Best quick noodling device as an alternative to a phone?

Recently I’ve developed a bit of a problem with spending too much time automatically checking my phone (Or digital cigarettes as I call it)

I’d like a device for quick fun fiddling with which allows me to do something productive and musical rather than look at a phone

Criteria:
Must NOT be a phone or iPad (Or I’ll just look at the internet)
Not a Circuit Tracks (Already had one)
Can do melodic and percussive (My TR-6S doesn’t hit the spot here)
Ideally small and compact (MC-707 and PT are too big)
Ideally battery powered or sips power from a powerbank
Not massively expensive (Love an M8, but a bit pricey)
Very quick, easy, playful workflow
Doesn’t have to be deep

So far I can think of either the Roland T-8 (Current front runner), or Model Cycles.

Anything else worth considering?

1 Like

Circuit Rhythm is very nice, better than Tracks for the use case you describe, also plays very nice with T-8. MC-101 is also a great choice, Electribe2/s also.

3 Likes

I love the Tracks, but it felt like you weren’t really getting the most of it unless you had 2 Volcas and the sound design required a web browser which is pointless when I have Bitwig and V Collection on my laptop

gameboy advance and nanoloop maybe?

or actually, also Analog Pocket is an option if you don’t want to mess about modding a Gameboy Advance to be less annoying!

edit: oh, wow, analog pockets are more expensive than I remember! Get a Gameboy :wink:

4 Likes

Fill it up with banks of your own samples and you’re set to go, it very much feels like a playful and enjoyable instrument IMHO, and can be deeper than first seems.

2 Likes

If you already have a Nintendo Switch, Korg has a chill app waiting for you!

Otherwise, I enjoy my Pocket Operator K.O, super easy to chop samples and quickly arrange to a loop.

The sound quality is surprisingly good for the size of the device imo !

3 Likes

The chance of me getting on to the Switch in the morning in my house is pretty much zero!

My kids have a rota and it doesn’t include me.

4 Likes

Dirtywave M8

6 Likes

You could also find a nice watch.

1 Like

Nanoloop FM

I didn’t had any of those before, but https://sonicware.jp/ has some small boxes…
Can’t tell anything about them, but I guess that could fit into what you’re looking for.

Much as I love it, it’s explicitly out of OP’s budget.

Otherwise, another vote for the Model form factor for this (though I’ve only played with the Samples, not the Cycles)

The Cycles appeals more than the samples as I already have a more capable sampler in the form of the PT so I want something that isn’t just a worse version of something I already have.

It’s a pretty tall order to have all those boxes ticked. The M8 does them all and while it is pricier than most, you get what you pay for. Nothing comes close in terms of portability and being a complete package. You can do entire albums on the M8, soup to nuts. And the developer is top tier, very active. The updates keep coming.

2 Likes

This was suggested recently:

8 Likes

op-z ticks every box.

11 Likes

M8 Would be the dream, but it’s hard to justify for the cost.

Cycles, CR, and T-8 all probably work so it seems budget devices can hit the brief.

DS Lite + Nanoloop 2 cartridge.

Hands down the most creative I’ve ever been with a portable music platform. Versatile enough that you can go beyond chiptune and get into weird territory, but also limited enough that you can quickly get ideas down.

5 Likes

How about a Nanobox Razzmatazz?

Anyone have experience?

2 Likes

Model:Cycles with a USB battery…

4 Likes