Behringer K2

Aha that’s why i had to stretch the image! It’s says 100HP lots of places – all of them wrong.
Thank you!

It’s fun to play around with ideas of what fits.

Do you mean HP and LPF or are there two versions of each HP and LPF?

Here’s what the front panel shows.

Again from Thomann

2 Likes

Indeed. I think I’d go with a smaller FX module, maybe even a spring reverb. I’ve managed to fit the small Doepfer spring tank into my kb37 but with some module combinations there was audible interference - so that may or may not work. The Ladik converter seems obligatory. Although, of course, you could also route the kb37’s Midi Out to the K-2s front panel Midi In. Kind of misses the point, but gains you 4hp :slight_smile:

1 Like

The KB37 costs £600 though. At that point you’re not far from the price of a vintage MS20.

Because it’s not exactly a modwheel, more of a freely assignable wheel-shaped attenuator, and it’s essential for some of the more fun patches on this thing.

3 Likes

Very true Anfim. Good point.
The idea i’m playing with, using the K-2 with the KB37 together, brings a whole lot of other advantages as i note. (Plus apples to apples you’d compare price of a used KB37 which is also currently on sale new too.)

It’s entirely up to preference. The vintage approach makes sense too.

1 Like

True, I bet the KB37 feels a whole lot better than the vintage MS20 one as well. Shame there aren’t many affordable CV keyboard options besides the keystep!

1 Like

Indeed, it’s neither a pitchbend nor modwheel although it sits in that spot - on the Korg it is an integral part of the freely patchable CV (indeed it needs a cable patched in to do anything) - it’d have been nice if Behringer included a pot in lieu of the wheel (or even an expression input) - they have displaced the Korg’s trigger switch which also requires a cable to do anything - so there’s a bit of a precedent)

I guess they’ve placed the onus on midi providing some of the functionality - but it will be resolutely only some - that’s why it is imho still missing (and missed), even on a keyless module - there’s probably room for a slider, but it is what it is

1 Like

Do we have any clue what sort of midi functionality will be available? Is it possible to use a midi keyboard mod wheel to do anything?

I think it’s only Note On/Off and Pitchbend – From Quickstart Guide as noted above.

1 Like

the funny thing is that the original MS20 really hasn’t changed in price in the last decade. you can still get one for around $1200 or so. not saying that’s cheap, but compare that to how much other vintage synths have changed in the last decade (including the ones Behringer are targeting)… I’m sure some of that is related to Korg making a new version though.

it’s also funny to hear people complaining about the Korg reissue being noisy. the original was noisy and gritty as hell; and that’s why it’s great!

3 Likes

Yea, I like the grit & noise of the mini, it’s part of it’s charm :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I assumed the original was gritty & noisy as well.

so so true - it’s why I love it - I think I had an especially thumpy VCA on mine as the second board they installed was better - but the overall authentic unpolished character is what I adore - I’ll be keen to see if folk get the same character from the K2 VCA on keying, but the noise is presumably a given

I also had the missing mod wheel in mind when I thought about the K2.

This could be a fun little project for people missing the wheel. No need to build one with all 16 faders obviously https://16n-faderbank.github.io/

2 Likes

Reverb has it up now. Same price as Thomann. But this says estimated shipping is November, whereas Thomann is 1-2 weeks away.

1 Like

FWIW, in terms of build quality, my Neutron is built like a tank. I’ve heard the Model D is also. The pots on the Neutron are super smooth and it’s got a metal housing. It’s a joy to use and offers more patch points than most other semi-modular units in its class. Plus a 3 year warranty which is phenomenal.

Midas team is doing the initial design and production. All this bodes well for the K2. Most people can’t afford a $1200 original MS-20 that may not make it through the shipping process (kicked across the shipping warehouse). Forget who makes it, and forget the price. If it is built well, sounds good, and the customer service is reliable, it is prob a good product.

1 Like

Surely it makes more sense to compare this to the MS20 mini at $470 (or like $320 used). FWIW I liked the fast action on the mini’s knobs more than the slower, heavier feel of those on the Neutron.

True but I have like 3 sets of keys already. To each their own. Now let’s talk about what really matters: we have to challenge each other to create an awesome patch and see which one rocks the hardest :metal:

I am very keen to hear how the K2 compares to the original MS20. I know I’ve said monosynths without patch mem arent for me, but after messing with the iMS20, I am having slight GAS for the K2.

2 Likes