Beatmaker 3 + Digitakt = Bliss

For me it does. I’ve tried drinking the iOS kool-aid for years now, and I am just about giving up on the idea of ever using iOS for “serious” music making… obvs YMMV

1 Like

Same here, I find a few apps I like but there’s always something missing with it. And then after a few years the app development slows down and fails to keep pace with the iOS evolution. I hope BM3 and others, such as gadget, cubasis keep up their current good work but, having owned the Digitakt for about 1 month now, as long as I look after it, it will treat me well and give me a great deal of enjoyment. Maybe after a few years I’ll replace/upgrade it and I’m pretty sure there’ll be a healthy resale market for a good 2nd hand unit.

Heart for icing on the shitcake.:heart_decoration:

2 Likes

i have made more tunes on the digitakt in then last few months then the last 6 months on the ipad.
iOS is really good as sample food for the Digitakt though.

also the chopshop on BM3 makes chopping samples so much easier for the SP404

2 Likes

Tried Samplr yet? I bet that would be pretty fun with DT. Maybe bounce a sample back and forth between the two mangling it more each time?

Sorry, I’m off topic-ing all over your thread.

no worries man, yeah samplr is the app i bought my ipad for :smiley:

1 Like

Interested to know your workflow re. Chopping samples in BM3 and the Digi. Thanks.

In honesty I think the best apps are ones very obviously designed for the touchscreen interface such as Samplr and Patterning. I like BM2 & now 3 as mini DAWs but I find both Samplr and Patterning to be far more inspirational and “right” on the iPad.

Really looking forward to what the future of well designed and paradigm breaking apps on iPad bring to the table

4 Likes

I have to agree on that…
Borderlands Granular, although different and a bit abandoned, is also very well designed for the touchscreen.
as @Buska said, iPad as sample food and as a sketchpad for new ideas - and you can’t beat it’s portability and ease of use when on a trip - plane, etc… although it doesn’t happen that often for me, unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue:
although I don’t have a Digitakt, I’m planning on getting one eventually… right now I’m using the iPad as a multi-timbral synth, sequencing it with the iPad (using Troublemaker+Mood+Magellan, although I’m looking for a replacement for that last one, I’m not quite getting the sounds I want out of it)

Have you got Animoog? I love animoog and creating new patches is really cool. The presets are good but it’s really good for creating your own

1 Like

tbh I never liked it much, at least f from what I’ve heard online… but maybe I should try it myself when I get the chance.

1 Like

I’ve just grabbed myself an AKAI MPD226 to partner with Beatmaker 3.
That’ll give me pads to batter (4 x Pad Banks), knobs to assign to effect macros and sliders to assign to Mixer levels ( 3 x Control Banks) - everything needed to make it feel like an instrument for performing or jamming.
Still using the touchscreen for menu diving, chopping samples etc.
Comes pretty close to covering all the bases with BM3
Would be cool if someone came out with a real tailored controller for it.

6 Likes

It would be great if you could assign the sample chopping start and end to those encoders

1 Like

EDIT: I think it simply doesn’t support midi clock send/receive. Not yet anyway, but looks like the devs may add it…

EDIT #2: I missed it at first, but looks like there might be a way to use the Ableton Link feature to sync via another app. I’ll have to test tomorrow, but looks promising!

Can someone point me in the right direction as to a tutorial or instruction on how to sync the DT with BeatMaker 3? Just trying to sync midi clock between the two so the transport between each stays in sync. A little lost on how to do so. I was able to hook up a very simple keyboard to BM3 and get it to respond. When hooking up the DT to the iPad I see it show up in the midi section of BM3, but can’t seem to do anything else.

Been searching for general midi tutorials on either BM2 or BM3, but they all seem centered around external keyboards or pads and not midi sync.

Thanks!

1 Like

Is everyone still like BM3 as a good pair for the DT?

I deal with a lot of sampled material that needs to be timestretched to a specific BPM before being transferred to the DT. I’m looking for something that would allow me to quickly check the BPM of the original samples and timestretch it. How is BM3 at timestretch? Quick and easy to use? Easy to get sampled material into the app?

BM3 has gotten better with recent updates and is more stable now.
Timestretch is very good and it has a dope legato sampling mode which is awesome.

I found this video on youtube, bit long winded but shows the sampling modes well

1 Like

bit late but you should be able to send midi clock from DT to link to midi and then activate Ableton link on BM3

I’m not much for composing stuff on the iPad. Would you still recommend it for processing/manipulating samples before putting them on the Digitakt?

FWIW I use BM3 in this way for my Octatrack. It does keep getting better and better with every update. I compose in strictly 432hz so BM3 has been great for storing a grip of samples fine tuned down to -32. It makes trimming a breeze and I am starting to dig it as a repository of samples.

I do compose loops in it, but lately im just hooking it up to my Ot, sampling over some hits and goin nuts. Until i get my shit sorted with a big cf card and all of that, its a real lifesaver especially for those of us who are allergic to laptops in the creative process.

If you get the Strom app by Erik Sigth (not the Strom that hooks up with the Rytm) you can directly sample internet radio into BM3, chop it , EQ it even, and then directly sample over to ur DT.

3 Likes

if you have an ipad soundcard then yes. its very easy to sample from inputs and manipulate the samples from there.
the legato sample is really cool to play samples into the DT and change the pitch without retriggering the sample

1 Like