Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Two TD-3s an RD8 and RD9 = Rebirth for under £1000

8 Likes

Oh man. As a young teenager somehow rebirth ended up on my PC and i toyed with it having absolutely no idea what it was emulating :smile:

Years later i found out what it actually was…

4 Likes

Back in the late 80’s, I was listening to acid house music but I didn’t know how it was done. For some reason, in these days I had regularly access to a DX7. You can tell what happened… I tried to recreate the sounds I loved using the FM synth. Saying it was not an easy task is quite an understatement. I learned much about FM synthesis though, so when I had my first substractive synth my reaction was a bit like this: “Wait ? What ? That’s all ? That’s way too easy.”

14 Likes

In the loopop video he only matches the pot positions. I’m sure it will be possible to achieve the exact same sound if he tried. Given how close they sound in the video.

Not that it would matter to me personally… it’s got THAT sound.

3 Likes

I think it has to do with space. I’ve been buying up battery packs and ripcords because my desk upstairs is just too crowded. I just want to go sit on my couch, lay out 2-3 synths and jam. To do this would be power cable hell running across the floor. Now I just have a couple of battery packs, short interconnects and headphones or audio out to my stereo.

A dedicated studio space would be cool, but I think that is kinda rare for most people.

Y’all got me by a mile. I went to my first rave in '93 when I turned 18. Amazing times. But I used to wonder what and where the sounds and tones came from. I had no clue about drum machines or synths.

In '97 I ignorantly bought an MPC and a friend of mine gave me a 303. I used to throw raves so stuff was coming and going for a number of reasons. Anyway, I didn’t know you had to put sound in the MPC and foolishly traded the 303 for something else.

It wasn’t until the early 2000’s I was at the Winter Music Festival, drunk, when I asked Christian Smith how he made certain sounds. He said, lots of delay and feedback.

I haven’t looked back since … :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Rebirth must have been the start for so many people.
The first track I rendered was with Rebirth (it was in 2001, I think) as a birthday present. There were drop outs all over the recording :laughing: my computer couldn’t handle Cubase (IIRC I used Cubase to capture Rebirth, Rebirth was running without problems on that computer).

2 Likes

I just cancelled my TD-3 preorder from Thomann after playing with an RD-8 for a few minutes. I think Behringers reissues aren’t for me.

another alignement problem with the TD-3 design ? :rofl:

2 Likes

How many times did you build a four on the floor kick pattern on the RD-8 if you only used it for a few minutes? You said you “consistently” misplaced step 9 on step 10, makes it sound like you used one for longer than a few minutes…

hilarious… or you need some small cactus plants, a “this synth kills fascists” sticker, and some southwestern style blankets under your synths on a table so you can be woke and artsy by a window while its raining.

Also a battery seems like a pain. Kinda like when the apple mouse battery dies right when you are scrolling important YT feeds of tutorials. I’d rather the 303 be plugged in.

4 Likes

Anyone knows when this will ship? Moogaudio is bad at these things

1 Like

This topic made me buy the abl3 vst. Very very happy with that! Especially since I can change patterns from the octatrack…

3 Likes

did you try phoscyon ?

2 Likes

No, my research led me to abl3 to be the most faithfully emusaltion. And I really like their 2nd way of editing patterns! I don’t like the original 303 sequencer mode…

I have the d.16 silver pack (303,808,909) and abl3 , abl3 is the one I return to.
It helps the interface and use is more faithful but it also sounds great and has straightforward random tools and some nice ways to alter the sound .

this is the same for me… phoscyon is ok but I keep returning to abl3

I picked up abl3 last year, love it!
Probably still gonna get a td3 too though

I was on the same page, and for this money gassing for the td3, but after some thought, this is a synth of which I really don’t see any advantage of having it hardware. If the software (abl3) sounds as good or better, assigning 5 pots on my faderfox and selecting patterns on the octatrack, saves me the space of the module with exactly the same functionality (because I don’t fiddle with the patterns while I play). It is also the only plug-in synth I have an use…

And still something in me wants to have such a little beautiful box on the table :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also ‘pure acid’ by the app developer who did gr16 is sounding very good

4 Likes