Best IPad sequencers

Hello,

I’m looking for decent IPad sequencers to drive my Electribe. Ideally looking for a sequencer that does mainly ambient, evolving patterns.

So far, the ones I have investigated are:

• Fugue Machine
  • Riffer

Are there any other obvious ones I am missing?

Cheers

Mozaic & Rozeta are my go-tos. The Patchstorage for Mozaic is incredible, featuring ports of the Turing Machine amongst others.

2 Likes

Had a quick look at Rozeta on YouTube and this looks right up my street.

A little off topic, but can you use AUM to sequence hardware with using 2 different apps. For example:

Fugue Machine channels 1-4 to Electribe
Rozeta channels 5-8 to Electribe

Cheers!

1 Like

Yes, absolutely you can. AUM is great for that, in fact. I’m playing around with a setup where I’m using Atom 2 with a Launchpad Pro to send MIDI via AUM to a pair of Volca Samples and various hardware synths. Haven’t had time to really explore the full potential but early signs are very interesting and a lot of fun

1 Like

Thank you very much. Yeah this is the first time I’ve thought about using an iPad as the ‘brain’ of my set up. Very daunting, but I must say it opens up so many possibilities.

2 Likes

We have such an incredible tool in AUM that I’m sure you’ll find yourself becoming really comfortable with it very quickly. You can also map AUM parameters to external controllers very easily which makes it even more powerful in a live context

1 Like

To add to the above excellent suggestions: polyphase, which has a bit of learning curve, is brilliant (also has a decent internal synth).

2 Likes

Whatever you do, pair them all with StepPolyArp. It’s an incredible arpeggiator. In fact, Fugue Machine and SPA are pretty much a match made in (insert your happy place here).

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll take a look!

Drambo is a very good sequencer. Also can do your AUv3 hosting.

The developer is doing a lot of enhancements to the sequencer right now and the next release will add so much.

5 Likes

Excellent! Another one I’ve never heard of!

Now this is one I have heard of…but defo need to research abit more on!

1 Like

Drambo can fill so many roles in a setup. It has a learning curve but I wish I had bought it before I spent hundreds of dollars on other AUv3s.

1 Like

What is AU hosting please?

For my above example with fugue machine app/Electribe hardware…how would this work?

Thanks

So Fugue Machine can be both standalone or hosted as an AU. AUv3 is just the iOS version of Audio Units or VSTs. Some apps are AUv3 only, some are both AUv3 and standalone.

Do you have a class-compliant interface for audio and MIDI IO to rock with the iPad?

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining.

Well, I’m messed with fugue machine/Electribe and it seems the tribe can receive (and I think send) midi via usb. I’ve not got an audio interface or anything.

You can use the standard sequencer in Drambo with p locks etc like the elektrons and you can also build your own with various step sequencers sending cc’s to whatever you want, just build and explore and try things out

2 Likes

Thankyou. I’ll have to give it a try.

1 Like

You SHOULD be able to use FM with the Electribe via MIDI USB. Audio, obviously, won’t be passed through. Honestly, AUM may be one of the most useful tools for any iOS musician. If you’re just getting started, I’d suggest AUM, Fugue Machine, and StepPolyArp to start with. Getting an audio/MIDI IO will also open a whole new world of FX, sample manipulation, and “cheap” synths that are bananas.

1 Like

Yeah you can definitely use FM with Electribe via midi usb, I had it running today.

Cool, I’ll pick up AUM and the StepPolyArp and have a play :+1:

1 Like