MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Oooooooooh, good idea.

That’s the plan, hopefully.

1 Like

German shop session states April 10th, justmusic says shipping date Feb 8th (but I don’t think this is for real). And thomann says nothing about availability (maybe this is the best statement).

I wonder if the Live/X and Digitakt might be a perfect match or better go for Live/X in combination with an iPad and elastic drums app e.g. and an additional iPad dock.

I don’t see a massive need for digitakt with Live? A lot of overlap and Live kills it in most areas. If you really want an Elektron sequencer I’d save and grab an OT, it has much more to offer than digitakt that Live doesn’t have onboard. Or possibly a used Sp404 for cheap super fast sampling and some nice vibe/fx.

The Elektron sequencing is always nice to have/use but you’d prob get more mileage overall from an ipad + live. Ipad makes a killer sound source and there are a ton of interesting sequencing apps vs Elektron sequencer, which is fundamentally pretty basic, only the trig conditions really stand out to me as a ‘must have’ interesting feature. UI is a different matter tho. Elektron UI is nice and fast in a lot of cases. Especially for p-locks etc. Ipad can be very clunky in use. Great for sound design etc, often pretty irritating for other stuff.

Depends what you wanna do really. If you have a big sample library already and just wanna use hardware for sequencing/mangling that, maybe digitakt would be better choice. But if you’re looking for new sounds it makes sense to grab an ipad. Rather than having two samplers and no sound source…

I wouldn’t necessarily grab an ipad dock straight away. Possibly unnecessary expense/clutter. Live has USB hub onboard and unless you’re super fussy about sound quality the apple headphone socket is fine, never bothered me at least :wink:

All this is subject to what Elektron do with the digitakt. It might turn out to be more feature rich than it looks atm. But if it’s Elektron’s ‘budget’ box and they’ve said they’re still working on ‘big projects’, then from looking at their history of avoiding overlap etc I’d suspect it’ll have ‘budget’ feature set so as not to take away from the future big boxes…

30 posts were split to a new topic: Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

Yep, that’s exactly what I wanna go for: I simply need a sound source and thus thought about digitakt, which is - as you mention as well - a bit overkill as being a sound source only. I was not looking for an additional sequencer or other features, which can be handled by the Live/X anyway.
BTW: sold my SP404 SX a month ago, never used it.

Obviously you’ve never written a super psychedelic track :grin:

Slightly off topic, sorry mods, but Caustic has just had quite an update on iOS.
I think it’s excellent myself, and the sfx-r in the audio editor is the daddy.

Should be fun with the MPC too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does the current MPC touch support individual part lengths ?

Saw a video where he seemed to apply the ‘vintage mode’ insert effect to the input. So I ‘think’ it’s there…

2 Likes

Back on topic, is April 1st the earliest date anyone has seen around?

Audiosolutions says Sunday, March 5th 2017 (date double-checked)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

Sounds like the same samples but finally a slightly different demo. Hoping some beta users start leaking some more interesting vids soon…

Edit - just watched that video again. None of the pads are lighting as he’s hitting? Dunno how the unit works in practice re lights etc but from memory the other rep’s demos always seemed to light a pad when he hit em? Hopefully just the Akai-sceptic in me and this guy isn’t faking…

Iirc if he is playing samples in a program then the pads don’t blink
If he is triggering the loops then they would blink
I think

1 Like

The most ridiculous part about all the MPC hype are all the “review” videos on youtube by people who haven’t even seen the unit…

3 Likes

Interesting…Richard Devine using CV outs on the MPC X :

2 Likes

The screen on the X looks amazing! I want to know what the timing/jitter figures are.

Just watched this Touch vid on the step sequencer. The step sequencer looks better than I was thinking it would be…

Some interesting little features for variation etc and its the first video where I’ve seen someone use pads instead of touchscreen to program steps etc. Makes me wonder how much else we’ve been seeing them use the touchscreen for tasks where perhaps physical controls can be used instead.

Hopefully means a nice p-locks system will arrive at some point too :wink:

2 Likes