Best hardware midi arpeggiator

Good one. The Blokas Midihub has MIDI FX including Arps.

This is what the Arp Pipe do :

Arpeggiator

A modifier pipe that produces arpeggios using the held down notes at the given rate, using the velocity of the last note held down or aftertouch. Swing and accent can be applied to the produced notes. The notes produced are quantized to the tempo, so MIDI Clock messages must reach this pipe for it to be able to do its work. The notes only get produced on quantization grid.

The arpeggio sequences will get repeated on the next octave, according to the Octave Range parameter.

Placing a Sustain pipe in Chord mode on the left can free up your hands for other duties.

Multiple variations of note sequences can be selected:

Type Description
Up Go up.
Down Go down.
Up and Down Go up and down.
Down and Up Go down and up.
Up and Down Incl. Go up and down, repeating the high note once.
Down and Up Incl. Go down and up, repeating the low note once.
Low Up Repeat the low note every 2nd time while progressing up.
Low Up and Down Repeat the low not every 2nd time while progressing up, then down. 4 or more notes needed.
High Up Repeat the high note every 2nd time while progressing up.
High Up And Down Repeat the high not every 2nd time while progressing up, then down. 4 or more notes needed.
Chords Play all the notes at once, for use with Octave parameter.
Random Play random notes based on the held down keys and octave range.
Parameter Description
Bypass Whether processing is enabled.
Time Division The quantization time.
Note Length The length of the notes, synced to grid or in milliseconds.
Quantize Note Ends Whether to snap the note ends to beat grid
Swing The amount of swing to apply to odd notes.
Accent The amount to accent every 2nd note.
Type The sequence type. See above table.
Octave Range The range of octaves to go through.
Repetitions The amount of times to repeat the same step in the arpeggio sequence.
Retrigger Octave Whether to reset the current octave to 0 when all notes are off.
2 Likes

The Keystep 37 is great too. Look at this video. Iā€™ve setted the starting point :

2 Likes

Wowzers. This looks smashing!

1 Like

That looks interesting too, but the Deviate and Mutate features on the Novation is more what Iā€™m looking for. By the way, do you own a Launchkey? I have a couple of doubts that I would like to clarify with someone who has one.

I had one.

2 questions, if you still remember:

• can the pads be configured to different midi channels, in order to trigger different tracks on the Digitakt, for example?
  • is there any way to change the MIDI channel output on the fly?
  • AFAIK, no (but thereā€™s been an update recently, good to check)

• Yes (a 3 button operation). For my part, I always had the MIDI Channel set on the DTā€™s Autochannel.

1 Like

I have one, with the new update. Havenā€™t used it much (I havenā€™t used anything much) but I can plug it in and try things if you want.

The pads must send to the same channel (the larger Launchkey allows different channels) but with the Digitakt and Model:Cycles (not, as far as I can tell, the A4), as I learned on another thread on this forum, you can send midi notes 0-7 (resp. 0-5) to trigger sounds on tracks 1-8 (resp. 1-6).

Changing MIDI channel output on the fly got a bit easier with the update since the SHIFT key can now be latched with double-tap (still needs two button presses after that).

1 Like

NDLR:

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks for the detailed description!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been flirting with that one for a while now, but itā€™s a bit expensive and Iā€™m afraid I might bored with it quickly.

1 Like

How did I forget about this magnificient Tool?

1 Like

What bugs? I never encountered any bugs. Maybe an undocumented Feature (Rotation Algorithm) but no real issues.

May I ask what gear do you own that might have an Arp included?

Iā€™m eagerly anticipating the Arp function in the Polyend Tracker which will hopefully be added in the next firmware update. As for standalone non-sampling hardware the Torso T-1 looks incredible for arps, as well as the NDLR.

The Keystep, Digitone, Microkorg and JU-06A. The Digitone is the most flexible one in the sense that itā€™s fully programmable, although not very immediate.

Can the Keystep do Scales (min, Maj, ā€¦) like the Keystep 37?

Nah, itā€™s much more basic, just arpeggiator and chord mode.

I have withdrawn the comment as I cannot now find the reference I was thinking of. In future I will make sure to have the evidence in hand before I post, as I canā€™t trust my memory. My apologies.

1 Like

Sorry, can you please elaborate on this:

ā€œThe pads must send to the same channel (the larger Launchkey allows different channels) but with the Digitakt and Model:Cycles (not, as far as I can tell, the A4), as I learned on another thread on this forum, you can send midi notes 0-7 (resp. 0-5) to trigger sounds on tracks 1-8 (resp. 1-6).ā€

How do you set up the Digitakt so that each track responds to a different midi note on the same channel?