Behringer System 100

I really want to get my first euro rack system, and figured I’d start really simple and basic. I was wondering if anyone knows a place to get the System 100 complete. I saw Thomann will have it back in stock soon for $520, but otherwise is the only way to build it one by one separately? This whole world have been so intimidating (and unappealing!) to me until very recently. I’ve only ever gotten semi modular stuff before.

2 Likes

I did price it up a while ago and posted my findings on here but I can’t remember where! I forget if it was any cheaper to buy separately or as a system? I fancied getting a basic 100 system myself at the time but I’ve hung back so far. I read a few bits about the oscillators being a bit flaky in terms of tuning and I don’t know if that’s still the case (I also read the OG 100 oscillators weren’t the best in that regard too). I’ve been eyeing their ARP 2500 modules with a view to a small system. I’ve got a Marvin and I’m really impressed with it which got me interested in the 2500 family.

I’ve seen some of the B modules for sale second hand and as it’s not a particular extensive range you could always go that route with a powered skiff and save a few quid?

Behringer in the past only bundled their Moog modular units the System 15, 35 and 55. Any 100M modular bundles ( as well as ARP 2500 bundles ) are, i believe, done by the retailer.

Looking at the bundle you show it is the Behringer powered rack plus these five modules :

112 DUAL VCO
150 RING MOD/NOISE/ S&H/LFO
121 DUAL VCF
140 DUAL ENVELOPE/LFO
130 DUAL VCA

No idea why they’re arranged in that order.

Behringer has quite a few other modules in this line, you might want to look at others, like in particular the 182 Sequencer. Also there’s no reason you can’t mix in other Behringer modules from their other lines. You can check out the Behringer modular thread.

So yeah you might think about putting your own system together. No reason not to mix in some other simple modules with this.

ADDED : You might want to include whatever semi-modulars you already have into this thing you are making.

2 Likes

April 4th :

Found this video, which is pretty much an “audio table of contents” for learning the original System 100 ways of doing things, using the Behringer System 100. Following along with this you probably could sketch out the sort of system you’d need to be able to do things in the ways they were done back when this was what there was.

Looks like this is the first video in a series, but it is quite sufficient if you want the longer adventure / journey.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

17 days earlier :

Uli is talking to you.

2 Likes