Best audio & field recorder?

Yes … I use an old Zoom H2 recorder recording the headphone out lots of the time to capture ideas

A TRS 6.5mm to TRS 3.5mm cable will do or one with adaptors, if you go from main outs you’ll need a dual TS to TRS 3.5mm (or TRS 6.5mm with 3.5mm adaptor)

Better recorders will have Line Inputs on 6.5mm jacks or even XLR inputs

1 Like

Hi there - just a quick question, I want to use a field recorder and plug it directly into the A4, is this possible? What cable would I need for this?

The whole idea is that I don’t want to use the computer at all and if just jamming with the A4 then just plugging the recorder into it would be perfect.
Also, as I would connect this via cable for recording mp3 then a low budget recorder would do I guess, but which one?

Many thanks for your help!

I’ve moved your (cross)post here, see reply above :thup:

Zoom see here, for starters, will be budget friendly and good enough for the job

Alternatively maybe search for a device to attach to your smart-phone

zoom H5 here. It’s been solid and reliable. I’ve been able to do some recordings where I captured audio from the mixer and the audio from the Mics so that I could mix crowd noise in-between the songs for a cleaner “live” recording :slight_smile:

Ok cool, I’ve ordered the Zoom H1 to get started :slight_smile: many thanks for your advice guys!

1 Like

I swear by the Zoom H6(or any Zoom really) the mics are great, and on the H6 you can record up to six tracks at once! It can also be used as an audio interface! Just an absolutely brilliant device!

I bought a roland r-26 after much thought… it can record all 6 inputs simultaneously which sold it as a do it all device. Normal considerations apply, it’s v wind sensitive and handling sensitive if pushing the internal inputs but other than that it’s been rock solid as a gig recorder, field device, impromptu vocal (has phantom) etc etc. Recommended.

Sony PCM 50 is a made of metal smooth sounding gem

1 Like

Zoom H2n is super discreet (roughly the size/shape of a smartphone), super cheap (minimal features), and it sounds decent… def not Marantz quality or anything. Can anybody say why Marantz portable recorders are all $600++ ? that, or an Edirol audio recorder… always wondered about the qualities of these.

Shame they discontinued the PCM-M10! Mine is pretty bashed up but still trucking. Gonna use it until it falls apart…

I use Zoom H1. Tiny and very easy sampler to use. It needs only one AA battery and it last forever. It supports up to 32GB micro SD-card, but bigger the card, slower the start up when powering on.
I bring it with me all the time and I’m very happy with this device. Super simple and good enough.

Just be careful with it when bringing it with you. If the mics get hit hard by something they can break off. For preventing this kind of damage: Wrap the sampler in a plastig bag or someting when you keep it in a backpack or pocket together with keys and what not.

1 Like

Looking for some advices, I would like to purchase a decent audio recorder for live usage on stage and will also do some amateur field recording. I don’t need tons of inputs just a balanced stereo ins is enough to capture my live acts from the mixer.

I would love to get that Sony PCM D100 but seems unavailable here in EU so has anyone any experiences with it or have some suggestions?

The default answer these days is whichever Zoom fits your budget/feature needs. If you’d like something a bit higher quality, the Sound Devices MixPre IIs are the next step up.