Favourite Gear for Cafe?

I can totally relate to this. Not only in cafés… For years now I’ve wanted to walk down a busy beach boardwalk, recording snippets of passing conversation, but even with the anonymity and lack of context, it feels wrong to record strangers without their permission – I’ve never done it.

(This is totally off topic. Sorry)

I’d listen back later and be bothered by pocket noise. would ruin the experience. damn these ears of mine

1 Like

Right, I would want to use a real mic.

1 Like

Sounds like a genre I could get on board with.

3 Likes

If I end up traveling more, the M8 will be a good buddy. M:C is my current fave, I also still enjoy the Rytm but even the mk1 can be quite large and visually noisy on a plane

Thankfully my seatmates have been kind and at least curious/interested. Last time I was jamming a kind older couple coming back from Korea chatted and said they should’ve asked to try it out when we landed and were loading out :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Ricoh GR or Nanoloop.

1 Like

Prophet 5, MPC60, and an RE-201 Space Echo. Any more than that and you lose the portability aspect.

15 Likes

Moleskine paper is getting pretty unreliable with fountain pen ink in my biased small sample. I switched to Rhodia paper/notebook, less charm but that paper can take some ink.

3 Likes

I was in a coffee shop last weekend and was reading the latest issue of Sound on Sound (Nice review of that polyend play thing). I’ve taken my OP1 in the past but I mostly like reading a book.

1 Like

i saw a guy sitting at starbucks with headphones playing vinyl on his portable record player, that time i thought “no, you can’t get more hipster than that”.
I guess starting a dawless jam on a cafeteria table while sipping a cappuccino could be even more extreme

7 Likes

might end up like that poor guy debating over how to clean caramel frappaccino out of his rytm mk2.

3 Likes

I got one, but the clicky keys draw to much attention when composing stuff.

1 Like

An hour plus. Maybe read some manuals I’ve long escaped or doodle on some IPad music app using earpiece. Less of “stares”. If that isn’t really a concern, play on something as small as the SmplTrk or rumoured upcoming Akai MPC mini?

1 Like

Normally I just take my 7u 104hp case

I find patching therapeutic while sipping my oatmilk latte

3 Likes

I made a couple nice beats with my Cycles in a diner in Colorado.

op-z in the rucksack most days but I don’t go to cafes much. Super quick workflow and fun for performance.

vvvveeerrrrrryyy interested to see if this is true.

3 Likes

Unironically, my double-walled stainless steel espresso cup.

5 Likes

bourgeoisie

4 Likes

this a good way to attract bandits to rob you

3 Likes