Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

I want my 777 back :’-(

2 Likes

:slight_smile: :+1:

Well, the original 303 was a corporate product designed to make money. Every clone has been designed to make money. No one has ever made 303 clones just to get them into the hands of poor, struggling musicians. This B 303 is going to be the most accessible of all, and probably the most well made out of all the 303 clones ever released. The Avalon is cool, but not perfect and has plenty of bugs. If the B has any bugs at launch, you know they will be fixed based on the track record of their previous synths. Don’t be sad! I’m guessing it will have a much better sequencer than the original, and nice effects too. Bring it on!

edit: I’ve been informed that the bugs I was aware of in the Avalon have been addressed in a recent firmware.

11 Likes

I am also quite happy with the TB03 sound. Used to have the real thing, but sold it long time ago when moving countries with most of my hardware. Now keeping studio on the table rather then in racks, TB03 does its duties exceptionally well. Only minor drawback are its small potentiometers but other then that, happy camper.

1 Like

Once again I’m left wondering why Roland didn’t simply contract out reproductions of their classic synths and drum machines to an analog synth manufacturer. Seems like this 303 would have been a simple product to them to try this approach. The first B repros were announced years ago, they’ve had plenty of time to pivot and do exactly this. Maybe they feel that due to the vertical integration and buying power of Music Tribe, they would simply not be able to compete on price. I guess an officially sanctioned clone with the Roland badge on it isn’t any more “legit” than any other clone. Bizarre state of affairs though, I could not have predicted this weirdo future we are living in.

1 Like

These kind of threads make me question the valuation of certain adjectives

1 Like

The JUPITER-X & Xm Story

They did it with Malekko for the system 500 (so, not really a reproduction but a new system inspired from an old one). They also did the SE-02 with studio electronics… but I guess Roland is now a dsp company at heart.

LOL! These statements make no sense, they currently sell versions of many of their past instruments! They sell MANY emulations of past products. Certainly feels like they’re chasing the ghost to me, and it’s making them lots of money.

4 Likes

You could say they are not analog reproductions but digital re-interpretations…

But anyway, I don’t see what is exactly ghostly about electronic circuits of which they know the design better than anyone.

knew :smile:

1 Like

and yet they couldn’t get the accent right on the TB-3… (not TB-03 which has been modified in this regard)

2 Likes
  1. The x0xb0x is open source and was not made for profit.
  2. The Avalon does not have “plenty of bugs” I’ve been writing and gigging heavily with it for years. It’s hands down the best option there is, and the additions were very carefully chosen and implemented.

I’m still interested to see how this one pans out. 3x 303s wouldn’t be the worst place I could be.

3 Likes

Want to buy one?

xoxbox design was done as a fun project, it’s not a commercial thing that’s sold in stores. I know what you’re saying though, but it’s not really what I’m talking about. From what I’ve read, and from my limited use, the Avalon still has some fairly serious bugs that have not been addressed. I’m not saying there are hundreds of them. Maybe they’ve been addressed by now, I know some firmware updates were in the works. I’m not slamming it, it’s an AWESOME synth. More options are great though, I agree!

tb-03 ? neh, already have one.

The builder clearly forgot to add the potentiometer guide below the faceplate.

this was the reply I got from the builder at the time, so it seems the potentiometer guides are in place.

“Yes, that is normal. The shafts of the big knobs are held stable by brackets. The small knobs are held in position by a potentiometer guide underneath the case. They touch this guide when turned, resulting in the feeling you described. The small knobs of the original TB-303 and TB-606 are also held in place by contact with the case.”

Inevitable I guess.

I agree with @pidgeo that the fx on the tb-03, well the dist/overdrive anyway, sound absolutely crap, the delay is good and reverb just ok. I think the tb-03 synth sounds pretty good, definitely suited more to higher acid lines though especially when compared to my self built x0xb0x, TT-303 and real TB-303s.

The tb-03 definitely has some advantages though, it will be interesting to see what the Behringer will bring to the table, and if they get the sound right, which based on their previous “tributes” could go either way.

The Volca Nubass could be a bit of competition for the Behringer, it is an interesting acid synth in its own right, and since we are on the Elektron forum the A4/AK are great for acid, well worth remembering if you have one and you don’t want to buy any more stuff :wink:

8 Likes

No I’m talking about a 777. :sunglasses: