Behringer Poly D

Yeah if anything I’m noticing prices on the SH-01a going up a bit especially the red and blue ones, used MS-1s though seem to be selling for 100 less than new, I kind of predicted that though.

You can find good deals on the SH-01A, just keep looking. I purchased mine for $200 on Reverb, though the portamento bar was snapped off. I just glued a replacement on and it works fine, looks a little funky though.

Huh? Behringer ms1 for 100 bucks? I just checked ebay and the cheapest I saw was 250. You find me a 100 dollar one and I’ll snatch it up haha

1 Like

It’s not ”his word”. Paraphonic synthesizer is a term, that has been used for a long time to describe a synthesizer, that plays multiple pitches at once, that share part of their electronic signal paths.

This is different to polyphonic synth, that has a complete signal path for each voice. The ”Poly D” only has 1 signal path, and does only follow the parameters for the first note, and the rest notes disregard any filter or amp settings, and play like a string machine instead.

1 Like

I understand 100 less than new, not 100$ overall price…
( but I don’t know what’s the real price…):sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes that makes sense…

I believe the rest of the notes follow filter and amp the same way as the first note, if played at the same time.

I do think this synth is a bit expensive in Behringer terms. Model D module is a better deal. But it’s still pretty awesome and I think I’ll buy one.

Yes, they go all the way through the same path, than the first note, but as it only has 1 signal path, the rest of notes are not able to follow the programming you have made, hence the rest notes sound like a string machine.

Not sure if we disagree, but all voices are affected by filter / LFO / envelope changes if played simultaneously in a paraphonic synth.

Ah yes, in that specific case!

I think that anyone playing a para-synth and a poly-synth will notice the difference at once. It’s not exactly subtle.

Nor is the one obviously better than the other. I had a few sessions with the Matriarch not long ago and the shit it can do with a single mono sequence in paraphonic mode, is stuff a poly usually can’t.

For more traditional playing, a proper poly is usually better. For more out there stuff, a para offers options that might be more attractive.

The mother of all paraphonic mayhem would have to be the Evolver, though. Not perhaps the coolest kind in town anymore, but certainly one of the oldest. It gains cred on age alone.

1 Like

Utterly unsurprising to me because digital audio over USB and patch storage and full CC control and smaller (even on the proper analogue one).

Vermona PerFourmer can do what the Matriarch can do. It unfortunately lacks the CV control

I love PerFourmer, but it doesn’t do 2 filter serial/paraller routings, nor does it have analog delay.

It depends on key spread and filter tracking as one filter can’t track 4 notes at once, generally not too noticeable if you’re playing notes within the same octave but if you spread enough high notes will be significantly more filtered than lows.

I could be mistaken but I’m fairly sure you can’t play the mono Evolver in a paraphonic mode with keys, only messing with the per oscillator pitch via sequencer or potentially midi cc. Which generally people wouldn’t call it a paraphonic if you can’t play it paraphonically with note triggers. It’s a great sounding synth though.

3 Likes

A few VERY funny people sell the first version with “ms-101” on the panel for 100€ more than the retail price. I doubt that this strategy will be succesful! :laughing:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Behringer-MS-101-schwarz-Erstauflage-heist-nun-MS-1-Raritat-von-morgen-Wie-NEU/123970702890?hash=item1cdd3ace2a:g:-egAAOSwXNRdyB10

2 Likes

All true, especially the part on it sounding awesome. For me, the Mono evolver keyboard version is the one that got away.

2 Likes

:rofl::joy::sweat:

1 Like

This looks great. Can’t tell if it has any presets or not.