Best idea for 1u rackspace for synth-based producers

MIDI Router

2 Likes

Roland MKS 50 and then sell that Boutique thing :rofl: The MKS is a Juno alpha in a box. Sounds really nice and „Junoesque“

Can be programmed with iPad App.

I can recommend this option. Every time I think I want a Quadraverb, I remind myself that the SX-700 is there in front of me.

However, I still want a Quadraverb at some point.

Also, get a patch bay.

Quadraverb is cool, but I found it tricky to incorporate outboard effects without also having a patchbay.

Synth-wise, as others have said the e-mu rash’s are great. The proteus 2000 range have a decent selection of the z-planes of the Morpheus, but not all. They are cheaper though.

There is also the Roland d110 which is very cheap and gets you most of rhe way to a d50 sound.

This is something I realize each time I see photos of some interesting rack unit from the 80s. They includes a shot from on top and it’s like 20 inches deep!

1 Like

This isn’t a bad idea. Any recommendations on a good model? I’ve seen the iConnectivity MIO XL, but it’s pricey.

it really depends on what you want to achieve, but the MIOXL is great since it is a standalone and routable unit. There is also the MOTU MIDI Express XT, which has also a good routing functionality, but it can also be a Blokas MIDI Hub doing the same job (but not 1U rack though…)

1 Like

I’ve got a MOTU MTP AV that I wouldn’t be without. 1u and you can do everything from the front panel controls :+1:

3 Likes

I need that in poster size…! Srsly, that would be so cool…

There are your two reasons:

99 It looks great in a rack
100 It´s the all time classic reverb

On the other hand, the z-plane filters are really great! Though I´d probably go for the eurorack Morpheus instead. Price roughly similar to the Morpheus or Proteus 2000 rack synths (afaik the two 1U racks synths that featured z-plane filters), but the eurorack z-plane lets you real-time modulate the filter in three dimensions, whereas the rack synths only allowed morphing in one dimension, the other parameters were fixed at note on.

Due to processor limitations back in the day, the original Morpheus was capable of real-time morphing in one dimension, but interpolation in the frequency and transform dimensions were set at note-on and remained static for the remainder of the note.

2 Likes

My favorite 1u synth is the Novation A-Station.

Great sounding little VA poly.

BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer.

1 Like

old but gold, these also were very stable!!

1 Like

The Furman is a solid choice. I have one 1U power strip that has outlets on the back, and one that has outlets on the front. I like both of them.

I also find having a MIDI patch bay / router basically indispensible.

I do heart the Quadraverb and Quadraverb GT, but if you’re using Ableton I wonder how much use it’ll see compared to some utility gear like the above.

2 Likes

This is the best midi router that has ever been made. I have one too and it is amazing. Strange that it has been totally forgotten and is so often overlooked. It is still better than all the modern options (especially when it comes to timing). I keep thinking about buying another one in case mine ever craps out, but it is 25 years old and still going strong lol.

You could also just do a 1U blank panel :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’m in the same boat regarding buying another. I actually bought mine faulty, no power off fleabay donkeys years ago. I think the USB model was out at the time? Either way it was something and nothing.

1 Like

A patch bay is SO nice

1 Like

I’m a big fan of patchbays (and +1 for the Samson mentioned earlier – the only one to my knowledge that combines a decent price with configuration switches IN THE FRONT, where they belong!!). If you’re already using a mixer and/or interface with enough ins and outs to meet your needs, you may not need one, but having one does open up a lot of cool possibilities. You also mentioned a power conditioner, which while unglamorous is a great tool to have – I’ve had my Furman PL-PROD for long enough that two of the front panel LEDs have burnt out, but the important bits still work a treat. Good for power cable management, too, having all but one of the receptacles in the back.

As for synths, my fav 1U will always be the Oberheim Matrix 1000. They are crazy expensive these days, and were always difficult to program, but holy #(#$ did that thing sound good. I haven’t used one for years but if one showed up for a decent price I’d jump on it.

1 Like

You’re a bad influence…or a good one? Just picked up another off eBay :+1:

To be fair I’ve been getting around to doing that for about 20 years…:rofl:

2 Likes

A MIDI patchbay is really sounding like a great idea. Thanks everyone.

3 Likes

Isn’t anyone going to suggest grabbing another rack frame to remove the 1u limit ?

Maybe Velcro a load of pocket operators to a tray that slides in and out ?
Virus rack ?
Emu orbit
Vintage keys tx81z
Digitech studio quad ?
Mam mb33

2 Likes