Behringer MonoPoly

Hmm, OK.

2 Likes

Can we not stage this pointless debate in every ****ing Behringer thread, over and over again? It feels like Kafka took over Elektronauts sometimes.

14 Likes

And re-mortgage your house.

1 Like

In defense - as Iā€™d stated - I havenā€™t been paying any attention to the other B threads so donā€™t know what the feedback was. I wasnā€™t looking for a convoā€¦just some quick feedback.

Starsky Carr has several side-by-side comparison videos of Behringer products with the originals. The general consensus in these videos seems to be that they get pretty darned close in the places that count (I saw one video of the Roland 100 vs the Behringer 100 vs. the Roland 500 modules where the Behringer sounded more early Roland than later Roland did).

I have a Behringer Model D, but Iā€™ve never owned a Moog Model D (though Iā€™ve had an M-32, Minitaur, currently own a SubH). Still, through cultural absorption/hearing the Model D on countless songs, etc. I would say it sounds very much like a Moog.

2 Likes

They donā€™t even try and hide their cloning activities! This looks awesome, one of the best synths ever made.

1 Like

well hardly

At the extreme :

picking one listing out of many to prove your point is fun!

on average, Iā€™d say itā€™s about 5-6k for a Minimoog these days. which is up to almost double what you could get them for a decade ago. and thatā€™s considering they reissued it as well. but itā€™s an heirloom quality synth. a true instrument to be treasured for a lifetime. the B Model D, if it breaks you just throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

itā€™s good they added the auto-tune feature to this MonoPoly. Iā€™ve had to calibrate the original one before and it took a couple hours. itā€™s finicky and time consuming, for sure. that said, when the oscā€™s are calibrated slightly off from one another, it can get into some beautiful BoC type territory. so unless you can manually adjust this calibration, youā€™ll be missing out on that.

2 Likes

In $CAN, itā€™s around 6-8.5K.

Thanks!

prices on Reverb are just stupid.

Plus I think the resissed Model D from Moog was pretty fairly priced - so thatā€™s a better comparison.
Yes - Iā€™m not saying buying the real thing isnā€™t expensiveā€¦But isnā€™t it a matter of priorities ? I mean, in the grand scheme of things, synths arenā€™t that expensive ā€¦ A friend of mine spent Ā£7k on a bloody mountain bike !! People spend Ā£15k+ plus for a fairly ordinary car.

My Korg ARP 2600 is worth considerably more than my car :sweat_smile: Like I say, priorities.

3 Likes

People out there have stupid amounts of money these days. I think for some people itā€™s nothing to pick these units up at those prices.

1 Like

funny you mention itā€¦ in the cycling world itā€™s a pretty well-known joke that your bike should be worth more than your car. :rofl:

3 Likes

ā€œA matter of prioritiesā€. I hope you are being ironic because thats a very smug statement (reminds me of Marie Antoinettes famous quote ā€œIf they dont have bread, let them have cakeā€ :rofl:).

For your information: Not everyone lives in a rich first-world-country and even those who do often live on a tight budget (especially artists).
A 3k+ Model D reissue is unattainable for a lot of people. It is a luxury/collector item.

Itā€™s totally fine that it exists, but the same goes for the Behringer clones.
The same with BMW and Kia cars, casio and rolex watches and so on.

Itā€™s important to remember that ethical consumption is a privilege of the rich.

4 Likes

I think you might need to calm down a bit lad. I wasnā€™t being ironic. Iā€™m well aware that in the rich, first world countries weā€™re very lucky to have decent housing, big flat screen TVs, smartphones & synthesizers. Are we going to call all these out too ? Smug iPhone X owners ? Smug hi-end gaming PC owners?

I have a very modest income ( well below the UK average - because I do something I love, rather than something that earns me lots of money ) & live in a small house, again well below the average house price. I donā€™t have a lot of disposable income. I have a family. Both myself & my wife work hard, full time.

I bought my first proper synthesizer over 30 years ago when I was still a teenager : it took me two years of saving everything I had from my after school job of stacking supermarket shelvesā€¦Eventually I was able to buy a beat up used Juno 60.

if you adjust for inflation, you realise actually how lucky we are right now - relatively speaking these things are cheaper than they were in the 1980s

Ive bought & sold many synths since. The 2600 is easily the most expensive in 3 decades of buying them. But - a question of prioritiesā€¦ I donā€™t spend my money on anything else. Plus I do earn money from my music ā€¦

I wouldnā€™t say the 2600 is a luxury / collectors item : Iā€™d say itā€™s a professional instrument for those who are lucky enough to prioritise what they make their music with.
Have you ever checked the price of a decent violin ? Or saxaphoneā€¦Letā€™s not even start with pianosā€¦

As for ethical consumption- Iā€™d say purchasing a few professional instruments that you keep & use for decades is far more ethical than buying a load of cheap products - one a week is being produced by the Behringer machine it seems - that are going to end up as unrepairable landfill.

Is that smug enough for you, cocker?

4 Likes

Boring.
I want one.
They have one.
I will buy one.

Itā€™s great that you worked your ass off to be able to afford things. Still there are a lot of people working very hard and barely get by, living from paycheck to paycheck. ā€œJust shift your prioritiesā€ only works when there is something to shift.

Anyway back to topic: I am not interested in the MonoPoly clone by Behringer, I hope they will make more original designs

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand your point. Presumably those people wonā€™t be buying Behringer knock off synths either then. If you want to have a wider debate about working poverty thats one thing but you seem have wandered way off beam here.

1 Like

I would certainly rather have fifty of these (or even just two) over one Rolex, haha.

1 Like