Behringer 2600

can’t tell you how many synths I’ve bought based on YT videos. even going back a decade when it was much crappier. I’ve yet to get one and go “wow, it was way better on YT!”

not to mention, both Behringer and Moog and their army of influencers use it to market these things. and for good reason. not everyone has a shop nearby carrying them.

Perhaps deniable by a non-owner, but like avantronica said we had probably better get back on track lol. Anyway, I guess this was sort or semi-on topic since we were talking about the sound of the 2600 and YT audio etc.

My point wasn’t that synths sounds better on YT, but the opposite. I’m not saying the YT videos aren’t useful, they are, I’m saying that they shouldn’t be taken as the final word on the sound of a synth.

Just to be clear: I played with it in the shop.

Ok seriously last post.

1 Like

right. but my point is that if I’ve never gotten one and thought that YT had fooled me, then clearly they gotta be pretty representative of the real deal, no?

regardless, I’m sure many will buy the BARP 2600 based on YT videos (and IG posts, FB videos, etc). some will think it sucks based on the same. same as many other pieces of gear. world we live in these days (for better or worse).

2 Likes

Pareidolia

1 Like

I think you are misunderstanding me , I listen to every bit of equipment and give my personal opinion on it individually. I am not slating behringer full stop.I don’t like a lot of what behringer do. However things like their audio interfaces for live I quite like. This is all pretty subjective stuff. I just simply decide from what I’ve heard that the think the behringer 2600 from what Ive heard , sounds good.

1 Like

I have , its the first one to properly grab my attention. It’s getting close to the clone I built, (from what I heard). None of the previous behringer synths have grabbed me. Not necessarily to do with them sounding better or worse. It is also to do with build quality , (which vintage synths don’t have) and some of it is ethics. Which is probably a conversation for elsewhere. I think that they are also providing great value instruments for very good money. So , I am weighing it all up. :slight_smile:

1 Like
8 Likes

Sounds pretty good to my untrained ear. Nice form factor, and pretty good example of all the great sounds you can get through experimentation. Consider me GASed.

1 Like

Really like the form factor, glad they didn’t bother with the keyboard

4 Likes

:heart_eyes::crazy_face:

Wow! I’m about to buy a Summit in a few weeks. Told my wife I won’t need anything for a long time…Damn Uli keeps making me lie to my wife :slight_smile:

1 Like

The sound is awesome and I love the design and format! Some really smart additions too, especially the envelope time factor and dedicated LFO. Really wish Korg has gone this route with theirs! Won’t be able to resist this purchase…

3 Likes

I have been long sceptical about Behringer due to their past, so I took the careful approach with their cheapest offering, namely the Crave… and man oh man…this little orange thing is a monster!
And a loud one at that! The Crave serious packs a punch. Sounds fantastic and is so loud, I never able to push the master volume beyond 25% before I reach clipping levels lol.

The build quality of the Crave is also really good. Especially when you compare it to similar priced devices like the Korg Volca range, with their plastic bodies and tiny fiddly knobs.

I am seriously considering putting the Deepmind 12D on my wishlist now, but I just want the Moog Grandmother first I think and then I am tossed between Hydrasynth or Novation Peak for Polyphony. Hmmmm choices choices…

1 Like

I wish someone did more “poweruser” demos on the 2600. This stuff sounds pretty vanilla so far, and doesnt really give an idea about whats special about the 2600. I could do most of these sounds with a behri D ffs. Lets hear those R2D2 bloops, atonal horror sounds et al pls!

3 Likes

Exactly. The sample/hold demo didn’t get there either.

Good stuff, very fat sound. Poly D + 2600 should make a nice combo with lots of possibilities for about 1500€ if 2600 is priced similarly as Poly D.

1 Like

IMO the hype about legendary synths may have some reasons like:

• they delivered new sounds
  • they were rare in those days and you could become famous just because you had the opportunity to work with one and those who did got an entry in history books as well
  • they were expensive and as a consequence available almost only for musicians, who were successful already and created great music anyway

Now who hasn’t had the dream of getting the weapons of our heroes to become a heroe as well?

Even if this might be too rational and disputed … IMO the ARP 2600

• was special in its time, particularly compared to the synths of that age
  • it’s until today the tool of our heroes, which we admire
  • does sound excellent
  • but compared to many modern synths it doesn’t stand out anymore as it did in the old days

But back to a concrete answer or better an opinion … having an ARP Odyssey …

Special for me is:

• excellent raw sound
  • the sample & hold circuit and the various audio-range modulation capabilites
  • the mix of all available modules - and particular the way the audio and modulation lines are normalized, which is great and supports for quick changes on a synth without patch memories … we can flip one thing and the whole beast generates a very different sound …
  • IMO faders are sometimes better to get an overview of the patch rather than knobs
  • last not least the semimodular concept

The great opportunity today is that we can get from Behringer a “Modular”, “System 100”, and “2600” at afordable cost. After NAMM I started to search for space in the studio and imagined to put all three in a row … :yum::drooling_face::star_struck:

4 Likes

To me the 2600 is the sound of R2D2, not an Arp Ody deluxe edition like these demos suggest. I never wanted one because guys like Herbie Hancock used it on stage.

I was always fascinated by those droid bleeps n bloops and when I played a DX100 for the first time in the 90’s, I thought “yeah, its definitely got something to do with FM, but I dunno how to recreate that ish on this one” :diddly: Only later I found out it was the 2600 and have been lusting for one since.

1 Like