Best Polysynths you can buy right now?

I recently bought an Udo Super 6, choosing it over the Summit and Polybrute, mainly to avoid menus. My reasons were the direct user interface and luxurious, classy sound. I like to sit down, hit the Manual button and play, just as I have done on synths for a thousand years (it sometimes feels). I’m absolutely delighted with the Udo, which is incredibly inspiring to interact with - sorta like a Jupiter 6 with some DW-8000 digital waves thrown in.
At some point my Osmose will arrive, which I probably won’t program in much detail due to the yawny computer angle; instead I’ll have to brush up my keyboard skills. Exciting times!

5 Likes

I have the Hydrasynth and the Novation Summit and they work and sound great together. I have an Osmose on order which will hopefully offer a nice MPE control option.

2 Likes

Lol, no.

My Sep. 2020 post shows how ignorant I was. I can laugh at my own silly statements.

March 2021 was when I tried P5, Moog One, and others in the same room, with same speaker system. Very different experience than hearing them over the Internet.

Don’t burn too many brain cells analyzing my previous posts. I must have drunk-posted.

In direct answer to your question, hell no.

2 Likes

Eh? My team of goons goes over each of your posts with a fine tooth comb.

I had a big live vs. internet epiphany with the Pro-3. I was expecting nothing more than utilitarian sound, happy to purchase it for what I can do with all its cool features, but the sound blows me away. It’s my most exceeds-expectations purchase ever. I do like the One, but only enough to consider buying it if it gets MPE, and only then because I can source it locally. It’s discouraging that Moog’s gone 15 months without upgrading the firmware. The One also sounds a bit too niche to me, but then maybe that would turn out to be another internet-effect. Still, Matt Johnson says despite his love for the One, it’s not enough to be his #1 goto, so that would make it a true extravagance in price and bulk.

2 Likes

I didn’t think Moog One or the other analog polys in the room were terrible - they all sounded “analog” in the way I expected them to, and in a good way. It’s just that Prophet 5 sounded so much more inviting to me. As an aside, I also preferred my friend’s Memorymoog over Moog One, as far as sound character. First time I tried the MM, I though “meh, overhyped”. Then my friend said something was busted inside and he planned to fix it up and bling it a bit. After the job was done (broken key replaced, new power supply, electronics repairs, new LEDs, etc.) holy smokes it sounded amazing.

EaganMatrix Eurorack is supposed to have MPE already, as well as tuning tables and 8-voice polyphony (over MIDI). I’m favorably inclined towards it despite not hearing it specifically in person yet, because I played Continuum in person before, which, as you know, also has the EaganMatrix multi engine.

Pro 3 is under consideration.

2 Likes

I decided against the EaganMatrix Eurorack. I’m only modulating via MIDI these days, and I think that’s not going to be nearly as good as modulating it with CV. And its 8-polyphony is only via MIDI. Then also modulating via CV and not hands-on (as with Continuum or Osmose) just seems like not such a big deal unless you’re dying to get the EaganMatrix sound, which I’ll have with the Osmose eventually anyway.

The UDO looks and sounds amazing, at least on their website. Hope you’ll be posting some of your explorations!

1 Like

This is a case of amazing tech, and advancement, vs. simple done right.

This is argueable. Vermona Perfourmer Mk2 is also technically a high quality product and excellent engineered. Built to last.

But we also have a newcomer that excels in both categories: Waldorf M.

2 Likes

i’ve been waiting for someone to really show what this synth can do. i am always severely underwhelmed with iridium/quantum videos but this is perfect

as far as current polysynths, im kind of hoping that the Take 5 can provide a nice middle ground between beautiful organic polysynth and slightly complex/modern synths under or near $2000 like the pro 3, super 6, rev 2, peak. not very complex, but at least it will sound good, and it has some room for creative sound design. It would have been nice if they just made a poly pro 3 with that same p lockable sequencer

3 Likes

Yes its just 4 monos. But has Poly mode?

Of course! 4x Mono, 1x mono + 3x poly, 2x poly + 2x poly. Including a voice rotate mode so that in mono mode it plays with each note on a different voice. A4 has the same architecture btw.

3 Likes

When is someone going to make a poly 303? There has got to be a target audience for people that want the least amount of controls and the most amount of acid.

I’m calling it now, acid pads are the new trend for 2022. They lull you to nightmares.

1 Like

The closest thing that brings you into poly 303 territory would be the Roland SH01a. It’s 4 voice polyphonic.

2 Likes

I’ve already got one of those. Too many controls and not enough voices for true acid pads. I like my acid pads to have at least 8 voices.

I can’t count on Roland for anything. Dave Smith and Fender will have to team up on this one.

eurorack modular provides. You can build a 8 voice Dinsync 303 filter/voice combo or the M303 module combined with any decent midi to polyphonic CV converter.

2 Likes

Edit:
Behringer made it possible allready not?

1 Like

:smile:

:joy:

Seriously…look at the Waldorf Iridium(Quantum). Don Solaris created a 303 patch for it…and you can play that with 16(8) voices.

4 Likes

Now this is closer to what I had in mind. Now If they could just scale back the controls, and repackage it into something a little more elegant, like a grand piano.

2 Likes

Anyone suggested Waldorf M?
Sound wise one of the best choices…

What about Haken Continuum Slim?

Black corp XERXES sounds amazing - into the direction of best vintage analog polys, still “affordable”.

1 Like