Best idea for 1u rackspace for synth-based producers

If you don’t mind me asking where are you located? I’ve just been on eBay and there are a good few MOTU boxes in the states. Obv other brands are available!

I used to have an MAM Freebass 383! Wasn’t half bad. Should have kept it.

I’m in Toronto, Canada

1 Like

I second this wholeheartedly. What a convenient machine. Being able to connect everything with everything (rtp, midi, usb) is mind-blowing.

1 Like

I’d second the Vermona (or other) Spring. It’s everything that software isn’t. So many uses from vocals to percussion to mechanical noises.

Or patchbay.

1u line mixers are pretty handy:

(16 channel…expandable with another unit…~200$ used…just make use you get the later moel w/o the RJ11 power socket)

2 Likes

This was another idea I had - 1U rackmount mixer. The Samson SM10 model seems decent. There are some good looking Tascam ones, but they are somewhat expensive.

1 Like

MOTU MTP AV is great, but the menu diving (when trying to use it purely from the front panel) has made me scratch my head sometimes. Not trying to argue, but really, I tried and gave up. Maybe since I was also trying to use it with a vintage Mac and then had to deal with “patch bay mode” vs "computer mode,’ things were more complicated for me…? I don’t know.

JLC MSB+ and DMC MX-8 (and similar) might require fewer keypresses when operating from the front panel. I also like that they have the dedicated display to show which port (or processor) is routed to each output; I don’t remember if MTP AV shows those routings at a glance?

Hmm I see the Novation A Station already made the list. I might consider a few cheap menu divey oddballs from the late 80s or early 90s like a Roland D-110, Yamaha TG-55 or a Roland Fantom XR if you want to go 21st century upmarket synth sampler hybrid.

2 Likes

Not a fan of the GT, the cheap distortion is just noisy and limits it’s use for me. Get a OG Quadraverb if you want one.

But the GT is still a regular Quadraverb, just with the extras you can ignore. No?

1 Like

That’s modular synth talk right there.

5 Likes

Hmm, I never have a problem. Just turn one knob to select the input port, the knob next to it to select the output port, and hit the yes/no button to connect/disconnect the routing :-). You can go a lot deeper, but the stuff you do in actual use I find pretty easy. I think the USB might still work with the latest version of windows, but there are no drivers for mac anymore, so I do everything from the front panel.

2 Likes

You can turn the pre-amp down in settings but you can not bypass it.

1 Like

Same here, I’ve never had it plugged into a computer. Like you say you can route by cables or channels and it’s a doddle, just use the knobs.

1 Like