Behringer Eurorack Modular

Hmmm the Model 100 modules or rather Behringer s 2600?
Decisions decisions

1 Like

(not knowing the price on the B -2600) or perhaps some combination of the two !

You can get very good value second hand, check modular grid.
I paid 100€ for my Mutable Instruments Veils Quad VCA, 90€ for MI Peaks( an amazing LFO), 50€ for MI links and 60€ for MI Kinks; some modules from dreadbox, Ladik and others are well under 100$/€.

A Korg SQ1 can be bought for 60-70€ and is way better than the system 100 sequencer.Also works as Midi to CV converter. I had mine in my rack, 3€ DIY project

I was very excited about behringer modules; now I am not excited at all…

3 Likes

With doepfer, ladik, dreadbox… and some good second hand deals or small DIY soldering projects (if I ever have time for that) there is not really a big price gap with the B modules.

2 Likes

they are definitely in the normal price range and especially with the system 55, which tends to be really basic in functionality I can‘t see a real competition or aggressive marketing moves, every basic doepfer module has more functions, thru hole components and made in a company of four people, dieter doepfer included and they are cheaper as well

I’ve created a new thread – Inexpensive Eurorack Hardware Options as the place to discuss all the different hardware alternatives for inexpensive Eurorack.

EDIT: I changed the name of the thread, so updated it here too.

4 Likes

New videos from Behringer about three of their new system 55 / 35 / 15 modules:

994 Multiples Eurorack Module

911A Dual Trigger Delay

961 Interface Conversion

They’re doing a nice job with these videos, very quickly describing the basics of each module, without going into a lot of promotion.

The multiples is a passive one, I use these Y cables as 1-2 passive multis and these volca sync splitters as 1-4 passive multies

the custom firmware is now open source and adds a lot of tweaks and especially a two voice 5 note polyphonic digital engine from the LFO output.

here’s the manual! wow

Installation supported only from Windows OS using STM DfuSe Utility. You can download it from the official ST semi webpage.
Installation is completely safe. It is made through internal STM USB bootloader, that can not be erased or corrupted with wrong steps. However don’t wait for any support, if you made something wrong.
There are 2 types of incompatible bootloader drivers - Zadig, that is used by Behringer and ST, that is used by DfuSe.
To switch to ST drivers, connect Neutron in bootloader mode, go to Devices panel, find STM32 BOOTLOADER and delete it with files, then reconnect Neutron and Windows installs ST drivers automatically. Or you can manually install ST driver from DfuSe folder.
Run Dfuse, check, that STM Device in DFU Mode present in Available DFU Devices
If you want to save current firmware before experimenting, press “Choose” button in “Upload Action” block and select new file name and location, then press Upload to fill that file with dump. Now you got firmware dump, that you can upload back anytime.
In “Upgrade or Verify” block select firmware that you want to load by pressing “Choose”. Press “Upgrade”. Reboot Neutron after completion.
If you install this firmware with DfuSe, than you need to retune. DfuSe erases all memory with the previous calibration.

RETURNING TO ORIGINAL STATE:
You can return by using dump file and DfuSe or by using Behringer updater utility.
To switch to Zadig just use firmware update manual from Behringer.
After returning to original Behringer firmware through Updater utility you need to recalibrate pots:
on 1.x firmwares power on holding ìOSC SYNCî + ìPARAPHONICî + ìKEY TRKî
on 2.x firmwares it starts automatically
Calibration mode indicates by LFO LEDs pulsating pattern.
Disconnect all patches from the panel and Turn:
OSC1 SHAPE pot fully to LEFT
OSC2 SHAPE pot fully to RIGHT
LFO SHAPE pot fully to RIGHT
LFO RATE pot fully to RIGHT
PORTA TIME pot fully to RIGHT
When this is done press VCF ìMODEî + LFO ìKEY SYNCî simultaneously.
Neutron will restart. And you will get the same Neutron as it was before.

OPERATION:
When you press any button, all available key combinations are flashed.
for PANIC use PARAPHONIC + FLT_KEYTRACK
LFO_RATE and LFO_SHAPE knobs are multi-functional, but lfo rate and shape keep unchanged while tweaking sub-parameters. Sometimes it needed to turn it back to value to switch back to normal mode. It is done to prevent parameters jump.

If you want to tune your Neutron properly, please remember that it is better to do it at least 30 min after power on. All environment changes may affect tuning. There are automatic tuning procedures for individual oscs, however if you want some experimenting, or enjoy old school techniques, or think that you capable of measuring frequencies better than 64bit floating point code, there are manual tuning available.
This firmware does not mute output in any circumstances, so you can hear autotuning process.
Keep in ming, that there are 2 dacs for each oscillator, so 4 dacs for 2 oscs total.

• One dac is for octave switching and absolute pitch offset.
  • Second is for midi notes, glide and pitchbend.
    There are also two trim pots on the back of the PCB in the oscillator section, that controls V/Oct scale of cv inputs. They must be tuned to 1.000V/oct, by connecting a calibrated voltage source to OSC cv inputs. Neutron has individual and combined inputs. they slightly differ, so it is better to tune it from an input, which you prefer to use in future. Warm room and preheat recommended.

1 OSCILLATORS

Tune one osc - press FLT_KEYTRAK while holding osc’s RANGE.
Tune both - press FLT_KEYTRAK while holding both RANGE buttons.
Wide range knob mode can be switched by pressing opposite osc’s RANGE while holding RANGE.
Octaves can be switched independently of knob range.
CV and knob modulation can be switched off by pressing RANGE while holding PARAPHONIC. It switches automatically with paraphonic mode.
You can adjust portamento for each osc separately. Just hold RANGE button while turning PORTAMENTO pot to a preferred value. Turning it without RANGE sets the same porta for both oscs.

Osc edit mode:
Press PARAPHONIC while holding RANGE to enter that mode.
press PARAPHONIC to exit.
Press FLT_KEYTRACK to run auto-tuning and exit from edit mode.
There are 4 “pages” in this mode, that can be cycled continuously with OSC_SYNC:

• 1st page is pitch wheel range - edit mode always starts from this page
    you can set semitones from 0 to 12 with LFO_SHAPE knob, osc range leds indicate this number in binary by two bits from bottom to top. Synth remains playable, can be set by ear.
  • 2nd page - octave switch dac scale adjust. This is same as turning v/oct trim on other synths while playing octaves on keyboard, but this time octaves are switched with LFO_SHAPE and conversion coefficient adjusted by pressing OSC1_RANGE (decrease) or OSC2_RANGE (increase).
  • 3rd page - notes dac - same as previous, but for midi-cv pitch dac.
  • 4th page - absolute tune offset. This step must be done only after you happy with both scales, you must tune A440 pitch. Switch the nearest octave with LFO_SHAPE, and tune with OSC_RANGE keys.
    After 4th page, it switches back to 1st.
    You can run automatic tuning or exit from any page.
    Exit with PARAPHONIC and don’t forget to save parameters to flash.

2 FILTER

Normally tuning not needed, but now you can quench your thirst for perfectionism.
Filter edit mode = PARAPHONIC holding FILTER_MODE - use it to fine-tune key track scale.
Same as oscillators, but this time only one page - scale trim.
Set resonance to the max and disable oscillators by patching unconnected wire to filter input. Set better range with a Cutoff knob.

3 OSC SYNC MENU

hold OSC_SYNC and press…

• LFO_SYNC to switch envelope restart mode.
  • OSC_RANGE to switch Assign output modes: osc1, osc2, velocity, mod wheel, aftertouch. Lfo leds will indicate mode.
  • FLT_KEYTRACK to enter Assign edit mode - 2 pages - scale and offset.
    This output only 0 to 5V. If oscillator’s pitch is higher, octaves will be subtracted until it enters the range.

4 LFO

hold LFO_SYNC and press…

• OSC_RANGE to switch lfo modes.
  • OSC_SYNC to switch to MIDI sync mode.
  • FILTER_MODE to select sync edge of ext input /, , or both /. Falling edge adds 180 degrees to retrig phase.

hold LFO_SYNC and turn…

• LFO_RATE to manually shift lfo phase from 0 to 360 degrees (To prevent jumps, You must first turn it to previously adjusted value)
  • LFO_SHAPE to set retrig phase. (This one jumps as soon as you touch knob, but switching it back to shape needs to previously adjusted value)

Although phase can be shifted with LFO_RATE, that is also controlled by appropriate cv input, don’t expect to get good phasemod synthesis, since phase setting sampling frequency is limited.

LFO MODES:
1 - classic Neutron lfo
2 - Assign2 SHAPE - switch osc1/breathCC/velo/modwh/afttch. Attenuate with RATE
3 - Monophonic oscillator, same pitch as OSC2. Use KEY_SYNC to switch LFO_RATE range mode.
4 - Polyphonic 5 voice.
5 - Attenuverter that multiplies Rate by Shape. KEY_SYNC switches saturation or overflow mode.
Poly mode:
There are 5 voices, 2 oscillators + amplitude A-R envelope each.
You can adjust 4 Parameters in total with LFO knobs and button.
When LFO_SYNC is lit, SHAPE stands for PWM-Detune, and RATE for A and R
When unlit, SHAPE - osc2 amplitude and RATE - only R.

5 PARAPHONY
There are Additional paraphony “Pad mode” - gate starts only on the second note, but oscillators keep the last interval after keys releasing. Good for pads with the long release.
By entering any paraphonic mode, oscillator modulations switched off and switched back on by exiting. Both can be manually switched to any desired state from any mode.

6 SAVE STATE
All synth parameters - calibration, octaves, sync… are saved at once. To do this press OSC_SYNC while holding PARAPHONIC. Neutron will blink all leds. On next power on you will get the same state.
In case something goes wrong there are reset procedure - PARAPHONIC + OSC_SYNC + KEYTRACK = all parameters to default.

I hope you have fun with this firmware, please tell me if you found some bugs or want some features. You can find me on GS or MW forums under “mrf” nick.

! Big thanks to Gearslutz user AndyHornBlower for beta testing and advice. You really helped push development to the current state!
And thanks Uli for bringing synths to masses.

SPECS and facts:
Sampling frequencies:
ADC Sampling - 48000 Hz
OSC SHAPE - 6000 Hz mixing / 48000 Hz switching
LFO Output - 48000 Hz
Portamento - 3000 Hz
For now, sources are closed
Midi synchronization is phase-locked.
All alias suppressing was done with parabolic transient smoothing.
All synth related code is written from scratch in SW4STM32 (Eclipse)
All maths developed in Gnumeric
LFO classic and mono code is ~3500 lines after preprocessor :stuck_out_tongue:
CPU utilization peaks at 947 cycles from 1000 available (lfo synth with ext sync)
Basic debugging was made in Reaktor, hardcore debugging made on Axoloti (i highly recommend).
1.5f is the final version of lfo synthesis. Next versions will add USB or other lfo modes, but now i move to other projects, so don’t wait.

3 Likes

Almost all announced modules are now in stock at Thomann. :grinning:

https://m.thomann.de/se/search.html?q=behringer%20eurorack

1 Like

And the Eurorack Go case is back in stock.

I’m seriously tempted to build a B System 100.

2 Likes

What do you think that will run you (in cost) ?

2 Likes

Not sure? I’ve not sat down and worked it out. I’ll need a case then start with the bare bones VCO/VCF/VCA/EG/LFO… im guessing that’s gonna be getting off for £500? But that’s a fag packet calculation. I see the modules are around the £80 mark on average. Prob got with a B case for starters. I know it’s famous last words but I’m not planning on going full on modular, I’d just like to build a standardish 100, akin to one of the Roland originals in terms of module count. Still tyre kicking until I see a few vids of those modules and gauge reaction.

Nothing against the Moog style ones they’re doing, I’ve just always fancied a 100.

1 Like

Plus wrap it up in one order, and you should be able to ask for some sort of discount.

The Behringer modules look to be pretty careful crafted to act authentically.

1 Like

I’m hoping so. They deffo look the part! And if build and sound quality is on a par with the MS1 and Bodyssey (octave switch apart🙈) I’ll be happy.

I did see an announcement that CoolAudio are re-fabbing the BA662 so if they use those it would indicate they’re going for authenticity? I’m assuming the OG System 100 used them all over the place as other Roland synths of the era did. I stand to be corrected if I’m wrong tho, I’ve not studied the OG schematics.

Re the BA662… I’ve got two JP4’s, an early rev and a later one. Sadly the early rev had already had its voice boards swapped out for later ones when I got it. (the early rev boards used 662’s in the VCF while the later ones replaced 4 of them with the 3109. Lots of folks swear the 662 filter sounds better than the 3109. It’s interesting to note the the service manual lists changing the earlier voice boards out as an upgrade that Roland recommended at the time of printing so I guess a lot of JP4’s would have been ‘upgraded’ this way over the years. Even with the 3109’s the synth isn’t the easiest to adjust and calibrate between voices and I seem to remember reference to them swapping to the 3109 to improve the situation.

1 Like

Just had a look on Thomann. For one of each of the modules they’re listing it comes to £527 which wasn’t a bad guess! That gets you the following modules

112 - dual vco
121 - dual vcf
130 - dual vca
140 - dual envelope
150 - LFO/sample & hold/noise
173 - quad gates.

Obv need to factor a case into that plus patch leads etc. All in with their Eurorack Go case it comes to £760. It’ll be interesting to see if in time Thomann start selling systems akin to the standard off the shelf offerings from the likes of Doepfer etc.

1 Like

Or Behringer could do the bundling themselves. Lots of Eurorack makers sell individual modules and bundled systems.

That’s a helluva lot of bang for the buck ! £527.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Im looking forward to their clone of the Moog sequencer. Not sure when it finally releases in the States. Long wait times for us, plus everything sells out pretty quickly.