Behringer EDGE : semi-modular percussion synth

Longtime (mostly) lurker here logging in to say we really appreciate your serious effort contributions @Jukka

As anyone might expect, one doesn’t come here to specific gear threads to read spam on how behringer is the devil ruining the world.

I don’t have that much space left on my studio so I usually prefer to pay more and have quality gear on my table instead of wasting time and space with cheap gear.
I don’t own any Behringer or Moog equipment at the moment - mostly because I like to keep my studio as minimal as I can and Elektron really fills most of my needs.

That being said, I’m super curious about semi modular and knob per step - I’m following this topic expecting to know more about functionality and sound quality on this specific device.

4 Likes

I’ve created a thread to discuss the quality of Behringer synths. Their will be interesting discussion there.

Talking about Behringer synth quality is off topic here.

There is also a Clone War thread if that’s your topic.

UPDATED

I mean damn y’all, I was trying to say that I was OK with Edge. Like I can see the value of a cheap DFAM, with midi. The sensitivity is real

2 Likes

make no mistake, I literally don’t give a shit. It’s all gravy

1 Like

It’s a rather regretably loaded/specific title which will create the kind of talk we want to avoid in favour of constructive contribution positive/negative

Something along these lines (below) would be more ‘open’ and preferable @Jukka ! - though it will likely end up in the same place

Behringer gear quality : is it commensurate with cost ?

or something along those neutral/general lines

1 Like

Totally agree.

Factory and working conditions, environmental concerns etc are all valid … intellectual property concerns regarding Big Synth are kinda hilarious.

Please, let’s keep these fairly well covered aspects within their respective existing threads ! moving fwd people let’s aim for Behringer Edge centric posts FTW :thup:

2 Likes

And now I’m hungry again. Thanks.

2 Likes

I want to check out this Edge. It’s the same price as the latest Volcas and I’ll be damned if it isn’t way more interesting to me. I would love Behringer to come up with something a bit more unique, say their own take on a Volca Drum-style digital percussion synth, but from a business perspective something like this is likely far more practical. Run the Edge through the AH and I bet it will come out beastly. I’ll get one when they’re second hand like I do with all my gear, then I can’t even be accused of feeding the machine. :smiley:

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

more perc synths pls

3 Likes

pls no

1 Like

Not sure I agree, but depends on what you mean by seriously, I have tried some different TR808 clones and the RD8 is a winner, so is the Model D and the PRO-1.

Back to topic, I really wish that Behringer would include start/stop/reset and some digital LFO’s to the Edge.

2 Likes

Something similar to korg’s (or Roland’s) active step would be great

there are not enough interface elements to accomodate that functionality in an ergonomic way… (EG 8 buttons)

1 Like

Velocity = 0 could mean step deactivated. Far from ideal but still possible, depending on current implementation. But it won’t happen anyway and you’re right, buttons would be much more ergonomic. I think it’s a missed opportunity.

Behringer is doing themselves a big disservice by announcing these products months before they are available. I preordered a TD-3-mo, waited 4 months, canceled and bought something else from another company. They are still not out.

2 Likes

Honestly, when the price of Electron Models dropped I stopped considering most Behringer.

I’m curious and have not looked into this, but can the Analog Rytm cover most of the ground that the Edge (or DFAM) does? How about the Analog 4? These “drum synths” are pretty cool sounding.

it’s not only how it sounds, but also how you interact with that sound: the interface matters.

while you can get similar sounding results with many machines, the interface dictates what can be easily changed (and therefore wil change often) and what is more difficult to change (and will be changed much less as a result).

The biggest difference between edge/dfam and electron boxes is that you’ve only got two sequencer parameter lanes, in stead of a set of triggers, with multiple parameter(locking)lanes on top of those.

The two analog sequencer lanes allow direct change of each parameter value on each step and easy allocation of a parameter lane to a different parameter to be modulated.

This differs from a digital sequencer in which you typically edit the value of one specific parameter for one specific step at a time, and it is rather easy to create extra prameter lanes with things as motion-recording etc…

This makes for a totally different way of playing a machine and hence for different results.

I’ve had a dfam, liked it a lot, but sold it because it was IMHO a lot of money for a so specific, limited but great sounding set of functions. I liked the way of playing with the 2 8-step lanes though. So i might consider the Edge at a third of the price. Great decision to put normal sized knobs on the sequencer, imo the mini pots cripled the dfam’s potential somewhat.

2 Likes