Behringer MS-1 [was MS-101]

Ask the people on the MS101 FB group how that firmware is working out. Not so good from what I am seeing. Bricked units, inability to update from Mac. 1st note of sequence missing and on and on.

Iā€™m following the gearslutz thread mostly , I did also notice most comments in the release notes were ā€˜improvedā€™ and not fixed.

I certainly wouldnā€™t say itā€™s been an ideal release , but Iā€™ve also experienced worse .
Novation seem to do it well.

Dude we get it ā€“ you hate Behringer. Lol, you emerge from the digital woodworks every opportunity that presents itself to sport the elitism.

The MS-101 looks almost exactly like the SH-101, more so than the SH-01a. Following that to its logical conclusion, if you think that the MS-101 looks fugly, then you likely think the SH-101 is fugly too.

6 Likes

bashing the bashers is also bashing
itā€™s best if thereā€™s no bashing or bashers

there could be a genuine reply about how subjective looks and or sound actually are or even introduce scale to the discussion etc - so a disparaging summary isnā€™t helping folk wanting to talk about their stuff get on with it - itā€™s pushing buttons to use BS-101 when not in jest, so letā€™s not push buttons - if folk want to buy it i donā€™t see the problem

letā€™s keep it constructive and civil everyone

pls

4 Likes

Pointing out repetitive behavior of unnecessary and unconstructive commentary is not bashing.

Suggesting otherwise is akin to calling out fake news when someone is just being the messenger.

IMO, if there was a block/ignore feature implemented on this forum like on Muffs, then I feel like there would be less instances of ā€œbashing bashers is also bashing.ā€

Not sure why this was flagged, but alright.

5 Likes

Ok maybe the fugly bit was subjective, but the firmware issues are worth knowing about, and the fact that it is marketed as a ā€œtributeā€ to a SH-101 yet manages to sound not very much like one is also a valid point, sorry if you were upset though.

1 Like

How is that less subjective? It sounds like an SH-101 in every demo, as much as any two SH-101s sound like each other.

edit: I should also add that the full size recreation is very appealing. Even if the sound is a little different, I am familiar with the interface since I already own the SH-01a and an Atlantis.

As it is, the Behringer reboot is just too big IMO. Canā€™t say I notice the sound difference (their ideal type of customer).

If it fills out the sound in someoneā€™s set up, all is good, surely.

Everithing aside, what I donā€™t get is why is it so hard for behringer to implement basic midi, and yet they managed to copy circuit design (they say so, it is not what i think about it) ?

2 Likes

I still think the filter sounds a bit too gritty on the MS101, not as elastic as the original; still nice though, in its own way.
Iā€™m not an expert though, just what I can hear through the tinnitus.

6 Likes

Even with the sound being distinct, isnā€™t it nice that it has a familiar interface with a few tweaks? Itā€™s such a powerful configuration of elements (mixer, modulation routing, etc.) for performance and sound design that I feel like more of them in existence is a good thing.

BTW, I love using the SH-01a with the modular sending gate sequences (as opposed to a regular clock) to the sequencer clock input. Have you ever messed around with that?

Its neatā€¦but no, it doesnt sound like the origā€¦on its own.
But who cares if its craftily used in a tune.
I personally think its an abomination. But thats my opin. Berh suck for doing this kind if thing.

BUTā€¦you cant see whats being used in a track unless its spelled out for you. So who cares right?
If whoever gets one loves itā€¦great!

[ill stick with my SH-101]

1 Like

Letā€™s dial this back a bit, please. Some of these posts are a bit over the line.

5 Likes

I think because I bought an Atlantis first and then an SH-01a second, I am less attached to the specific filter character, but I find this information very interesting. It is also a bit surprising because I thought Behringer was in the business of cloning chips.

This confuses me, because the degree of courtesy seems pretty high. It makes me wonder what line is being crossed.

Do you have any idea why they didnā€™t clone that specific chip?

I donā€™t mean to confuse you, and my post was not directed at you. However, for the sake of clarity (and without specifics (I donā€™t want to use this reply to call anyone out), suffice it to say that when the flags are flying and when stating opinions devolves beyond even defending those opinions and into veiled condescension or even insulting behavior - particularly when the subject at hand has consistently proven volatile - it is the unfortunate task of the moderator to try to reset the course.

4 Likes

_Personally I hope to get one , it sounds fine so far and more demoā€™s are appearing. _
I can live with any slight difference if it means saving Ā£100ā€™s , though I do have sh01a and system1 plugout , lush101 and tal bassline , so I should make sure I do actually ā€˜needā€™ it and not just want it.

This is from gearslutz regarding the filter.
Some people have asked what filter type has been used in the MS 101 synth since the original IR3109 filter chip is no longer available.
We first considered creating a replica of the original 3109 chip, like weā€™ve done with the 3340 and 3320 Curtis chips.
However we discovered alternative circuitries which you can find here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126397&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Having done detailed measurements and sound evaluations of various circuitries, we came to the conclusion, that one particular solution stood out and delivered nearly identical sound results when comparing it to the original chip.
Itā€™s important to understand that even analog chips do have tolerances and hence no two chips will sound identical, let alone comparing two analog synths with their huge amount of components.
Since Coolaudio is our chip provider, we decided to select and match our V13700 OTAā€™s to get even closer to the original tolerances.
Based on these findings, we decided that there was no need to redesign the original chip and hence we employed the best of these available discreet solutions and matching components.

Uli

3 Likes

Can you point us to where the source of what chip is used in the filter? I canā€™t seem to find any literature on this. The only thing I see is the talk about cloning the oscillator 3340 chips.

Once itā€™s in a track you wouldnā€™t be able to tell the difference.

id buy one but donā€™t have the spaceā€¦ iā€™d buy the sh-01a buts its too small.

thatā€™s my problem.

I had a sh-101 and sold it to buy a monomachine. the 101 was good. . but isnā€™t a monomachine.

2 Likes

a couple new videos

1 Like