just want to twist some knobs and make some noise, you know? :smiley:

2 Likes

Well for hip hop you might be able to get away with just sampling for your pads and keys and for techno you might not need that. But i need at least a 4 voice poly before a mono synth.

I’m really happy with my A4, a 303 clone (i got a nice modded 2 osc one with xmod), and 1 good eurorack complex oscillator making my samples.

I’m hoping the pro 2 will be better once sampled because theres something I like about it and something I dont. It might get sold - havent taken the digitakt to the studio yet, so I cant judge.

I have got a load of other stuff but these are my staples. YMMV because I make beatsy scifi dnb nonsense

It’s really not that complex. It can do a lot, but it’s easy to use. I’d say the oscillators and filters are a tad on the weak side, maybe little better than a DSI mopho, but nowhere even a low price moog, but the modulation capabilities really make the limited analog hardware shine.

the EMX is a lot of fun. When i got mine back in 2005 I would get high and just play flute runs with the slidey arp for hours.

4 Likes

I really think it could be a great buddy for the digitakt, 5 synths locked to midi 1-5, and plocking the synth parameters etc

1 Like

Add an erebus for analog goodness and your set :grin:

my main complaint about the EMX is that the main outs output totally leaks into the 3+4 outs. that has always bummed me out. but other people say that their EMX doesn’t have that problem.

Two often overlooked synths:

Audiothingies Micromonsta (very compact, great sounding)

Nord Lead A1:

• 4 parts (multitimbral). So with one Lead A1 you have four seperate poly synths
  • Its classic OSCs can sound very analog
  • But it can also do nice FM, Bell, format, choir etc. sounds thanks to its 40 different OSCs types… :slight_smile:
  • It also has different type of filters
  • And three hands on effects (reverb, delay and either chorus, flanger, drive etc.)

I never liked the Nord sound, but the A1 is its first synth I really like.

1 Like

Yeah, mine when I had it definitely didn’t have that problem!