Behringer Eurorack Modular

Definitely shared algorithms with their mixers, couldn’t speak to how they may have more or less DSP power on a “premium MIDAS” implementation over the Oddy, if there’s even a distinction beyond mono/stereo.

It’s such a shame they crippled the FX on the Oddy to mono only as I bet the reverbs and delays don’t sound too bad in stereo. They’re fine in the Oddy but stereo would deffo bring them to life a bit more

You’re probably right about stereo effects sounding better, but overall I’d say the effects in my mixer sounds pretty meh.

Anybody else try out the 2600 VCO module? I picked it up during this recent sale, and I wonder if I’m missing something… It feels very lacking in features or control. Then again, I only paid 80 bucks for it, so I guess I shouldn’t expect too much?
For example it would be nice if the four signal outputs had a unified out?

I don’t think there are any more or less features than a standard 2600 oscillator. The man to ask might be @rob_lee I’m sure he’s rocking a few of them

I’m sure you already know what two 914’s can do, chm_jacques, but for everyone who doesn’t, check out this video – with headphones.

Video queued past talky set-up.

I also just posted this over in the Behringer 15, 35, 55 thread.

BTW, with the recent price drop, it’s probably a bit more than $300 less.

4 Likes

Not had my toes wet in this Beurorack game for very long, already finding issues

Made myself a temp skiff and a DIY PSU using two spare 12v 500mA wall-warts from old telecoms kit - should be good for the incoming goodies until i rack them in a nicer DIY case

Anyway - I have 8 LFOs at my disposal, but the kicker is that the phase of the LED illumination diverges massively from the voltage output - the phase is whack in 5 of 6 shapes, only Sin is consistent. I was trying to clock Crave / Edge from the square and it just looked all kinds of wrong - had to dig a bit to see what was occurin’ and jotted this down for a support ticket, we’ll see if anything happens … yhbw

Edit : Overlooked some basic things here, corrected my assumptions below, it’s possibly the way it has to be !! … Basically all waves are available concurrently, you don’t select one or the other, so phase of the LED is not driven per shape

4 Likes

Did you make that image? Its quite tasteful and charming

He made the skiff too. Definitely charming as well !

1 Like

Certainly, but it has less pretty colors and smiley faces so it doesn’t attract the eye as much

1 Like

Those knobs though are winners, if they don’t get in the way.

Befaco knurlies are nice too.

1 Like

The diagram is awful, I just needed to communicate the issue in a way that would land … the smiley face along with other lacklustre possibilities are courtesy of a rather underwhelming Google web app.

The modulation magic really opened up the Pro 1, these will be great to integrate, but the LEDs need a fix

There’s something very appealing to using the Behringer modules in stand alone single feature kind of arrangements. The modules in general are pretty basic and certainly inexpensive, so combinations make sense.

The Perfect Pitch audio to MIDI module as for instance seems ready for something in a combination.

Here’s another one that Daniel Fisher ( of Sweetwater ) put together. A double fixed filter bank.

Sounds good to me too. I posted about it above.

Why you gotta denigrate a thing I liked like that? :cry:

Only a temp thing. I just wanted plastic washers. Too big for euro, perfect on DIY 19" rack mounts

1 Like

Ditto !

1 Like

Being encouraged to look at it critically I am not only concerned it’s tacky looking, but I am no longer swayed by my own assertions on where phase should be highlighted. It’s not as simple as it was in my mind. I had to draw it up quickly as I’d submitted a ticket on the square behaviour alone. That is all kinds of wrong, but I think there could be grounds for those suggestions to be shot down, which sadly may scupper the whole submission. I have had little luck with 100% bugs/issues reported to Behringer before.

The device is well made, but it’s clear in a few areas that the finesse is compromised. It’s making me nervous about the other couple I am waiting on, but those are hopefully less firmware reliant.

2 Likes

Okay - i may have figured out my erring here … ( i posted this addendum to my MusicTribe ‘issue’ report) - it could be a necessary compromise i simply overlooked, still tricky to navigate imho, but not a bug in all likelihood … as you were …

WRT diagram above

I’d like to qualify my thoughts here, i was initially only focussed on the issue created by following the LED pulse on the square wave which is inverted from all other gear i have. It’s like having a clock pulse illuminate on the ‘and’ of 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 etc … it’s so counterintuitive. Anyway, there are two aspects to this, there is the voltage profile of the shapes and the communication of frequency/phase via the LED … there is a possibility that phase start may be a more important ‘marker’ than voltage high state, so upon reflection the right/wrong assertions above may be lacking nuance … take the TRI shape, is it really best to visualise the peak voltage, might it perhaps be more musical to think of the trough as being the start of a simple repeating envelope … so i’m not trying to be black/white about wrong/right here … but to raise the concerns that the current phase position of the respective waves isn’t communicating what i think was intended or helpful. The square wave illumination feels plain wrong imho as it is in contrast to all other similar devices

The third aspect is the actual reset position of the respective shapes, their notional phase zero point and their shapes and polarity may not match the way the diagrams represent the forms above … the real question in my support ticket is probably “are you sure this is intended, it sure feels strange and could it be better?”

Perhaps there are reasons relating to combining shapes from 1 single lfo channel that explain the phase positions chosen … when i am using a sin and a sqr from one channel perhaps they are out of phase because the voltage profiles are too - therefore, the LED fader can’t know which output you are tapping

I may even have convinced myself there is way more to this than meets the eye now, on the basis that there are more than one simultaneous shapes occurring … i guess i should have plotted the true phase for each shape following a reset, presumably all the respective red locations above line up

This implies that it was a judgement call on the device inspiring this to adopt a square voltage profile which is out of phase with the Sin, to offer a different reset behaviour, a bit of variety

I am keen to hear back on the ticket and i’ll advise on any erring on my part here for the record, although i can see i jumped the gun a bit in terms of proclaiming any issues as fact, it was clearly fundamentally wrong to think of those shapes in isolation as though you were selecting a shape profile per LFO lane, they are in fact all happening simultaneously, so phase and voltage high can’t actually line up in a nice simple manner

doh !

Edit for completeness

The reset phase position for each wave shape

I’ll edit to add that the led shines on a phase pattern irrespective of the profile shape.

3 Likes

Demo of the new Victor module.

( Idea from the Pro VS Mini, in turn from the Prophet VS )

I queued this past the spec blah, blah, blah. More interested in the sounds, and how you can use it in Eurorack. Notice the patch changes in the surrounding modules, which are all Behringer products, which is fair, and finally possible.

Compare this conceptually with the same sort of systems, but with Brains module instead. And the Victor module is the next price notch down relatively. $100 USD.

ADDED : When not using the sound output from Victor it can double as a simple two parameter CV control joystick. Useful.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Definitely need to include the new Kobol Expander semi-modular into the options here in this thread. A good Eurorack way to invest 70 HP, and $200 USD. ( It is in this thread along with other Kobol product )

1 Like

They have three out already in Eurorack.

The 960, the 182, and the 1027 / 1050. Take your pick.

ADDED :
Actually what i’d love to see with both MIDI and CV, is their redo on the ARP 1601.

It’s GIP.