Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Yeah I think Roland is killing it with those little boutiques… I definitely have my eyes on the D-05 currently although that might be mostly a nostalgia purchase. They are tiny and digital for the most part but they do an excellent job of sounding good. The System 1M definitely convinced me that acb is more than just a marketing term and really is some next level VA stuff in them. Curious to see where Roland goes next with that stuff especially in applying it to brand new synths.

2 Likes

A4 IMO and that’s because you can never go wrong with it… again, at least IMO. but i also see some very good other opinions here. that’s why i’m here after all, i’m having Attention Deficint Disorder and it is hard for me to learn but i still wanted to learn and i see people that i have lots to learn from you. can i ask questions if i have some?

I was skimming back through this thread to see if anyone had mentioned the System-1 / 1m because it’s a great sounding synth and fun to use. Doesn’t get enough love IMO. Also has a very wide vintage-to-modern range. It can be very warm and classic sounding or get into full on EDM supersaw territory. They even added some pseudo-FM and formant stuff in the extended selection of oscillator waveforms.

1 Like

I cannot get past the horrendous green of the system-1.

1 Like

An ipad with with a CME air 25 :smile_cat:
It doesn’t have the visual impact of a hardware synth but it’s compact, versatile, and sonically all there.

2 Likes

I love seeing how much everyone’s tastes in which single synth they’d prefer with their digitakt. This is just great!

While I had the digitakt, my difficulty was trying to figure out which synth I could settle on. I really liked what the A4 did paired up with it, I didn’t have the monologue at the time I had the digitakt but would have liked to see what I could have been. The pulse 2 was awesome with the digitakt as well. But the best combo was digitakt and Machinedrum if we can consider it a synth. I know it’s not a synth per say, but Octatrack with the digitakt was just all out madness. I was able to sample the OT with the DT while keeping the music going, ran everything through the AH and even more magic is created.

I wish I had the MnM when I had the digitakt.
I let the digitakt go because I wanted to focus more on the octatrack with the silver boxes with sequencing the pulse2 and monologue for Basslines, key, pads, etc. it’s all been a blast too! I’ll have to get another dt down the road for a quick setup tool for a smaller live rig.

1 Like

Can I for example send midi OT LFO to OT tracks without sending notes ? Like keeping sequencer with slides and just p lock just trigless lfo param from the midi ?

I think a lot of people feel the same. Also lots of people who wouldn’t look at the TR-8 going crazy for the TR-09, etc.

The System-1m looks quite nice in a eurorack skiff / case though, e.g. Roland’s own wooden one. No green edging, and some blue/red LEDs alongside the green ones helps too.

One word: Nyx

3 Likes

I cannot stand the green/black LED that roland went for either… They look great modded though

9 Likes

Yeah definitely. Just don’t forget that the LFO is active though, I spent ages debugging an Ableton set one night and it wasn’t till the next day that I realised the OT was sending a slow LFO. duh.

1 Like

based on the new firmware update , maybe a deluge would be good … some nice features have been added.

personally… something
multitimbral
built in fx
easy midi cc editing/tweaking.
multiple outs assuming a mixer is still ok.

nord 4r / Nord Modular (if you have a pc/mac too)
access virus
ipad + camera connection kit.
analog4 / rytm
yamaha a5000 / emu e4k ultra/newer versions / asr X , akai z4/z8/s5000/s6000
basically a sampler with good synthesis features .
maybe something cheaper like novation circuit , always handy to have sequencer functions on the other box.

1 Like

I bought a Sh01a after being so impressed with the JX03. I love the one knob per function of the JX03 and the SH01a is like a more immediate version of that.
Plus side is my studio can still all fit in a backpack hahahaha

4 Likes

Anyone paired the A4 with a DT? Seems like the killer combo. Would probably get my vote, otherwise whatever new box Elektron develops next (DT form factor synth) hopefully fits this description :slight_smile: Still, with 3 new boxes and DT firmware on the horizon, might not see that till next year… Maybe it will be a standalone Push 3 that hopefully drops in November :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If we are talking absolute practicality the answer is the Blofeld. Sounds good, 16 part multi, easy-ish to program from the matrix layout, cheap. If money is no object I’d probably grab an A4 or three.

1 Like

10 Likes

yup

1 Like

Thought about this a lot, and if I only were to keep two of my things it would be Digitakt and Roland JV-1010.

Not enough knobs… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

0-Coast!

21 Likes