Bastl THYME Effects Processor

It’s a solid box overall. If you’ve seen the microgranny small knobs it’s the same thing but with caps on top to be easier to grab. You can feel a bit of wobble but nothing out of the ordinary - it’s the caps wobbling, not the knobs themselves. I bought mine second hand and I like it overall, however, there are few quirks that were present on my microgranny before so I would call them the Bastl disease. Pasting below an email exchange with the support. (FYI, I did the firmware update and it didin’t help)

my letter:

- I get some noise when turning the input gain knob, is that normal? I remember having that since day one on my Microgranny back in the day before I sold it.

- There is a slight high pitched background noise when the unit is on, definitely not a ground loop, more like a bleed. Not noticeable in the mix, but annoying if I want to resample the output through my elektron gear or amplify with the Analog Heat…

The unit is advertised as hi-fi (with tape speed to normal) but this noise is definitely stopping me using it to its purpose. I would really appreciate if you could point me into possible reasons for this behaviour or let me know if that is to be expected.

to which they answered:

-regarding the input gain we are currently in search for a potentiometer
replacement that would improve this but it might end up with completely
redesigning the amplifier section. We recognise that all units show this
behaviour to some extent and we want to improve this preferably without
redesigning the pcb.

-this was adressed in last firmware update and should be improved if you
update. Do you use original powersupply tho?

-Our team is working on improving the thyme as we collect customer
feedback. It was released after testing and multiple runs through our
beta testers but still when hundreds of people use it there are points
that our few testers missed. We are doing our best to adress it as
effectively as we possibly can.

Overall, I’m happy with the unit but I wouldn’t be if I had to pay the asking price for a new one (I got mine mint second hand for 300eur)

In terms of sound and capability it’s really cool, a lot to discover, but nothing to replace Analog Heat. Actually I got it exactly to stick it between my DT and Heat, get the bit reduction and more digital sound and run it through some distortion and filtering on the way out.

The whole sequencer aspect of it is too complex for me and I don’t bother, have it mapped on my DT and I p-lock the hell out of it which is really cool. All in all, there is nothing like it on the market and it gives you a particular sound which is cool to have.

I’m pasting a quick noodle below, there are few more recent videos on my channel if you want to check. Hope I’m in help here.

5 Likes

I personally own a Microgranny and actually had to replace a pot after not that much use. They sent me some pots though (I had to pay shipping). It makes me a bit worried about the build but it seems like I may have just got a funky pot…it happens.

About the noise, did the firmware fix it? The microgranny is pretty awful on battery, much better but still noticeable in sampling situations with power adapter.

I have mine plugged permanently into the outputs of one mixer, ready to mangle.

The pots feel solid, though the Input Gain knob is a little loose - the buttons are crisp and solid.

This is definitely an aspect of the Thyme which is a little fiddly to get to grips with (and sometimes just doesn’t seem to start at all) - but I have had fun with the sequencer when I’ve got it to work.

As I wrote, it didn’t fixed it. The noise is not like on the granny but much more in the background and probably I hear it more than normal because I have the Heat next in chain which amps it a notch.

1 Like

Ok, thanks

Has anyone with a Thyme had problems since upgrading to firmware 1.1.1 ? I just flashed the device, and since doing so the input LEDs show nothing, and the unit outputs no sound at all (including when being played by MIDI notes as a Karplus Strong synth).

I’ve run the hardware tests in the manual, and testing the knobs in particular seems to work, but the input LED doesn’t light up during that procedure. Likewise, when trying to see if any of the robots will do anything, the Rate and Amount LEDs do not change or move as they usually would (though they worked fine in the knob test routine).

Any thoughts would be appreciated…

EDIT: Turns out the Thyme needed the custom Bastl installer to flash the firmware, rather than Linux Simple Sysexxer that I usually use. The installer wouldn’t run on Arch Linux, so using the Windows version via Wine did the trick as that still works. Phew!

I’m so sad and disappointed about this incredible piece of equipment.
A wicked mangling weapon and true forge of lucky accidents, but…
The hi pitched noise that comes out of it especially in hi-res mode makes impossible any kind of professional recording outside the ground of fucking “noise” and these kind of music genre(totally unacceptable from a device in this price range, anyway).
I often slam some sound in it and - jeeze, such lovely things get out of this guy, and a big smile get on my face :slight_smile:
But as it’s time to push the rec button…
This sort of hi digital hum creepin around, damn, it’s unacceptable.
I mailed Bastl people, lovely guys and kind customer service, but they couldn’t do anything with that, I don’t know if this is a known problem
I don’t know if it’s a matter of motherboard or some crappy component, but it would be a dream if these guys could fix that.

I was looking at one of these for awhile but decided to go with an Empress Zoia instead. The main reason? Because I owned a Microgranny 2 for awhile and had the exact same issue. On battery power it was squealing, on psu it quieted a bit but every time I used it in a recording I could hear it.
I too contacted support. I was told this was normal behaviour. No thanks.
In the end I sold it off which was bitter sweet as I really did like the little gal, but I just can’t stand high pitched noise. Drives me nuts!

Would a low pass filter tame the noise a tiny bit and make it more dubby? I’ve been looking at this unit for a while now and that really sucks if it makes it unusable

i agree that this is a frustrating instrument ultimately. it could be much better than it is. that said, i don’t hate its quirks and it can yield some real gems in the texture department.

basiclaly more people need to make hardware delay/tape sims whcih allow for lfo modulation of most or every parameter

To me is heartbreaking doin this kind of rant because Thyme could indeed be my favourite mangler-looper-fx, but no, every time I try to use it in a professional recording I end up being pissed off like crazy (I also have two Microgrannies and I love them, but It’s a 100 bucks toy, who fuckin cares about some noise. But thyme it’s a totally different thing/price range)

Also, if they’d fix that shit I’d buy three :smiley:

2 Likes

I think a cheap ground noise filter would help you out. I had to get one for my op-1, otherwise I had the same issue

Already tried
d’uh

Does low pass filter helps this situation or not?
Please elaborate

Oh, that’s interesting. I have a Bastl Dude (their tiny compact mixer), and it has really bad hum when powered by PSU (at least, the third-party PSU I tried – I should probably see if I have another that would work), but works fine with batteries

I do think it could work.
But not more effectively than stickin a couple of turds in my earholes :expressionless:

Thank for answer anyway

is it also based on the Atmega Chip like the MG2?

i loved two microgrannys but couldn’t hang with the noise floor and digital artifacts when clicking the buttons.

something like this or thyme based on axoloti would be dope.

That’s funny… exact opposite

This noise doesn’t bother me as I can’t here it in the mix but I agree, it shouldn’t exist on a pricey gear like thyme. Still a great piece of hardware :star_struck:

I forgot about the noise “pitching” when pushing the buttons. That was really noticeable in a recording.
I paid $200 for my Microgranny so I wasn’t happy.