Behringer Model D Synth

I always let it warm. Sometimes though it just gets out of tune somehow…

still not sure I need a boog after having spent some time with my SE-02… The lack of patch memory is a biggie

1 Like

It’s not as hard as you think. And it’s not an excuse to do nothing.

I thought that at first, too, but it also changed how I look at the D. The lack of patch memory forces me to see the D more as an instrument like a guitar than a magic sound computer. It also has forced me to learn to use it in a way I would not have if it had patch memory.

I wouldn’t want this for all of my gear, but I really have ended up benefitting from the limitations.

I can relate to that. Something very reward about it for sure.

But for me personally, without patch mem I am SOL unless I nail what I’m doing in that same session. And with time being my biggest enemy these days, that happens very rarely if ever for me…

1 Like

I thought the ‘no patch memory’ was more of an issue than it really is (for me anyway) until I started using outboard analog gear for processing. Then it became pretty straight forward… if it’s important, take a picture of it. Pretty much everyone has a smartphone within 2’ of reach these days.

The D is a pretty simple synth and it’s not like there’s dozens of sub menus you’ll forget to document. It’s not that fiddly either. You’ll quickly get 95% back and maybe (if anything) a few minor tweaks to get the exact sound back. Besides, you probably don’t want the identical sound anyway, else you wouldn’t be recalling it to change. :laughing:

If in doubt, take a quick pic of it and move on. There’s even this great FREE VST plugin to document your settings within the DAW as an insert on that audio channel.

https://non-lethal-applications.com/products/snapshot

3 Likes

couldnt agree more, I relate the model D more to something like my bass guitar or an upright bass. What you see is what you get and if you want a certain sound you need to know how to get it like changing strings, putting foam under it, using pick vs finger…etc.

3 Likes

You two cats are making me regret selling my Boog! :frowning:
Hehe.

2 Likes

I dont use smartphones nor DAWs at home

I agree, with outboard, the controls are usually stepped and easily reproducable, but on synths I struggle with recall heavily. Just my preference, YMMV

Having perfect recall is one of the key features of elektron boxes for me. It means I can tweak my patches and patterns during every sound check and monitoring environment, little by little towards a point where everything eventually starts to “sound like a record”. That stuff pays off big time, and ensures a consistent sound between shows.

1 Like

Totally get that sentiment.

Yep, definitely a ‘YMMV’. I’m all about the DAW and will never play a show live (zero interest for me). I just make bleeps and bloops largely for myself and for fun. Whatever works!

1 Like

I just saw this on FB/ Instagram

5 Likes

Nice! You can almost fool yourself that you got the real deal when you got that one :grinning:

Nobody can stop his route.

3 Likes

Mhmmm what could that be?

Mentioned morph a few times… Maybe a Model D keyboard? Or maybe they’re gonna start putting a small brown Plasticine model in the packaging for each Model D?

Fantastic trailers and videos too! It’s nice to see they’re self aware and not totally up their own arse.

2 Likes

The development of the warp drive was recognized by the United Federation of Planets as the marker of an advanced society. It was only after a people developed warp drive that the Federation made contact

Uli responded to me 5 minutes ago.

5 Likes

Dr. Zefram Cochrane Was the inventor of the warp drive :wink::joy:

4 Likes

but did he patent it?

4 Likes

So perhaps a four voice Model D?

3 Likes