Best audio & field recorder?

Started to use my computer again and I feel again I don’t want a computer in my setup.

To record, I thought of buying an audio and field recorder. Once I bought a tascamDR 100 mk2, but it was no succes. I think it is too old fashioned and not friendly to use.

Anyone an idea for a good recorder?

1 Like

Hey, what kind of inputs do you need? If you want XLR, I’d go for zoom H4N, which can also be used as an audio interface.

But if just a simple line in is enough, I’d recommend the Sony PCM-M10. Great sound, great interface, epic battery life. Very fast startup. Ticks all my boxes for a field recorder, basically.

An iPad with that Rode lightning-kit, would that actually give decent results? Would specific recorders really up the quality if you stay in the not extremely pro-regions?

Sorry if I’m hijacking this thread, but I really love my iPad for music making, and to be able to fieldrecord with it would really be a “perfect world” solution :slight_smile:

I thought of this one, don’t like zoom… checked some more reviews, just bought it.

tnx for both your input

1 Like

Definitely consider the Zoom H6 as well. Many more features and improvements over the H4N. I use the H6 for field recordings and it’s effortless to take these Wav (or MP3) files and bring them into any sample management program and utilize them. Have a full set of percussive samples for my Spectralis made exclusively from items found in my kitchen.

1 Like

Highly recommend the PCM-M10 as well. Very solid little piece of kit.

I just find out I placed this topic in the wrong forum.

This is my recording with the sony recorder. Plug and play, no manual needed, very clear in sound and in use

https://soundcloud.com/vandammusic/kicking-the-machines

looking at the M10 myself now, sorta; wondering if it’s okay for handling noise given that the HPF is arguably too steep and high to put it on for anything but dictating - looks terrific and is decent value nowadays too - plus it’d mount the right way on my dslr if needed - i was an early adopter of the original zoom having been an md user previously - the only issue i’ve read about is that the mic positioning and omni nature of them results in a less defined stereo width - if the wind muffler is a necessity it may put me off as it’s a bit pricey - tempting upgrade, but mostly (like OP) i just want a hassle (computer) free way to capture stereo jams directly

Can those recorders be used as a preamped microphone in live recording? In other words, do they send audio from mic to line out, without much latency?

I currently have a Behringer mixer just for preamping microphone for Octatrack. I would gladly replace them for one handy recorder.

Handling noise is pretty minimal, the thing is well-designed, and it comes with a remote. The threads are metal, unlike some of the cheaper recorders. Not sure what you mean about the HPF but it’s always sounded good to me for field recordings and even acoustic guitars. Omnis are kind of an issue if you want to zero in on a sound in a generally noisy environment, but the wind shield is only necessary if you’re outdoors. I skipped the official accessory and sewed my own out of some faux fur and a hair elastic - works brilliantly!

Yeah, that’ll work. You’ve got gain control and the latency is negligible. Audio passes right through.

Thanks. That’s great news!

Handling noise is pretty minimal, the thing is well-designed, and it comes with a remote. The threads are metal, unlike some of the cheaper recorders. Not sure what you mean about the HPF but it’s always sounded good to me for field recordings and even acoustic guitars. Omnis are kind of an issue if you want to zero in on a sound in a generally noisy environment, but the wind shield is only necessary if you’re outdoors. I skipped the official accessory and sewed my own out of some faux fur and a hair elastic - works brilliantly!

[/quote]
cool ! high-pass/low-cut - but i believe it has rather a high/steep cutoff (24db at 200Hz) i.e a bit too greedy on the low end, so basically you’d leave it off - not a big factor and certainly a small issue in the scheme of this luxury decision - nice product with good noise/distortion credentials

I´m very happy with my Sony PCM-D100.

Handling noise on the M10 is much lower than on most low-cost handheld recorders. This is supposedly partly because of better mechanical construction and because of the use of onmi mics instead of the directional mics you’ll find on most other devices in this class.
I can confirm that handling noise is not much of an issue in most practical cases where you hold the unit in your hand while doing field recordings.
The stereo image on the M10 feels well-defined and very “natural” to me. I can’t really compare it with the Zooms because I don’t have too much experience with them, but my understanding is that the Zooms are better at getting you a somewhat “exaggerated” stereo image while doing live concert recordings.
I did get the official dead cat which fits well and works great, but there are also much cheaper third-party options and you can of course DIY yourself. You only really need it for outside recordings when it’s windy; you wouldn’t need it for recording indoor acoustic stuff.
What I really like about the M10 is that the omni mics make using the recorder much more forgiving in terms of positioning that with directional mics. You almost always get a great recording without having to worry too much about where you position the mics.
When I need directional recording, I just plug in a reasonable cheap battery-powered directional video shotgun mic into its microphone input.

Use Zoom H4N all the time. Connect it to a boom mic too on occasion though this wrecks the batteries very quickly.

Easy files transfer, great sound quality. Captures wide sound sources with the angled rotational mic heads.

Alleged rugged design, though I did break one of them by dropping it from a small height and cracking one of the flimsy metal condenser mics at the top. It was fixable.

They’re pretty cheap nowadays.

I have a Zoom H5 and it’s sounds good for it’s price! However I want to upgrade to the Sony PCMD100. Might be better for the low level recordings (lower noise floor).

My less portable set is a Sound Devices USBPre 2 (in stand alone mode) and a Rode NT4 stereo mic in combination with the Octatrack.

2 Likes

i’m using tascam dr-05 - light-weight, simply for usage and cheap…

somebody says that plastic body is sensitive to wind, but I didn’t notice this problem.

Maybe it will shown at hurricane or tornado…

Handling noise on the M10 is much lower than on most low-cost handheld recorders. This is supposedly partly because of better mechanical construction and because of the use of onmi mics instead of the directional mics you’ll find on most other devices in this class.
I can confirm that handling noise is not much of an issue in most practical cases where you hold the unit in your hand while doing field recordings.
The stereo image on the M10 feels well-defined and very “natural” to me. I can’t really compare it with the Zooms because I don’t have too much experience with them, but my understanding is that the Zooms are better at getting you a somewhat “exaggerated” stereo image while doing live concert recordings.
I did get the official dead cat which fits well and works great, but there are also much cheaper third-party options and you can of course DIY yourself. You only really need it for outside recordings when it’s windy; you wouldn’t need it for recording indoor acoustic stuff.
What I really like about the M10 is that the omni mics make using the recorder much more forgiving in terms of positioning that with directional mics. You almost always get a great recording without having to worry too much about where you position the mics.
When I need directional recording, I just plug in a reasonable cheap battery-powered directional video shotgun mic into its microphone input.[/quote]
i’m sold, possibly time for an upgrade :+1:

Hi there, is it possible to plug these field recorders into the analog four and record while jamming?

Check out the Olympus ls-100 works a dream! Record MP3 or wav, sd car, xlr input, and rechargable!

1 Like