Best gear to record hardware devices on separate tracks simultaneously

This interface from Tascam, named CeleSonic, looks very promising as well. I’m thinking about this as well! http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US20x20

1 Like

if youre recording in a daw, get the rme 802, you can extend it via adat with a ferrofish. great mixing matrix, soundquality and very short latency. for standalone recordings take the rme ufx.

i tried the k-mix, nice little box, but very sluggish controls and a bad signal to noise ratio, thats 20 db worse than the one from rme. cant reccomend it

the qupac is fine, when youre also playing live. for the studio Ill prefer rme, it has more options, shorter latency and better signal quality.

you can record all single channels, the number depends on if you doin 48 or 96 khz.

its really cool with the totamix matrix. i use it with a ferrofish adat a16. so i have 24 channels on 2 he. but i seldom use the usb recording. because the latency is so short, less than 4ms roundtrip, i just play and monitor everything through the daw, very convenient.

I almost splurged on that, but went for the QuPac instead.

I may have gone for the ice if it was this cheap!

Crazy price drop!

I have a Motu Traveler for grabs here if interfaces aren’t out of the question. It’s a standalone mixer as well.

I have the Behringer XENYX UFX1604 and it does a perfectly good job to record the individual tracks into the DAW.

1 Like

The reverb on the k-mix is nothing really special, but I do think it works fine for adding some ambiance to instruments in live use.

Why not just get a bigger 8 or 16 input Behringer interface instead? They are pretty good and not that much more expensive than getting four of those tiny ones.

I have X18 and pretty happy with it :slight_smile:
I always find difficult to reply to the quality question without to compare few record device - Soundcard and make an A/B test. But to me it’s ok i didn’t notice Overbridge better or worst. Quality is fine.

I didn’t like the Behringer UFX1604 better to go with soundcraft MTK model all the way

What’s really cool on the X18 is the weight. I backpack it and go for Live very easily. I can recall my mixing configurations :stuck_out_tongue: that’s very cool. and i re-warm is ASS with the Analog Heat at the END between Sound System and X18 master outputs on Stage.

Every decision i made on buy THINGS are Hybrid oriented (Nomad Studio and Stage, Weight and Sound Quality, Multiple goals on usage… so it’s always difficult to choose what i need because there’s a lot of requests by my side, too much i guess. and Price too lol so…)

2 Likes

I’m confused as to which one I should get… Most (all?) of their mixers just sum everything to two channels, and their multi-input interfaces—much like most others—only have a few analog inputs, leaving the rest to a digital connection. Why can’t there just be something simple, with 8–16 inputs, that I can plug everything into and then mix using software? Perhaps the Cymatics LR16 plus custom cables is the way to go…

My Scarlett pre8 should be coming soon. I will let you know how that goes.

2 Likes

I was thinking about the UMC1820 but looking it up I don’t think it’s easy to get yet and it also doesn’t appear to be that much cheaper than the Cymatics LR16.

Behringer’s analog mixers with USB interfaces built-in indeed mostly sum to 2-track. The UFX1204 and UFX 1604 are exception that do include multitrack USB and Firewire interfaces as well as stand-alone multitrack recording to USB stick.

The XR18 might also be an interesting option as it can function as a digital mixer as well as an 18 channel USB audio interface.

Finally, the reason it’s hard to find low-cost multitrack audio interfaces with 8 or 16 line inputs and no mic preamps is simply because the market for a product like that is very, very small. Most people who buy cheap multitrack interfaces or mixers want to use these to record instruments and vocals, while people who already own high-quality pre-amps or a high-end mixing desk will be using something much more high-end.

yes thx i’ve been following this thread as well…

2 Likes

Anyone here consider Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2? It is compact digital mixer with firewire audio interface 16in/16out. Used can be found for 500$ on ebay.

So how big a usb stick is needed to record with UFX without having to worry too much? What would you suggest or what do you use?

Can you elaborate on the main pro/con you found for both units if you get a minute please?Considering selling my ‘Focusrite pro40/octopre firewire combo + patchbays’ and grabbing the Ufx1604 to get more of a hands on interface for jamming/tracking to Daw but still kinda concerned about behringer quality/sound/stability… Thanks

Sure i have both in hands. I will not speaking about specifications because you can get it. I say that mainly to my hears : the sound is to me better on the SC, the EQ is better on SC, the Compressor is better on SC (it’s a limiter i know but it’s DBX and they know what they do), Reverb are far better on SC too.

Then i find the UFX1604 way CHEAP plastic, know etc…
I was really impress with the Soundcraft every signature series. I really think i will get the 22MTK when i have room for it. I choose the Behringer X18 mainly because of the weight and the recall capability. Sounds ok also.

But UFX1604 VS SC MTK or Signature Series = To me SoundCraft WON.
The only thing is you have to sacrifice tracks for FX Return so the 22 MTK gives better option that way.

1 Like

Hmm, you sure about the DBX limiters though? IMO they are terrible and I have never used them so far. Also the fx, kinda wondering about those too since I don’t find anything earth-shattering about the 12MTK fx (and the UFX has more fx than the 12MTK like reverse reverb etc)

You are probably right on the build q - IMO the 12MTK feels solid, only the trim pots feel a bit flimsy and awkward to tweak accurately.

Now I do like the 12MTK, but am still wondering about the UFX, mainly because of two sweepable eq bands… The pres and the summing on the 12MTK do sound badass though (for the price)!!!

I only compare UFX1604 and Soundcraft Signature Series (include MTK) to my Ears :wink: so that’s my feeling… FX on Soundcraft are LEXICON and Limiter are DBX if you drive it finely they are quite usable and pleasant :wink: and on Signature 16 and 22MTK theres’s 4-band (2 bands of swept MIDS).

I perfectly assume my taste for this comparison :slight_smile:

Also it’s probably better to compare 1604 with Signature series 16 on the paper specifications (for the 2 band of Swept MIDS)