Behringer Eurorack Modular

End up in a MonoPoly - :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You are getting Uli all wrong. It is Roland that want all your money, and Uli is just here to sell you the same stuff for way less, so that you have more money left for beer. Behringer is really a beer industry conspiracy.

7 Likes

As long as they stay in “clones only” territory, I don’t see them disrupting too much. Maybe they’ll put a dent in Doepfer for utility modules, but as long as there’s innovation there’s still plenty of room for competition

1 Like

Maybe with a banding together of Eurorack manufacturers and collective investment in a foundry and vertically integrated manufacturing facility? Like, they can’t compete in price because they are tiny operations going into the ring against a manufacturing giant and they are buying parts for barely less than any random on the street would pay. Band together and take advantage of economies of scale.

1 Like

serious GAS trigger for sure. System 100 is somehow a dreamsynth for me, don’t know exactly why. Never touched one

2 Likes

System100m is really great, 500 is there almost on sound but not on interface, wish they were not Euro format TBH. Same applies to the Behringer as well.

Purely from a cynical business perspective it would have been more surprising had Behringer not entered the fray, compared to full synths Eurorack modules are much simpler and cheaper to produce, and the profit margins are much higher when done at this scale.

Doepfer has always been affordable and great quality IMHO I think he will be ok, might see some casualties in the smaller analog module makers though, digital stuff is unlikely to be impacted because obviously it is much harder to clone. Overall though I don’t think Eurorack will suffer that much from it in the long term.

3 Likes

This is just perfect for occasional knob twisters like myself and probably a lot of others, … I was thinking going AE Modular because of the price point of eurorack for a pure hobbyist with a family and not so much free time to spend. Tried VCV rack, liked it and interfaced it with my semi modulars but the big screen breaks the flow for me.

Still going to get the best modules - if I NEED them - from Make Noise (those I need anyway … :slight_smile: ), ALM, Noise Engineering, Qu-bit, Mannequins, Erica synths and many others but getting the basics down with Doepfer, Behringer, 2HP and a Dreadbox module will just make my initial starting phase much more relaxed, building slowly without a 4000EU budget.

This is going to be a gateway for thousands and rather than harm small manufacturers will be a boost for their sales, I think…

10 Likes

Let’s see if he can design something on his own :wink:

2 Likes

Designing your own end-to-end supply chain is no small feat

1 Like

So one should be able to build a pretty capable system with fx for under $500? Bananas.

6 Likes

Other people are doing it.
And I’m talking about the architecture of the units…HELL the look as well :confused:

1 Like

They are talking about the vertical integration of the business, not a synth.

fisher price my first modular

6 Likes

I think the Teenage Engineering one fits that bill a little better :rofl:

(not hating on them, just saying look/feel/cost/size-wise)

1 Like

Behringer Escape Plan, am I rite

3 Likes

My dude, Behringer is going to clone each and every one. Google “top selling eurorack modules” to see what’s next.

5 Likes

Speaking of gateways, almost literally… I’m curious to see if they develop some smaller, powered cases. When I first investigated modular, I found this initial, “cost of doing business” expense quite imposing: “I can spend two hundred and fifty dollars so I can have the privilege of spending another two hundred and fifty dollars? For a single oscillator?”

I know they have a 104 HP case, but something like 60 HP.

2 Likes

My dude, Behringer is going to clone each and every one. Google “top selling eurorack modules” to see what’s next.

If they go by the Top 100 on Modulargrid, they’ll likely be stumped by #6, ER-301 Sound Computer

3 Likes

During their Google search, they will have seen my comment and your response in this very forum. “Perhaps we shall skip this ‘ER-301 Sound Computer…’”

3 Likes