Behringer MS-101

I think because I bought an Atlantis first and then an SH-01a second, I am less attached to the specific filter character, but I find this information very interesting. It is also a bit surprising because I thought Behringer was in the business of cloning chips.

This confuses me, because the degree of courtesy seems pretty high. It makes me wonder what line is being crossed.

Do you have any idea why they didn’t clone that specific chip?

I don’t mean to confuse you, and my post was not directed at you. However, for the sake of clarity (and without specifics (I don’t want to use this reply to call anyone out), suffice it to say that when the flags are flying and when stating opinions devolves beyond even defending those opinions and into veiled condescension or even insulting behavior - particularly when the subject at hand has consistently proven volatile - it is the unfortunate task of the moderator to try to reset the course.

_Personally I hope to get one , it sounds fine so far and more demo’s are appearing. _
I can live with any slight difference if it means saving £100’s , though I do have sh01a and system1 plugout , lush101 and tal bassline , so I should make sure I do actually ‘need’ it and not just want it.

This is from gearslutz regarding the filter.
Some people have asked what filter type has been used in the MS 101 synth since the original IR3109 filter chip is no longer available.
We first considered creating a replica of the original 3109 chip, like we’ve done with the 3340 and 3320 Curtis chips.
However we discovered alternative circuitries which you can find here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126397&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Having done detailed measurements and sound evaluations of various circuitries, we came to the conclusion, that one particular solution stood out and delivered nearly identical sound results when comparing it to the original chip.
It’s important to understand that even analog chips do have tolerances and hence no two chips will sound identical, let alone comparing two analog synths with their huge amount of components.
Since Coolaudio is our chip provider, we decided to select and match our V13700 OTA’s to get even closer to the original tolerances.
Based on these findings, we decided that there was no need to redesign the original chip and hence we employed the best of these available discreet solutions and matching components.

Uli

Can you point us to where the source of what chip is used in the filter? I can’t seem to find any literature on this. The only thing I see is the talk about cloning the oscillator 3340 chips.

Once it’s in a track you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

id buy one but don’t have the space… i’d buy the sh-01a buts its too small.

that’s my problem.

I had a sh-101 and sold it to buy a monomachine. the 101 was good. . but isn’t a monomachine.

a couple new videos

It’s just self inflecting GAS at this point hhh

Uli Behringer posted that in the Gearslutz MS-101 thread.

Interestingly, all these comparisons when matched like-for-like sound very close to my ears, yet in practise (from seeing random YouTube jams) they sound quite different. I realise both synths have unique added functionality, giving a good reason to own both. I also agree with whoever said when the resonance is pushed up sonic differences become more apparent.

i managed to brick my unit after trying the sysex update. if anyone knows how i can unbrick it, i’m all ears!

ok, it’s now sorted - just putting this here in case anyone else is having trouble updating the firmware via OS. you need to use the Behringer Updater program (found in the zip), that worked like a charm. there was me thinking all sysex dumping programs were created equal. and big up Uli for helping me right away, very quick to message me personally. great synth!

So anyone got one of these? Any feedback?
I’m seeing on Facebook people having tons of issues with the firmware

i’m mostly following the gearslutz thread.
there was a new firmware in the last few days (i think its on the behringer page , but you have to look at the Red synth page , not blue/black or something like that).

recent link

Does the Behringer have cc control of every parameter?

I really love mine, the only real disappointment is the glide is not cloned and for me that’s a major part of the OG. I also have the SH01A which I also really love, but the cliches of analog sounding richer , warmer or whatever differences people like to use become predictably apparent to my ears.

one other negative is the keybed is horrible. i’m not complaining as the price is too good to argue. i would have happily paid twice as much if they had nailed the design and build quality.

No Midi CC control over parameters on the MS 101.

I thought not but thanks for confirmation.

Best demo playing-wise ive seen so far. Sounds deep.

Whoa…major ball drop. That was something that coulda made it something.

That would need an additional digital control layer, though. Faders and buttons would have to be scanned etc.
Extra work, extra cost, potentially extra problems.
Would be cool though, cause we could through p-locks and lfos at the 101^^

But then…the 101 layout wants to be played by hands and there’s not many parameters so no need for patch memory anyways.

Pdf manual can be find online btw.