Beach Holiday gear

So I’ve agreed to a week long beach holiday in a hot foreign land. It will be nice but after a few days of slowing turning red, my mind will turn to Synths…

I can’t take my Digitone, A4 or MPC. I might be able to bring my Model:Samples but I struggle to see the lights in bright sunshine.

I have a PO-20 Arcade pocket operator, but it’s not so flexible so I’m considering a PO-32 Tonic. I can back it up on my Zoom HN1

What would you bring to a beach that’s small and works well in bright sunshine?

(I thought of the OPZ but ive had one and wouldn’t buy another!)

[Edit] I already mentioned below, but for those not reading the thread before commenting:

I’m asking what gear you would take if you wanted to make music on a beach because you find laying around for 7 days mentally unfulfilling.

If your answer is “just chill, take nothing” don’t bother, it’s already been said.

1 Like

SP404 mk2, and probably a mic for field recordings.
And plenty of batteries!

5 Likes

How large are they? I thought they were pretty big?

1 Like

If OP-Z is out, I‘d probably explore how far I can get with my IPhone. Novation Circuit is another one that comes to mind, or maybe a Volca Sample.

1 Like

Wow. Got to be sandproof. Or you will bring your holiday back home with you in the form of gritty key presses and scratched up everything. So nothing with a non-sealed keyboard or non-protected screen. Unless you start off with the plan of it being placed in a sealed ziplock bag before it hits the beach/balcony. Which is a possibility I guess

FWIW for my last hill walking holiday in the Alps I took my OP1 (and wiled away the evenings making tunes with sampled cow bells). For my last beach holiday I took a ukulele and learnt to play it (badly). Far less stressful and loads of fun.

6 Likes

I guess about iPad mini size, but thicker obviously!
If you need something smaller than that, m8 tracker would be great, not sure what availability is like on those right now, but pocket sized and full featured.

1 Like

I’d say : nothing. Enjoy your time off and let your surroundings inspire you, so you can make good music once you’re back. Also there’s a risk you’ll bring it but don’t use it.

22 Likes

I’ve had weeks of not being able to synthesise…

I’ll likely have weeks of not being able to when I come back…

Ah smaller than I thought.

One of the reasons I was thinking PO with a case rather than my Model:Samples …

1 Like

Vermona PerFOURmer running off a car battery :slight_smile:

Nothing or a field recorder at a stretch. Thou seriously a kindle and some headphones/music is all you’ll need

3 Likes

Pretty sure there’s a big difference in size … this looks to me like an iPad mini next to the new SP404. I would check the dimensions to be sure.

3 Likes

Seashore air is insanely corrosive. I had a boat on a trailer - not in the water - and it took less than a year for rust spots to appear on 316 stainless fittings. I’ve bought synth gear in the past from beachside studios, and the exposed metal was in rough shape.

I’ll take the gopro and field recorders to the beach, but synths stay home.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t bring electronic music gear to the beach but depending on what evenings are like, you could mess around with the M:S back at your rental. Read about synthesis on the beach if you’re bored.

Cheap guitar. Can also be used as a drum!
Electronics aren’t very sand friendly. :confused:

2 Likes

Ah - my mistake, apologies @RustyRoses!

I would bring a field recorder. It makes you pay attention to the sonic side of holidays.
And offers to play with holidays memories later :wink:

And if you really want an instrument, I’d consider the PO-33.

7 Likes

yeh sand gets everywhere maybe if you have a windbreaker tent to jam out in?

I’m away in few weeks and apart from the plane will be switching nothing on. Turn your brain off and you’ll come back refreshed urging to get back at it.

Go float in the sea and listen to the sounds of nature :grinning:

6 Likes

I’m getting the feeling here that most would lay on a beach and turn off their brain for a week. That’s great.

That’s not me tho guys, it don’t enjoy it and it’s not what I asked.

1. I get hardly any free time to do the things I enjoy
  2. 7 days on a beach was not my choice of holiday
  3. I am not talking about a 24/7 jamming session here chaps, it’s a few hours here and there where I can get time to myself (4 year old coming too)

I think I’ll just draw a line under this question and either take my MS or buy a Tonic.

I hope you all get the holidays you want in the near future chaps.

10 Likes