Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

I wish, right now, I had both a monomachine and a DT(and a mini moog, and a grand piano, and a vibraphone, and…) the Fm machines on the MnM made great percussive sounds that I would LOVE to capture #DigiMachine

Just buy a damned Digitakt. It’s a techno and ambient workhorse.

Don’t sleep on the synths factory wavetables. I just spent three hours making techno layering four tracks of the factory wave tables as synths over a few heavy 909 kicks, snares, and claps. With the nice filters, effects, and sample tricks, you can get a ton of variation quick. So far the wavetables have been killing my gas for other synths.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m sticking with it this time because they’re due to be in stock in a week and a half. It’s taken so long, it didn’t even matter how many times I cancelled my order; I’m getting it at the same time I would’ve in any case. It’s going to be my fourth sampler/sequencer, but I still feel like I need it in my life.

2 Likes

I’d caution against the Snow. Yes, it’s powerful sound and multitimbrality are positives in its favor, but I had no end of trouble with mine–hung notes (especially on quick, legato passages played live), very little onboard hands-on control (must have the TI plug-in for your DAW for any real sound design) and a lack of inspiration for me in general.

Keep in mind I used it primarily as a live instrument, and whether I played it via a keyboard controller or sequenced it the MIDI issue (hung notes) was enough to put me off. That was after multiple OS updates, different MIDI devices upstream etc.

I got into the Nord Lead range shortly thereafter and never looked back. They have an immediacy of control like no other, and creating new sounds/patches is a fun activity. My Nord Lead 4 works wonderfully with Digitakt.

3 Likes

i’m happy with the Korg Prophecy and for chords will just use poly analogue style patches on (software synth) Zebra, sample direct to the Digitakt.

in the future would replace Zebra with a Deepmind 12 or maybe a Rev2.

i think the Nyx or a Matrixbrute would be a fabulous analogue monosynth to pair with the Digitakt.

virusti2 is a fun one

Right and I’ve got Komplete and it completes me.

HOWEVER- there are certainly things I can use.

Pt2

You just inspired me, actually. NO NEW GEAR PURCHASES UNTIL I FINISH ANOTHER ALBUM.

That should help me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

anyone tried Circuit Mono Station? I wanted to buy it to compliment my Digitakt, as it seems to be the coolest and most innovative on the market right now. (I am making triphop-ambient-ish music)

i keep coming back to dreadbox… still havent made my mind up! would love a hades but they arent available anywhere in AU, so Erebus is looking like the one

also nyx arent availble either :frowning:

I haven’t heard much of the Hades, but knowing it’s a bass synth, you won’t be disappointed with the Erebus for bass if you go with that option. Very lovely low end, and the filter resonance enhances things well (doesn’t remove low end like some filter designs).

if i had to choose only one synth to go with the digitakt it would be the a4, which is pretty much what i have done, only connecting other gear for sampling or playing along. i sold my op-1 to get my a4 and i do miss it, and did get to know it fairly well, but to use with the digitakt it is mainly a sample fodder maker for me, and i have done that and prefer the ipad for that. i will get the op-1 again some day, but mainly to create self contained songs, a backwards process on the op-1 but i do enjoy it.

also like the blofeld, ju-06, jp-08 (if no ju-06 is available), wouldn’t consider a mono synth if i could only have one. and patch memory is a must for me.

it would have to be the audiothingies micromonster.

I’m using it with eurorack. Controlling my rack with a Polyend Poly. 8 midi channels to CV. Works really well.

4 Likes

im jealous

good points, but the erebus just sounds so great and I don’t really need multiple synth voices really. I might add a sh-101a boutique down the line for some poly, or the d-50 boutique

I’d have to disagree. Sure the A4 is cool with all it’s modulation automations and sequencers, but it’s sound engine is it’s weak point. If you’re using the DT, a sampler, why not get the BEST sound engine you can afford, why would you want any more sequencing than the DT already provides? What’s the point? Major redundancy. I mean the A4 is cool and all, but a cwejman s1, or any custom made modular would be a much better choice. Sure more expense, but we’re talking BEST, not budget. Even on a budget I’d take my FS XS over an A4. The A4 just doesn’t compare to stand alone monos, even in the same price point.

You should be able to do at least an EP with the DT and found sound.

3 Likes

I think the dt Is the most ‘direct’ instrument
everything is directly accessible
no thinking, just. making music

the A4 is very big and difficult, synth with many, many possibilities

I prefer a simple, and more direct instrument next to my digitakt

3 Likes

You’re 100% correct. That’s the point I was making. A great analog SYNTH for sound design to build a sample library, no menus or screens just knobs and sound. Easy sound designing. Then the DT as the most simple direct way to make those samples into music. Keeping sound design and composition seperate, keeps distractions to a minimum, maximizes workflow.

2 Likes