Behringer PPG Wave

Welp, it’s finally happening.

5 Likes

Whoa. What do you think @Scot_Solida?

1 Like

I’ll believe it when I see it - they seem always to be announcing things and some them actually happen. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

They’ve got the ability to do it right with their Curtis chip clones. I doubt it will tempt me away from my 2.2/Waveterm combo, though…

10 Likes

I’m sure this will be very good - overall their clones sound very good and now that they’ve perfected their cloning ”way of work” (processes, components) they’re able to industrialize such a vast amount of new synths, both clones and original/hybrids.

I myself just bought Goldbaby’s BlueWave for my Prophet X so I’m good for the moment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh wow I wasn’t aware of BlueWave before, thanks for that!

Also very slick move loading them into the Prophet X lol.

1 Like

Wonder how their clone of the PPG Wave might compare to something like a Mutable Instruments Ambika, sound quality-wise.

I imagine it would be hard to compare them in most ways, since all the Ambika filter options are markedly non-Curtis, and as a whole the Ambika is very different from a PPG. But in terms of the overall sound quality I’d expect the digital side of the PPG clone is built on much greater processing power than the Ambika. Will probably have a kind of clarity and definition that the Ambika doesn’t have and wasn’t meant to, etc.

1 Like

He actually made a Prophet X version so that was just perfect for me.

In terms of sound quality, I think he’s a genius and for this pack he’s done some great processing (using old fx unit classics) as well as providing the pure waveforms :blush::+1:

2 Likes

amazing, i need to pick that up and load it into my Ableton Sampler -> Decimort chain :smiling_imp:

also bet the raw waves would sound nice in the Prologue. aaaaand it kinda makes me wish I had a Deluge lol

I got a pro1 which is nice.
The ms1 isn’t quite the 101 clone everyone wanted
The rd8 has some issues
But other analogue boxes seem ok.

So the closer they get to writing operating systems ( rd8 ) the more pear shaped things get … maybe they’re improving… they make some good mixers and deepmind was good ( lots of software in that ).

Oh god. Now what.

Behringer BBG Bave + optional BaveTerm Bomputer - £270

I wish they’d just buck boff

1 Like

Can i complain about B design? No offence, but all of their clones look silly. How is this possible? You just have to copy it complitlly. My KT clone of pultec looks much better than the synths they clone. Just do the same thing with synths.

Ulli tipping his toes into the summer slump. With a lot of hardware wavetable synths on the market from other manufacturers he just want to make some fuzz…

Maybe this is not much more than something photoshopped. Recreating this would be much harder than some analog monosynth. It is the imperfection of the early digital technology which contributes a lot to the dirty grittiness of the original and I doubt behringer wants to recreate the ttl graveyard of the original (which made it quite unreliable). Wolfgang palm later programmed the digital side of the PPG Wave into a single asic which became the key element for the microwave and waldorf wave…

However the original wavetables are freely available and it should be doable to incorporate them into a PPG knock off but I guess in this case it would be hard to get a good copy of the original

still don’t get why they don’t come up with unique original stuff, there should be enough synth knowledge in the company by now to do something cool and new.

1 Like

I think he’s announcing them now quicker than they can possibly ever make them…

what’s happened to the Boland Bupiter B8 & the Bamaha BS-B80 for example ?

1 Like

I always imagine that it’s just him sitting in his office calling people and telling them “make this, NOW!” and they’re like… “Herr Behringer we still need to finish and properly distribute the others…” “I SAID NOW”

2 Likes

They really need to put their resources into new original designs.

7 Likes

100%

1 Like

Seems you could be in for a free BBG… quote from Behringers Facebook:

”We’re looking for beta testers.
As we’re making great progress with our Wave synth, we’re now looking for beta testers who want to help us test the unit and meet the following criteria:

• You own an original Wave 2.2 or 2.3
  • You have deep synth and technical experience
  • You’re willing to create videos

In return we’ll reward you with a free unit.

If you’re interested please drop us a note in the comment section.”

5 Likes

It seems they got someone on board who is really knowing what he’s doing:

4 Likes

but when is the Bamaha BX7 coming out ?