Behringer Wasp

Interesting in a way, yes, but also more than 10 years old. If you read through this thread for example: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/183291-diy-edp-wasp-clone-pixie-wasp.html you may see that Pixie has had quite a lot of reliability issues…

Yeah cool. The Wasp design isnt exactly new though is it? and people have been making clones of it for more than ten years, same with 303s 101s etc, people have been making clones of old synths for years.

Anyway, I was simply saying hey look at this interesting synth I saw. I can delete the post is it is causing disquiet.

Yeah, no harm done. You were just doing it in Behringer Wasp thread which is why I asked why would it be an option instead of the much cheaper and new BWasp…

I know its all very confusing. I mean why would anyone want a Beringer wasp (699AUD) when they can buy the cheaper and more fully featured Novation Bass Station II (599AUD) ?

Fun fact, one of the dudes that worked on the original wasp, helped develop the BS2. Basically the same design… 2 DCO, multi mode VCF, VCA etc.

Oh no, I did it again!

1 Like

I believe one reason is that original Wasp synths and other clones of it are way more expensive. Original Wasp is considered somewhat of a classic and is rare.

I dunno what’s up with your Australian pricing but the BSII costs USD $140 MORE than the Wasp here. Wasp is waaaay cheaper. I’d buy from a US seller if I were you because it sounds like you are getting taken for a ride with that pricing.

Haha. You have no idea. Shipping from USA is usually cost prohibitive. There are rarely savings to be had from buying from USA.

3 Likes

Hi all, I’ve just uploaded a demo video of the WASP Deluxe. Maybe you find it interesting or useful for patch inspiration.

6 Likes

Sounding great, killer low end.

If anyone wants more inspiration on what the Wasp sound can do, Samples From Mars released a WASP pack a couple years ago. It’s one of my favorites of theirs (along with the Voyetra).

Otherwise, I am still a little bummed there’s no external control of the filter frequency, not via MIDI or CV. :cry:
I would have totally bought a pair of these to use as a stereo filter, but without such control I’d have to build a robot to control them both at the same time and I have way too many other projects to be taking that on right now.
I just love the crunchiness of the HPF at high resonances, the way it breaks up. It really makes me miss my pair of MAM Warp-9s.
Will have to go with a pair of Doepfer Wasp filters instead.

5 Likes

Just noticed that German Amazon is selling them for 238 € if anyone is interested (and quick).

It’s now selling for 154€ that’s crazy!

2 Likes

Where?

Amazon.de see link above.

It looks like it’s used with some cosmetic damage.
Anyway, Amazon and its Warehouse is weird, I think sometimes they accidentally mess up price because of some mixup.

The WASP is definitely ON SALE new, i posted when i spotted it over on the Deals Perenial thread. Not sure the detail on why but it’s on sale many places. The sale is coming from Behringer.
I could see them doing an upgraded version as they did with the D series and PRO series, so maybe, though i speculate.

Absolutely insane!

Wow that sounds great :heart_eyes: ( why is there no ears with hearts sticking out emo?)
Is there wasp osc clones in eurorack world?

My guess, and it’s pure speculation, is that Behringer has a HW upgrade and they are clearing stock. Perhaps a version with a lot more CV control. The WASP at present could have been more like a semi-modular and they could probably make a version with a plug field for about the same money.

Or maybe it just did not sell as calculated and they want to get their stock clear.