Behringer Swing

My Pro-1 is 16.5" and my Keystep is 19" exactly - so it’s just a perspective trick where the Pro-1 is shown probably quite a bit higher than it appears at first glance

The Swing appears to be a bit wider - it won’t harm them to make the chassis beefier because my KS sags quite noticeably, it’s also (they all may do) got a very patchy aftertouch consistency across the keys, so not cloning that could be a win

It’s a strange clone indeed, making it with 37 keys may have been a sufficient differentiator, but it’s just not cheaper enough to sway people imho - it’s the upcoming market I guess they’re aiming for, folk just starting on their journey

This is very far from the most brazen clone, but it could be the most bizarre

Arturia in white/grey is classier and has a classier name - but folk now have an additional slightly cheaper choice

1 Like

Given their past and current penchant for virtually basing their existence on copying other peoples work, I’m just surprised that people are surprised about it.

Behringer gonna Behringe :laughing:

Clue is in the name, ringer.

7 Likes

Bartolomeo Cristofori is not amused at this blatant rip off.

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

It’s a bit blatant !!! :slight_smile:

Trouble is Arturia aren’t completely clean either so it’s hard to be that sympathetic - look at what they said about Mutable Instruments when developing the Microfreak… (claiming some of it was developed in conjunction with MI)

5 Likes

Waiting for the swing vs keystep thread

3 Likes

Well, what is better than the Schwung?

Maybe this? https://oxiinstruments.com/

Or this?

Since i have the Digitone Keys…i hardly use my two Keysteps anymore…

Behringe should just invent the Replicator und be done with it…

1 Like

There maybe another tie-in/hint, B was asking on FB a short time back (my post on that, with a broken link i think) of them doing a keyboard interface for their 2600 looking for user reaction. The Swing fills the needed (more or less) for this, as well as providing a keyboard interface for all their Eurorack stuff.

1 Like

Still a strange move to just copy it and not dig a little deeper into their minds to come up with some nifty additional features and knobs. That would’ve made a lot of sense and probably some additional sales.

4 Likes

That isn’t their thing, they didn’t do it when they copied mackie mixers, they didn’t do it when they copied Boss and EHX pedals, they don’t do it with their vintage synth “tributes”, but I agree it is pretty daft not to.

4 Likes

If I was arturia. I would keep the keystep line up going, in a few colourways. Purely out of spite.

As sensless as this is (because if you buy the Swing, it will break and you will end up buying an arturia anyway) it does open up the door for some great puns… Berhinger shitting on their own keystep?

No?

5 Likes

IMG_0077

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @shankiphonic

Brian Badonde bapproves.

2 Likes

Hey Behringer. - I want the “SWING PRO”.

1 Like

sneak peak into the B R&D team offices…

7 Likes

Check gearslutz then :rofl:

*Edit:

2 Likes

I guess they are counting on customer being really, really cheap with their money.

You only save 10 Euro or 20 US dollars by not buying the Arturia apparently?

Inexplicable. I’m at least tolerant of Behringer but this one is just … hard to explain. Exact copy (other than worse typography and maybe a chord function?). It’s like Behringer is living in a totally different culture where they don’t see this as not just wrong morally but wrong in every possible sense. This is almost China levels of ripoff where they don’t seem to see the issue at all with making something which is a blatant copy. I’ve read interesting analysis of cultural aspects explaining how the concept of cloning someone else’s work is not viewed the same in some cultures. It’s like that is going on with Behringer - but they are German. I don’t get this one at all.

4 Likes

Nope, that’s also a functionality of the original. Make me wonder if they even wrote their own firmware or just copied it.

3 Likes