Bastl THYME Effects Processor

Guys, you are killing my GAS for Thyme like there is no tomorrow…
So basically just using LP filters will not help?

a low pass Filter will of course generate some dreamy, drone textures with MG2 or Thyme but in order to make the whole unit clean and less whiney its just possible by reworking the structure and base of the system.

199 ok.
549 no no.

but using both is a great example of the overall Charme:

1 Like

Same for me, you killed my GAS … hum thanks? :smiley:

Reading the issues here, anyone know if anything has been improved either through new hardware or firmware?

Hi,

it is not really an issue. You can’t hear the hiss when you’re working on your sound. So, at any time it will prevent you from working. You will only notice it is there when all is off. Not a big deal in my opinion when you consider the versatility and strenght of this unit :wink:

2 Likes

Seconded. I use the Thyme on pretty much everything and it’s never been an issue for me.

I have this issue as well. The Thyme is an amazing machine, but this whining noise is super annoying. It’s strange because the noise is almost tonal, unlike regular full-spectrum noise. It’s way more noticeable if you run Thyme into a compressor or distortion.

Emailed Bastl about it too, even sent in the unit for repair. They checked it out and said it’s not a hardware issue, and also mentioned that this might be fixed in a future software update.

I use it anyway and try to ignore it, but…

1 Like

IDGI, can’t you add a noisegate to where you’re monitoring at?

I’m sure it’s frustrating, but at least it’s not audible over signal.

Of course you can add a noise gate if you want and it will easily fix it. But as I said, it is not bothering me.

I think all people concerned by this noise have to ask Bastl to fix it. I will join you to support your request.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m considering the Thyme and I’m wondering if anyone knows if this noise issue has been resolved by Bastl at his point. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

not resolved as far as I know. If you consider the Thyme, don’t worry about it, it is not that bad :wink:

4 Likes

Thyme is on it’s way, thanks :grinning:

2 Likes

Great ! Glad for you :ok_hand:

I read this thread today as a year old Thyme owner and was surprised at the comments re: high pitch noise. I’m usually quick to spot/sensitive to excessive noise and I’ve returned a fair number of Eurorack modules because of it. I was surprised because I’ve never thought the Thyme was noisey.

So after reading this thread, I figured I’d crank up the volumes and see what everyone was talking about.

I have nothing going into the Thyme, the input is maxxed (+20db extra) and the output is maxed too. I also added a Tool in Bitwig to raise the noise floor by an additional 24db and I could not hear any high pitched noise… and the noise I could here was no worse than any other piece of gear I have and just the result of raising the noise floor by a significant amount.

So yeah. Maybe I got lucky or everything is playing nice in my rig. But for anyone on the fence with Thyme, give it a try - it’s a fantastic effects module and goes well with any of the Electrons.

5 Likes

It probably only manifests in some of the machines. But it’s enough of them that Bastl doesn’t want to replace them.

Curious … does it come with its own power supply? Or is there a low bit rate that people are describing as a whine?

I was put off getting a Thyme when I read of the sound ‘issue’

1 Like

Yeah maybe, though watching 3 year old videos (like Cuckoos) I don’t hear any excessive noise either. :roll_eyes: But yeah, it’s a shame Bastl won’t address those who have this issue. They’re usually great with customer service.

did they at least acknowledge if the issue is real or not?

Personally I was not impressed with their customer service. They did help me out with a replacement part for my microgranny but when I described to them how the built in mic was messed up, they told me “that’s how it’s supposed to sound”. I tried explaining to them that no, it sounded fine for two weeks then all of a sudden it sounded like someone was scrapping packing foam against the mic and they just stopped responding. I was very interested in the Thyme but after that experience and the reports of noise/Bastl’s lack of interest in addressing them, I decided to go with a Zoia and a MIDI controller. Very pleased with that decision.