Best microphone for portable Digitakt setup

Same. I tried this with the OP-1 and it’s fantastic. Bonus: you get a backup recording if you want. I used a Roland recorder I was testing out once.

Really happy I went this route, and thanks for the recommendations.

After a lot of reading and video reviews I ended up getting a refurbished Zoom H5, and it’s been working perfect.

First off it has line out with live monitoring so I can enable the built-in microphones and sample direct into the DT. This makes it optional to record into the H5 at the same time, which is what I wanted.

In my setup I was pleasantly surprised that the DT sends stereo to my DAW. I’m using the EXT L and R for input, and for some reason thought it was going to be mono due the monitoring on the DT being mono.

Also since the H5 has XLR with phantom power, the mic I have works great with it.

And of course the real bonus is being able to take the H5 with you, and do samples or use mics without your computer or DT.

Best regards,

Gino

3 Likes

Hello,friends! :grinning: How do you think it’s possible to use that portable microphones with Digitakt? from ik multimedia IK Multimedia - iRig Mic Cast 2

I would like to use it for fast sampling some noises,precussion, instruments and etc
Have no idea should it work straight to Digi or not? Will be enough power and volume…

I would be very grateful for ideas and recommendations, I’m looking for something very compact on which to make quick recordings of samples

Thank you all at advance!

Looks like it uses a 3.5mm jack for output, so it should work fine with the correct cable.

I use a cheap battery powered lav mic.
One like this… MAONO Lavalier Microphone, Clip on Lapel Mic with Omnidirectional Condenser for Podcasting, Recording, Vlogging, Compatible with iPhone, Android, Smartphone, DSLR, Camera, PC, Computer, Laptop, AU-100 https://a.co/d/0MpEoMK

1 Like

That thing works well without a preamp?

Thank you for the answer! But probably the charge of this microphone is not enough for a long time? I also found the good option in ik multimedia iRig Stream Mic Pro iRig Stream Mic Pro - Compact multi-pattern microphone and stereo/4-channel audio interface But not so cheap

I’ve been on the same battery for a year. I use it with my OP1 also.

1 Like

yes, no preamp needed. I use it with my OP1 also.

Thanks for the tip!

No battery so I guess the signal would be very weak, hence very noisy after auto-normalize…if you plan to use it with your smartphone maybe…

So you connect it to Digi input without any additional things? And what about noise and loudness at your opinion? for vocal chops/samples for example

I think the same … yes:( need to try it , but afraid that would be a disappointment

1 Like

sounds fine. I mostly clip it to my wooden native flute to sample but also used it for vocals and acoustic guitar.

Maybe consider buying a small field recorder instead. Models like the Zoom H1n or OM Systems LS-P5 can be used on their own or you can take the headphone out and feed it into the Digitakt or pretty much anything.

I’ve recently bought the predecessor to the LS-P5, the Olympus LS-3 second hand for £60. I really like it because I can record things with it stand alone then sample them later into my Digitakt or iPad (Koala). Or I can use it as a microphone for either my iPad or Digitakt and sample directly into them.

All the models I mentioned can plug into the iPad by usb and work as a class compliant audio interface to use either the mic or the line in directly, so you don’t need to use the headphone out when sampling on an iPad.

1 Like

Just ordered one. at that price it’s worth experimenting!

:+1: Congratulations! Please answer here how it will be working :ok_hand:

Recently I use Olympus ls 100 and its great, but little bit bigger that I need for everyday using … and for the traveling

1 Like

I use Zoom F3 it’s pretty nice. Use it with TRS->XLR to record Digitakt into it, or use a microphone like SE Electronics SE8 and line out of the Zoom F3 to Digitakt to sample field sound.
It’s versatile and record everything in 32 bit float so you can increase or decrease the gain without any clipping or noises.

1 Like