Bandcamp Fridays

Good idea. We have 2 items in common on Bandcamp, quite a good way to see and share. Here’s my collection:

1 Like

Ahah then your own albums are not in your collection I guess :wink:

I do my bit… I got seven releases yesterday but that said, the tricky things about threads like these are that they often are just lists of albums folk have got. For example, of the 5 recommendations you made the only one which gave a clue as to what the music was like was the last one. Adjectives like ‘disgusting’ or ‘filthy’ on their own don’t really tell me if your taste and my taste are in the same ballpark so it’s then rouletter clicking on songs.

I feel a bit the same way as the What Your Listening To Thread to… even just half a sentence would be a great step for a hint.

1 Like

You really do support a lot of the people on these forums. It’s commendable. I doff my cap, good sir :wink:

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t think so, no. Listening =/= supporting.
We all know about the atrocious rates given out by spotify youtube etc, and the bandcamp day fee waiver is a really huge deal. I could love an artist to bits, play their music all day, and not recompensate them at all; just trust in a for-profit company to share the income proportionally?

I’m not out to shame anyone, I just think this is pretty clear cut; you like what someone’s made? Pay for it. There’s more pay what you feel releases available than you could listen to in a lifetime, 20p is better than nothing. The status quo sucks and places like this should be full of people invested in changing it.

Probably not, no. I think this is beside the point; the subjectivity of music is what allows for the staggering variety. The sheer breadth of people’s tastes is awesome in itself. We should be celebrating particular expressions of music in addition to the more universally shared love of music. It’s part of the whole, maaan.

But yeah I concede I was pretty rash last night. Obviously anyone engaging is a good thing, and should be encouraged. It’s just upsetting that even in times like this, when our engagement with the world and existent systems should be examined and challenged more than ever, the predilection is still towards transparently exploitative systems because they’re ‘convenient’.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. I could’ve put in the effort like I did last time, but no one seemed very fussed, which is part of what lead to this post I guess. It definitely makes a difference. That said, I am also a complete advocate of click roulette; I think it’s healthy to challenge your tastes as much as possible, and let’s be honest clicking through to the release blurb really doesn’t take that long.

But yeah, I would love to have more of a back and forth interaction when it comes to sharing music. I’ve been thinking of threads with a more specific purpose; maybe an abstract prompt for the general vibe and guidelines on describing what you share and responding to other posts to get more of a conversation going.

2 Likes

Hadn’t thought about that, so that’ll explain it

Hi There!
I share with all my Edits on Bandcamp, i hope you like it!
Some of this its free download or what you want to pay :slight_smile:

the best for all,
Lucare

1 Like

Hey, it’s Friday isn’t it? I just bought this album which I find is an unusual take on local music influences and electronics. It’s very electronic and at the same time very much has the flavor of south american culture.

I’m less a fan of the remixes but loved the 4 first tracks:

1 Like

I’d like to nominate @AdamJay to this list. I know he is a very active member of this community and makes some sick music, so next Bandcamp Friday, keep him in mind. I know I already have :wink:

Here is one of his latest albums:

Edit: Not sure why the embed is not working… hmmm

Mod edit: just paste the link on a new line

2 Likes

It approaches! Hyped to go a huntin for the freshest lawn cuttings!

There’s Rian Treanor’s File Under UK metaplasm to check out proper, lots going on - “a jerky blend of hybridized footwork and singeli (Tanzania’s own lightning-fast dance sound) that clocked in at a rapid 200bpm” - The story of how he got here is pretty interesting, it’s in the album bio. There’s a track which is a bit like barker on steroids.

Also gonna have a proper sit down with Jackson Veil Panther, ye olde industrial noise squeezer. Just had a quick listen and I think @fin25 could be interested

For chill ambient plink plonk times i’m gonna give star atlas a spin, old album by somni451

As for p h y s i c a l releases i’m gonna cop hot of the press GOAT LIFE! by DJ Oa$is. When’s the last time you saw a vinyl for £3? Crusty, paint-peeling lofi tongue-in-cheek dub time

@Rea_001 get yours!

Look forward to checkin out what people are checkin out

5 Likes

You, Merv. Are a force to be reckoned with. Not only have I loved your attitude toward musical offerings I also love the music you share. It is so different.

Rain Treanor sounds like a fun party Sophie. Really clean digital production but very dirty. Way more interesting to me. I am curious about the gear he/she uses. Sooooo good.

Jacksonville Panther is great! This album is incredible! Proper hard and dirty, just the way I like it sometimes.

Star Atlas makes beautiful music, that’s for sure. Some tracks sounded identical though.

It’s all good though :wink:

Thanks for sharing! I’d never have came across these dudes if it wasn’t for you.

2 Likes

IDM/acid flair

review of the album :slight_smile: https://entropymag.org/cassilda-and-carcosa-tubes-transformers-transistors-tape/

3 Likes

Yo, cheers! Haven’t checked out Sophie, but they made a lot of noise last year? I’m also curious to know what Treanor is using, maybe try and hunt down some footage later.

JVP is part of avon terror corps, if you like what you hear you should definitely dig in, some really varied stuff in there, but most of it noisy!

Somni had an album on astral industries, who do the most incredible album cover art, and it was the first ambient stuff I gelled with in a while, apart from anything by H Takahashi.

In hot of the press release news, prefuse73 just dropped the failing institue of the contras, second part of the failing institute series, with all the sounds coming from contra/upright bass:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing more incredibly interesting music. I love digesting all types of music. Right now I am couch slouching listening to Chaka Demus and Pliers’ classic - Tease Me. I love experiencing all music… lol

Sophie did release more music last year. It’s a more accomplished piece. At first I was though it was a little bit weird. Then I loved it. It’s mainstream/signed to a major record label but that shouldn’t stop you from digesting it in some form. One review of Sophie’s first album is funny. It explains the album perfectly, warts and all.

Just FYI on the ambient side I have just released the second instalment from my label. It’s an ambient affair recorded from live hardware. Sorry if you’ve already seen my posts. My first release is self produced, again a little weird. You might like it but I’ve no idea @Merv

Swerve here for a listen xspa.bandcamp.com

Keep your passion flowing! Sorry I missed previous posts re: bandcamp Friday’s!

2 Likes

Hip-hop at its finest (prove me wrong please):

1 Like

Don’t be sorry! As I get older the more interested I am in different kinds of music, exploring the fringes of my musical awareness is one of the most exciting things I get the privilege of doing. I definitely try not to let anything like being mainstream/major label affect the way I listen to an artist.

That’s wicked that you have a new release out, I’ll check out your label today for sure! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That Jean Grae and Quelle Chris album is killer!

I’ll recommend some contenders:
Open Mike Eagle has something special going on

Noname no doubt

Jeremiah Jae and Zeroh, I just love the delivery on this, the flow is lazy

I’d throw Clipping into the running, i’m a sucker for sci-fi and noise. Splendor and misery is an “Afrofuturist, dystopian concept album that follows the sole survivor of a slave uprising on an interstellar cargo ship, and the onboard computer that falls in love with him.”, so that’s completely my bag. For some reason I haven’t yet got round to listening to their latest double bill of 90s horror flick albums? But it’s 8am I have to go to bed

1 Like

Yeah the Goat Life 7" is fantastic :rofl:

Thought I’d add a couple more

All with a Bristol vibe.

2 Likes

On todays wish list is Hospital Productions (Dominick Fernow’s label)

2 Likes