Behringer RD-9

okay i really want one. i’ve wanted a tr8s for a while now and as i get a little discount on roland through my job, it’s only a bit more than the rd-9 price. way more flexible obviously, but does that 909 sound as good? sounds SO good in this little video above. damn.

mmmm shipwreck friendchicken.

3 Likes

the demo sounds great, all the nuances are there. once again Behringer clones kicks the crap out the Roland Boutique’s sound imho

3 Likes

Another point of view, on this all:

5 Likes

This picture reminds me that there is no Stereo Outs. :thinking:

1 Like

It’s not for me. I get along fine with 909 samples in M:S and OT, which also have the FX and filters I need.

Its existence, however, is an encouraging indication that perhaps the chip shortage is something we will start to see other companies overcome.

Also, I’d like to see a new generation of producers do something interesting with 909 sounds. Less formula-ridden bangers and more creative groove, i.e. Phil Collins, “Take Me Home” vibe.

2 Likes

huh no kidding. didn’t realize that. kind of odd, eh? i mean not a deal breaker but yeah… odd.

I guess they’re following the RD 8 in having only a mono mix output. If you want to pan the instruments you’d use the individual outs via a desk. Same as with the OG machines. Looking at the schematics for the 909 it’s ‘stereo’ output is just derived from the individual mono outs.

I’ve had the TR8S for half a year now (got it second hand for a nice price) and it’s my second go-to, right after the Rytm.
It’s absolutely capable of sounding warm and clear, but some settings and sounds (using FX, LFOs and Motion) might make it feel uncanny or cold, compared to a “vanilla” analog drum machine.
All in all, I’m very happy with the 909 sounds of the TR8S.
But if hadn’t recently bought it, I certainly would be considering the RD-9.

4 Likes

Nothing here you couldn’t do with ease operating a TR-8S.

2 Likes

yeah the OG didn’t have any panning facility. it did have stereo outs but that was just “dual mono.” and actually some of them apparently had a fault where plugging both cables in meant only the left output got a signal. most of the 909 sounds you’ve heard on records were likely recorded individually and heavily processed. so you want those individual outs. and likely a mixer and all sorts of other shit. or… you know… samples and an OT. (said as someone who does own a 909 clone. I just love the immediacy of it.)

5 Likes

:100:

4 Likes

That’s interesting… the individual mono drum outputs feed the individual out sockets then two lines go from the normalled jack via an input resistor each to a pair of summing op amp stages (not shown in the pic) then to the two mix outputs. The interesting thing is that for some instruments the two resistors are different values, while for others they’re the same. That would indicate some of the instruments have some hard wired panning as the different values at that point in the circuit would give different volume levels between left and right outputs. If you check out the ‘jacks board’ bit of the schematic you’ll see the different values

So maybe it’s a crude form of stereo (for those voices at least)

1 Like

3 Likes

First time I got my Yocto 808 I was disappointed at the raw 808 sound. It didn’t growl as much as I thought since I was using 808 libraries that went through so many mixing desks and compressors that the raw signal was disappointing. The only thing I really appreciate from using an 808/ 909 clone is the work flow of step programming the beats and hearing the slight nuanced variation of the same drum sound at difference levels.

3 Likes

Really been itching to get a TR8S lately for some reason.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s someone who’s excited to get one early putting something on the net , I doubt it’s someone who thinks they’re Jeff mills posting a new ground breaking drum pattern.

YouTube will fill up with good/bad videos in the coming months.

2 Likes

That guy has several decades experience live and in the studio…acid house, techno…iirc he started his first label in 1994.

4 Likes

That’s the thing at the end of the day it’s just an instrument. It’s up to the performer to make magic.

2 Likes