Best idea for 1u rackspace for synth-based producers

Like most you (I’m assuming) I’m basically a synth/drum machine based producer. Synths include Nordlead 2, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland JU-06A and Erica Synths DB-01.

I have a cool studio desk which has a 4 U rack build in that is currently only housing my 3U Moog Slim Phatty. I track my synths through a small mixer and fx pedals into my Focusrite 4i4 into Ableton.

That single 1U rackspace is always there, staring at me, telling me to find something to fulfill it’s destiny.

What are some good ideas to make use of this space? I was thinking of maybe grabbing a cheap Yamaha TX81Z or some old rack effects unit (like a Alesis Midiverb II or SPX90). Or maybe one of those Furman power conditioners? Is there anything that would be cool to send my
synths through?

3 Likes

Roland XV2020 / JV1010 + Boss RSD-10 / RPS-10?

2 Likes

I have a yamaha spx2000 and rate it highly. Other than my ssl bus compressor it is the newest bit of rack gear I have. The reverb is outstanding for the money, i’d say you will be spending thousands on a lexicon or similar to beat the Yamaha Rev-X reverb algorithms.

Used to have a quadraverb, moved it on.

I still have a couple Boss SE-70’s, a Ensoniq DP/4 (getting pricey though) and the SPX2000.
But I have more compressors than anything, mostly 3630’s I use on individual percussion lines in part because they are cheap. You can use them on the master with the kick volume up and they give you this pumping effect, that is what they are famous for. Not really good for vocals but for Drums/synths they work.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have enough synths. I would add a reverb (like a Vermona spring or Lexicon) or a compressor (like a dbx). Used ones can be had for reasonable prices. (So much better than using plug-ins.)

2 Likes

That’s so weird, I’ve spent the last couple of evenings researching rack 1U synths. The Emu Morpheus looks like what I’m after (pads, atmospheres and drones basically) though I would like the classic mid-90s Japanese sounds. Could just grab a Quadraverb and run stuff through that for classic sounds.

1 Like

I used to have two Boss SE-50 in a rack together. I kept one for quite a while and recently thought that it had a rough but cool quality that all my fancy Strymon pedals don’t.

I also had a couple of Lexicon MPX-1s which weren’t bad at all but I bought them cheap and sold them for a profit so I could buy other gear.

I’m actually interested in finding something called the Alesis Akira. Maybe even a Boss SX-700

Empirical Labs Fatso :grin:

2 Likes

Although it is no longer supported as an audio interface, the MOTU 828 Mk2 is a very competent 1u digital mixer that is controllable from the front panel.

Lexicon MPX500 can be upgraded with a new ROM to MPX550, which adds a digital compressor. The Roland SRV3030 has some more out-there reverbs. Mine occasionally crashed, so I ended up replacing it with a Space for live shows.

The Rolands have already been mentioned, but Korg and Yamaha produced a lot of 1U and half width ROMplers in the '90s. SoundOnSound reviewed most of them - those reviews are good for specs but often too glowing to be useful in differentiating among the models. Fortunately we have youtube now.

The Morpheus and a few of the other 1U EMUs had a good collection of EMU’s Z-Plane filters. I think there is a recent euro Z-Plane module based on those same filters. The only other way to get those filters is via the bigger EMU samplers.

1 Like

Lexicon PCM80/81 or Eventide Eclipse

1 Like

11 Likes

Patchbay.

16 Likes

Beat me to it!

2 Likes

This. This is always the answer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been considering a Samson S-Patch +

2 Likes

Do it!

Synth: E-Mu Proteus 2000 / Orbit-3 / etc loaded with 4 roms

FX: Eventide Eclpse

1 Like

Quadraverb.
Everything you do will sound better.

FB-01 + SE-70 or VF-1

1 Like

That’s an interesting concept…

4 Likes

Gets my vote. Just bear in mind it’s a pretty deep (front to back) synth, similar in depth to an Akai S3000. Maybe not an issue in a desk tho?