Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

I remember that thread - lots of mentions of Blofeld, Eurorack, and BSII.

Blofeld is the only multitimbral option anyone mentioned in a budget (unless you have $2-3k for a Virus…)

If multitimbral is too difficult, how about a quiver of synths that are worth sending to a mixer? Maybe VolcaFM, Microbrute/Neutron, and a minilog/microkorg? Or is Blofeld still the king?

Those sound good, but I don’t know where to get one. As for the Model D, I heard it’s mostly not CC, so that could get annoying. At that point, I’ll wait for a Neutron.

Also, the iOS Model D sounds incredible to me (the Moog one), but when I use my iPhone/iPad with AudioBox iTwo, it’s got midi problems, so maybe I’ll try it straight from the DT or something…

The Novation Circuit is a cheap option and it’s a great time addition to a DT. Two synth tracks with 6 voices each, and up to 60 seconds of stereo samples In the drum tracks. You can also set it up to where you can sidechain the Synths to the DT’s tracks by sacrificing a drum track on the Circuit. You’re only limited to the sounds you can make via their synth editor which is nice, but there are only 64 patches available at one time. Not multitimbral but it’s relatively cheap and very effective.

2 Likes

I’ve only recently gotten into the midi sequencing capabilities of the Digitakt, but I think it’s the most fun I’ve ever had with a sequencer.

Most people in this thread (and in others like it) are using and recommending high-powered synths, but what I most recently had fun with is the Ploytec PL2.

http://www.ploytec.com/pl2/

As it needs a dedicated controller, it’s a perfect fit with the Digitakt sending CCs to it. I’m seriously thinking about investing in a few more of them and running mono synths almost exclusively.

There’s also an older series of synths by Yamaha that are essentially midi modules. They run 16 individual midi tracks on board, and obviously all of them can be sequenced through the one midi cable in. In the past I used the Yamaha mu 10, but right now I’m using the Yamaha mu 50 and really liking the results with the onboard effects. Yes, it’s vintage, and a lot of it is generic sound (I think all these modules run on PCM sample playback) but with a little bit of editing the parameters you can get some wild sounds. The mu50 I’m using uses the general midi Soundset, the XG midi Soundset, and the Turbo 300 sound set.

All the devices I listed can be bought for under $100. At some point I’ll upgrade my synth set, but for the time being I’m having a ridiculous amount of fun using these limited tools.

Did I mention using the Digitakt to sequence my Yamaha U1 up right? It has the 1997 disklavier add-on, so the piano sports midi in and out. It’s a little ridiculous to sequence an acoustic piano like this.

Overall I’d say that the high power of the digitakt sequencer means that it works incredibly well even with lower-powered synths. Loving it so far.

4 Likes

since when?

Seconding the Circuit option! 2 nice poly synths, 1 simple but effective sample-based drum machine, some fx, and a very friendly sequencer (with p locks)… and the whole package is really cheap!

Digitakt + Circuit is my mini set-up right now. Will probably be joined by a Digitone later, but for now, it’s enough for me.

1 Like

I sold my Blofeld for Digitone but I bought an MD and a Micromonsta instead ! :smile:
(good 2nd prices hazard)
Absolutely don’t regret it. Blofeld Multi mode was quite boring to use. Micromonsta is so easy to use ! Don’t even need the manual.
Less possibilities. Filters are better. Sounds better to me.
I think I’ll buy a 2nd MMonsta, half size of Octatrack !
Here is Micromonsta only, OT fx / processing, MM tweaking, one patch / take with OT midi control (intended to mimick multitimbrality mixing Osc1/2 / sub / noize with midi CC)

2 Likes

The desktop Blofeld is pretty unique for what it is at the price point, which is probably why it comes up a lot in that thread as a good option for a dt companion. As a single companion for the dt it’s hard to beat.

As for other options that go well with the dt but may not be multitimbral there are some great ones.
If your looking for something “current” the volcas are a good place to start. The volca fm and keys in particular are cool. Plocking the volcas parameters with the dt really open the synths.
The bastl xor is also a really good dt companion that sits in the price range of the volcas, again the elektron sequencer makes the synth shine.

But you use the Circuit sequencer, I’ll assume? This sounds great, but I’ll still be left with empty MIDI tracks staring at me, begging to have something to do…

The thing about the Circuit that gets me is not being able to edit the patches without a computer. Nevermind saving patches and programming, you can’t even edit them. You get those weird macro knobs that do something different depending on the synth (if I remember correctly from my brief time with one). If they were always Filt/Res, Fenv, fType, then Amp A, R, detune, and mod (for example), it could be OK, but there’s no rhyme or reason, and no LCD to indicate what they do per-patch.

Maybe it’s not as bad as I’m remembering for $300, but the whole web-editor thing… what if they discontinue the editor? Then you can’t program it 15 years from now, maybe…

This is crazy that it’s only one patch! Well done! I like it for video game soundtrack type music.

Looks like it’s not as easy to program as the Blofeld, though. I don’t mind the multi-mode, it’s the general sound that just doesn’t 100% inspire me.

Looks like it’s what this person is doing in this video

4 Likes

If you can find a 2nd hand PreenFM2 for under $300, that might be a good choice. It’s multitimbral . I use to own one, wish I still had it to use with my OT.

Borrowing one from a friend and this is the thing that I find lacking as well. A display would have made it more usable. But it’s still a lot of fun and a great little device. And there is a downloadable editor. I also thought it was web only, but there is a desktop version

At the opposite, it’s VERY easy to program, VERY logical, ergonomic.
For in depth matrix settings, so much quicker ! Less parameters, but the most efficient !
Real pleasure, I can deal with its limits because its still creative and clever.
Rdm glide lfos are what I needed. I didn’t like Blofeld lfos behaviour even using matrix.

1 Like

The more I mess with this Blofeld, the more the knobs act up. I’m getting such strange behavior, and this is the 2nd one from the store.

I think I’m just gonna send this one back too and look for something else, I’ll def check out the MicroMonsta. Where did you get it? Are they ever available in the US?

1 Like

the micromonsta can be purchased direct from audiothingies.

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/

their double drummer can also make a good companion for the digitakt.

1 Like

In France, second hand. Answer above. I think you can ask questions here to @elektrosamplist, the creator.
Micromonsta

There’s a small midi box called Short that is made by BLL… It allows you to access all the parameters of the Circuit and adds a small screen. It’s around 100 euros, mine should arrive soon.

1 Like

When using their editor you can make the macros do whatever you want! Just 1 hour making custom sounds and macros can give you endless possibilities. I was unsure about the computer editor myself but after using it I dig it. Not only that the Circuit is getting a new update soon; it’s ever evolving!

Awesome! I need to get a camera connection kit!