Best site for drumbreak

Hi, I want to get my jungle on with the digitakt, What is the best place for quality drum breaks like amen ? Any tips for slicing the loop before sending the samples to digitakt ?

This vidéo is nice but can someone break the process step by step ? What is the point of warp marker before snare hits ?

2 Likes

Maybe ask him @DacciPucci directly? :slight_smile:

Yes of course, but I want some advice from the DnB producers who use the digitakt.

First stop search Youtube for “classic breaks” or something along those lines, filter by playlist and you’ll have a whole load of the most sampled breaks at your finger tips. Net step decide if u are going to just rip the audio from Youtube, hunt down a digital copy or buy the original vinyl to then sample into digitakt. With most D&B the breaks are chopped, speeded up and rearranged, the process is similar with most samplers, difference with the digitakt is your not playing different slices you are plocking the loop start point, result is similar.

3 Likes

And one fun thing with p-locking a loop, rather then slicing it up into one shots, is that you can mess around with things like pitching the loop up & down, all over, with the LFO, while still keeping it synced up with a few well placed p-locks for the starting point. And obviously lotsa other ways to manipulate the loops as well

Ensure your loop is setup nicely , it’ll ease things when you are plockling sample start points every 5 / 10 / 15 units.

Or setup start points and save each as a ‘sound’ and use new sound pool to step sequence.

And search the forum for the fake time stretch method , using lfo .
And investigate using random lfo for sampleslot and arranging breaks in the sample list , it’ll become a jungle breaks generator.

There you go, mate: http://rhythm-lab.com/breakbeats

3 Likes

Hi Drone Head,

I used the Warp markers just to make sure that everything is in sync, as there are often slight tempo instabilities in manual drums, especially with classic breaks. I wanted clean cuts to avoid any clicks when combining the slices.

Thanks for everyone’s input, very helpful ideas!

3 Likes

There used to be an amazing archive from Dogs on Acid that was a torrent that had like every break imaginable, some brief googling has led me to believe this is gone.

This site is a really good resource:
http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk

1 Like

Rhythm-lab.com has a massive collection of breaks

3 Likes

@drone_head

You have a Pm :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Look at Brian Johnson’s channel on YouTube, aka Bizzy B. Big artist from back in the day. Lots of tips on chopping and building progressions.

2 Likes

thanks everyone. I got another question : I got pretty good results using Dacci Pucci way to slice the original amen break, however I still got an annoying little click between the 15th and 16th slice (I guess cause the cut is right in the middle of the cymbal hit waveform) is there a way to avoid that click ?

Have you tried increasing the attack on the plock a bit?

I’ll try but I guess it will mess up the timing no ?

Not necessarily. Just try a tiny amount of it, might be enough to remove the click without causing an audible problem with the timing.

1 Like

Bizzy B did some amazing stuff. Weird to think of him being from back in the day now too.

1 Like

I’ve got another question, In dacci pucci tutorial he tells to chop the sample every two step, why not cutting it step by step (like kick, snare, hats, crash) like in bizzy b tutorial ?

using breaks on the digitakt is tedious, excited to one day get an octatrack for slicing mode.

Slice mode on the OT is a faster and easier way for sure.
However I’ve become a fan of adjusting the start and end paramter by ear (can also be done on the OT of course). You often get really interesting “off the grid” results

1 Like