Beatmaker 3 + Digitakt = Bliss

Ok so tested BM3 hooked up to my Digitakt. Been testing apps today with the digitakt.

Amazing combo.
BM3 has eight banks which can each be assigned a midi channel
BM3 has macro knobs that can be hooked up to digitakts control knobs
And most importantly, BM3 samples in stereo, polyphonic playback, timestretch, and even a legato sample playback mode. Oh and a chop shop :smile:
Oh and AU3 plugin support for synths and FX

It just pushes the digitakt into a whole new territory

I made another vid with terrible keyboard jamming :joy: (Also levels are terrible just for icing on the shitcake)

Note the distorted sound of the keys is a bitcrusher from BM3

17 Likes

Oh so BT3 is out now. Nice! Looks like a nice combo indeed.

How did you setup the midi? Camera connection kit or some ios midi interface?

Digitakt midi clock to iPad to keep sync and transport?

Audio routing? iPad into the DT inputs or external mixer?

I cant find bm3, only bm2 (4iphone)

1 Like

Don’t think the phone version is out yet. Sure I read it’ll be some weeks before it appears

1 Like

How long can the samples be on BM3?.. can it play back long backing tracks along with the Digitakt ok?.. currently looking for an iphone app that would be good for backing tracks live.

Hooked up via this:

No midi clock, just using BM3 like a hardware rack sampler, outputs from sound card into digi inputs

2 Likes

Yeah it has audio tracks but haven’t tried them or midi clock

Do you need Digitakt at all if you have BM3? Seems it has pretty much all the DT features and more.

2 Likes

have you tried sending MIDI via USB from the DT? I think this should be possible…?

1 Like

Except buttons and knobs… interface has a big impact!

2 Likes

That is true, though you can get some of that feel with a midi controller too (but obviously not as good as controls specifically designed for the instrument of course).

:scream: blasphemy

1 Like

No because the audio interface improves the sound quality and latency on the iPad and uses USB, so I use standard midi between the digitakt and interface

Nah I don’t think it would even come close TBH. Beatmaker is like a supplement to the DT. It’s great to have but I’m only using it to hold stereo timestretched samples.

The DT is miles away with the trig locks and cntr-all etc. I tried making a few tracks just in BM3 and got frustrated with using the touchscreen.

2 Likes

BM3 is def a big step up from BM2

1 Like

conditrigs? automating pgm chng? proper UI and balanced audio with DIN MIDI, all in a small, neat package?

Those are all valid reasons. But are they enough to warrant spending 800 euros instead of 20 euros if you already own an ipad and an audio interface?

2 Likes

hes got a point.

tactile interface tho. still not worth 800?

with hardware, you need to use the force luke. the potential is there for a certain end result that is arguably more interesting in that it was all ‘performed’

the combo is certainly better than one or the other. the price difference makes BM3 a no-brainer.

yeah but the two together is even better

tried this. it works. it’s awesome. didn’t notice a latency issue.

that said, i can see the upside of an interface because it would be pretty cool to resample DT patterns into BM3.

2 Likes