Behringer Wasp

I’ve never played a Wasp and was a bit suprised to hear that the filter in this demo sounds very similar to the OSCar filter in some parts. Well not so surprising consdering it’s designed by the same bloke, but I thought that the filter design itself was different.

Does anyone know how the filters in the two synths are designed? Also, it would be interesting to know the similarities and differences in the oscillator design.

Agreed. I’d be surprised if they did do the Cat given how close it is to the Oddy under the lid…although that might be a good enough reason given that it wouldn’t be a huge job to Catify their Oddy?

Personally I want then to do the Synton Syrinx. Now that would be something special! Saw a post around here recently listing names B have recently copyrighted (or however it works). Didn’t spot any Synton references but there was Kobol and PolyKobol…drool…:heart_eyes:

From memory the Oscar uses digitally stored waveforms and the oscillator runs under uP control where as the wasp uses an oscillator based on the 555 timer chip. Not sure about the filters but I’d hazard a guess that the Wasp one will be a simpler affair than the Oscar one?

It’s been a looong time since I’ve been through the service manuals and schematics tho!

2 Likes

Thanks! That means at least the oscillators are quite different. My memory’s slowly coming back here :slight_smile: I think the OSCar uses two LM13600 opamps in the filter.

Despite the external similarities, the Cat is quite different from the Odyssey electronically and soundwise. I’d put it closer to the Pro-One in sound - deeper and darker than the sweet Odyssey. Not that this makes a Cat clone more useful. Lol

The Syrinx! Now that would be something. If they can find one…

1 Like

Apologies if it’s covered up thread: I read the wasp filter uses (I think) a cmos inverter. No idea about the OSCar.

I was under the impression they were that similar that Octave released the Cat SRM to stave off let’s say ‘interest’ from ARPs legal eagles… I’ve got an SRM and the filter is an SSM 2040 from memory.

Synton released 6 Syrinx desktop modules in 1995. All were red and all sold instantly…I wonder if Uli was one of the chosen ones?:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I thought they moved from discrete to SSM for cost reasons. But I may be completely wrong. It does sound quite different from what I remember (didn’t own them at the same time).

Anyhow it’s a lovely synth. I also had the SRM 1. Did you discover the 4-step sequencer trick? :slight_smile:

Uli has enough money to be the chosen one :wink:

1 Like

He he! Yes sir, I did indeed! I can still remember the look of utter bafflement on the face of my then lodger and pal when I was tying to explain it to him! He wasn’t musical in anyway😂

I’ve still got the Cat. It’s a resto that’s 90% done. I had to search high and low for the correct white capped slide switches to replace most of the ones on the synth as they’d been snapped off. Even then I had to make one switch from two for some switches by swapping the white actuators over on same spec black switches…which I had a pig of a job sourcing. Other fault finding and repairs and a keybed rebuild with new bushings. I’d love to source the the knobs as most were missing. It’ll get finished one day but at least it plays! Well, it did the last time it was plugged in but that was many moons ago🙈

And I always thought cats were clean animals :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Lovely! You’ll get there one day :+1: Wish I knew about a source on the knobs…

I modded mine a little aesthetically, to partly resemble the first version. A couple of old pics…

6 Likes

That’s a lovely looking example. :+1:

1 Like

I like the babynaut amazed by synth :v:

2 Likes

Leaving this here… Looks really great and sounds really great, big chunky knobs, looks like I’ll be purchasing one at some point.

1 Like

This aint mine, but very cool Wasp clone. If I wanted another mono synth, I’d totally get this.

1 Like

That is a DIY clone that costs three times as much as Behringer Wasp… Why would anyone want that instead of Behringer?

Berhinger Wasp Clone 699AUD
Elby Wasp Clone 1374AUD so its almost twice the price, not thrice.

Why would any one want the Elby Clone? I dunno, maybe they like the extra features, form factor etc?

1 Like

Fair enough… In Europe the price is about three times more for used Elby Pixie vs new BWasp.

Pixie doesn’t look too appealing to me though. It’s DIY and kind of clunky.

Aye. Probably due to Berhinger wasps being made it Italy, Elby stuff is made in Australia.
The Elby one has extra filter, more DCO wave shapes, extra mixers, ring mod, hard case.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

3 Likes

That Elby looks cool, dislike the case though, but yeah in USD it costs $1,017 with shipping and the Behringer Wasp costs $298, three times as much plus an extra $123. You could literally buy a Wasp, Model D, K2, and TD-3 for a small premium over the cost of the Elby alone. Pretty wild! The Elby is definitely not how I would spend my money. In fact, my friend just bought a Prologue 16 voice new on sale for USD $1,100 during black friday, and who would buy the Elby over something like that??