Best site for drumbreak

I just slice my break in DAW and that’s perfectly fine

did you try moving the warp marker for those hits, so the start isn’t in the middle of the waveform?

1 Like

Slice mode on the octa doesn’t work as intelligently as you might expect. As far as I can tell. In slice mode you put down a number of slices based on a value 4 6 8 16 and the octa puts in the slices based on a division of a length of the sample, so you basically end up having to adjust them all. (Unless of course you put in a perfect loop. )I have yet to get slices of of a drum break like you would find in a daw or machine where it would auto sense each hit and ad a slice. (Unless of course the file is already quantized and the slice grid just equally devides it)

I love my Digitakt, but if you try to treat it like a fully fledged sampler, you will become stuck and things will become tedious as you try to coax it into exact pitch and time territory.

Personally I would be inclined to programme the patterns myself, which would give you a lot more control and room for experimentation.

Here is a link to some drum and bass midi patterns, the amen break is 3 bars divided into eight notes.

http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/drum_patterns.php

If you wanted to layer a loop over the top this is a good tempo transposer, works well if the loop is a perfect bar division and you know it’s original tempo. Eg 2 bars 95bpm and you want it to be 170bpm (apply a pitch of 10.07 semitones)

www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/timestretch-calculator.htm

Thanks for the links ! I guess you are talking about the lack of time stretching but IMHO it’s not a big deal, in fact , a lot of old school DnB/jungle was produced without time stretching, Am I wrong ?

I have used Beat Cleaver to slice jungle breaks with great success into 8th or 16th segments.
https://www.oscillicious.com/beatcleaver/
You still get some clicks from time to time even though the software in theory tries to cut on the zero crossing.But I smoothed some of those in Wavelab by fading in/out so they are ready to go.

Then programming classic jungle on the digitakt becomes a joy with plocks to play a different slice at each step. Reminds me how I used to do it on the Amiga with octamed. Retrigs, reversing individual hits, changing pitch etc - all the classic tricks are so easy.

1 Like

This is amazing thank you!