Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Well true, if i was just going for sound i would pick something else. But i am going for a minimal live hardware setup. Using song mode on the a4 and linking the digitakt i have 12 tracks. Currently i am doing 2 mono synths in the a4. A 2 note poly in the a4, 5 digitakt tracks for drums and 3 for keys, pads, vocals etc. And i do like how the a4 sounds…

1 Like

That’s a great setup. I suppose the term “minimal” is relative. My dream is to show up to gigs with just a digitakt, like I did in the old days with an MPC1000. My days of lugging gear are over. Just waiting for a stable enough update that I can confidently do it.

2 Likes

Good point. GAS re-initiated :smiley:

Your hilarious… :grin:

2 Likes

okay if there must be only one …
(the programmer board isn’t a synthesizer and so therefore is allowable under the rule guidelines).

5 Likes

this is exactly where im going with my train of thought… a nice immediate synth that sounds great is what i need.

I’m reading this thread with great interest.

I am about to buy my first synth to pair with my DT and MPC Live and I really can’t decide what to go for. I was only looking at monos at first but right now I’m also considering polys.

So far I’m really liking the Sub 37 for mono (no space for it atm though) and the Peak for poly. I’m also liking the roland se-02 (and it’s price).

What would you suggest to a beginner, a mono or a poly to start with? I will eventually have 1 mono and 1 poly but for now I’d have to settle for only 1 synth.

Virus Ti2 pairs up nicely with OT and (i think) would work exactly same way with DT. Can make full use of the DT’s 8 midi channels as Virus can handle 16 midi channels/parts.

Think the most ive needed to use has been 4-5 sounds.

3 Likes

order direct from www.synthesizer.gr

Hades are discontinued.

You’re

1 Like

While the Sub 37 (or Subsequent as it’s called now) is a real beauty and very versatile it also is quite pricey. You sound like you’re not sure what you’re looking for in your synths yet, analog vs. digital, type of filter, etc. Have you researched the A4 yet? It does offer a lot for it’s price and in a sense covers both of your bases as it can be configured to play it’s 4 voices polyphonically. Also the on board fx are more than just decent. It’s definitely not the most approachable machine, but in terms of versatility, feature set and bang for buck ratio, even the MK2 is hard to beat and it does certainly make for a great DT companion if you’re willing to put in the time to really understand it.

1 Like

or a simple synth… with less possibilities, that can help you understand what you do? One without menu diving, all knobs directly accessible, with amazing sound? For starting synthesis, A4 is not a good idea I think…

Fair point. But honestly, then I’d rather start out with single cycle waveforms and resampling on the DT, which is definitely enough to get a basic understanding of filter, filter resonance, amp/filter env, different waveforms and the use of LFOs. Compared to VSTs you still get fairly hands on tweakability and take some steps towards understanding what you should get next. It’s what I should have done looking back. Doesn’t feed the GAS like new hardware, though.

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s “the best” one but I’m thinking about getting a DSI Tetra. It’s allows midi CC control of pretty much everything, 4 part multi timbral, individual outputs and most of all I like how it sounds. (Only been listening to youtube and soundcloud demos so far but anyways…)

I think it would go a long way together with the Digitakt.

1 Like

I like the moog bassline synth Minitaur. It helps me to create good basslines, But also noisy sound that I use to make small loops (like single cycle waveforms) and change it into lead sounds

For me, focus on one instrument is extraordinary important. So I take my sound out of the synth, then I dive into the Digitakt again… chopping the bassline, re-using samples as waveform loops, etc…

1 Like

Ah… the Minitaur… I had one back when they where new but there was so many bugs and strange stuff going on that I didn’t keep it. Lately there’s been some massive firmware updates so I’m tempted to get one again…

1 Like

I can’t say I like the A4 and I’m also reading that it’s sound engine is quite weak.

I’m looking for something with lots of knobs and no menu diving. I have a very general idea of what does what.

I think that I’ll take the sub 37 out of the equation for now, and pick either the Peak or the SE-02, if they ever arrive in Europe.

Edit: maybe the mk2 has improved sound engine? I’ll have to take a more serious look at it…

let me say…

i never bought anything good from novation
i dont like the small boutique series, small knobs make no sense with synthesis
the Sub37 is very, very big… for me too big, not only in size, but more in possibilites… you will like knob turning, but will probably not understand it…

for me, one elektron unit is enough
maybe with digitakt, they will create another one hand playable synth… next year… based on simplicity and quite a “low” price

I think it’s good to start with second hand mother 32, or minitaur…
they are really good, not too difficult, not as versatile as sub

and don’t underestimate the single cycle waveform possibility of the digitakt…

one to compare with Blofeld is the Micron - advantages being 16 bar patterns, can process audio in, and the mod matrix allows any midi CC as source. The multi mode takes a bit of getting used to. The sound may / may not be to your taste…

Blofeld multi mode works really well if OS is up to date, btw

1 Like