Best gear to record hardware devices on separate tracks simultaneously

Thanks for elaborating on this. Reading the design engineers notes of the MTK on gearslutz had me worried about the levels there. I have no problems whatsoever using 24bit digital systems at around -24dB to -18dB peak range, so got a lil worried about this. I only turn stuff up at the last stage (premastering)

1 Like

uhh say whatt! looks like my plans to get the 12MTK just got canceled until further notice ;}

Behringer buying Midas might have been the best move theyā€™ve made yetā€¦ Dayum. This is looking like the 12MTK on steroids.

3 Likes

Hmm, thanks for the insight. At the moment Iā€™m trying to decide between the K-mix and LR-16. Both very different products, and if I got the LR-16 Iā€™d have to get a 16 channel mixer with inserts, plus buy/make the cables for itā€¦ so hmm I really donā€™t know.

And yeah, for reverb I have a Quadraverb, Midiverb III and Behringer Virtualizer Pro, but I mostly wondered if I could get away with not having to lug those to a live showā€¦

My other thought for purely getting audio into my DAW was to connect four of those tiny Behringer RCA interfaces to a hub and use them as an aggregate deviceā€¦ but that just seems like itā€™d be a recipe for disaster.

LR-16 needs cable that one side is TRS and the other side isd TS.
Such type of cable is not popular.
So,i use this adaptor.
It works.

Another recommendation for the A&H Qu series, for about the same price as an Elektron machine you get a whole lot of mixer that sounds wonderful, is extremely flexible and will make your setup work well thanks to the comprehensive routing.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you on the K-mix reverb, it feels a bit too echoy so I tend not to use it.
I like it as a mixer and interface, I have all my ins full and being sent out to to the OT for further samplingā€¦

Very curious to hear your opinions on the ufx if you go that route. I wish I had known about it before I jumped on a 12mtk, just on specs alone. I am quite happy with the Soundcraft, although I would love to be able to plug a usb drive into it and capture the audio there without getting a DAW involved.

A friend of mine has the UFX1204 and is quite happy - no major issues. Another recently got the 1604 but i havenā€™t heard his opinion yet.

RME has some wonderful audio input devices. You can connect several stereo devices at once and record each on their own track within your DAW.

You can also route any incoming audio (or pre-recorded) audio to any device that has inputs. For example, Iā€™ve routed my Moog Vger (recording this on its own track) to my SPS1 (recording this on its own track) to my external effects (recording this on its own track) all in one take.

I own the Fireface 400 which is a bit older and uses firewire but they have newer devices using newer technology.

1 Like

UFX users, does the standalone usb stick recording record only the master or also individual outs?

Edit: As far as I understand it is since it reads ā€˜16 track usb drive recorderā€™ on the cover.

Individually. And you can choose pre or post eq i believe.

^ indeed, worth noting, it always records the 16 tracks/busses even if thereā€™s nothing on there ā€¦ this means itā€™s important to have a USB device with a good USB bandwidth ā€¦ keen on one myself

I actually bought a 12 MTK too, after all. Decided I wanted full analogue summing and the UFX woulda given me only 4 outputs from Auria. One other unexpected plus of the 12 MTK was the form factor - turns out it fits like a glove inside a Magma XL controller backpack! :sunglasses:

Inital impressions are - the DAC sounds very smooth (hopefully not too much so). Certainly pleasant sounding when listening to my music library. Will hook it up to the rig soon an let you know what I think. Right now I feel like I like the DAC sound more pleasant on headphones than my UAD Apollo twin (wtf)

The pres are pretty quiet I must say! Donā€™t mind the build q either tbh, good enough for me.

3 Likes

Does your friend have any issues with making multiple 24bit recordings across multiple power cycles onto the same USB drive? Thereā€™s been talk on some other forums about people having to reformat their drives every time before they record in ā€œhiā€ (24bit) mode. If thatā€™s the requirement then youā€™d might as well just record into a DAW, imho.

I donā€™t know about 24bit issues, we consciously stuck to 16bit recordings when jamming into it, as the USB drive we had with us wasnā€™t that large.

Mind you, i still prefer to record my stuff into a DAW, for multiple reasons, esp. immediacy of editing. : )

1 Like

thx for the info how do you find the quality on recording?

has anyone tried the Behringer X AIR XR18?

2 Likes

It may be discussed in this thread btw

ZOOM H6.

nuffin beats against those preā€™s.

Allen & Heath ZED R16. True analog (amazing EQĀ“s based on the famous Soundcraft Ghost). 16 RME pre amps/converts. Build in Firewire interface. You can send 16 channels in and out (Pre EQ or Insert)with a button press and have channel 17/18 for Master record. You can even use plugins in DAW live and send it back on the channel to EQ and mix analog. Low latency. Just amazing value. Bought it for 1100 ā‚¬ used. Sounds dope and hands on faders/mixing are just a different thing.

LotĀ“s of praise here and direct respond from Allen & Heath :

3 Likes