Bandcamp Fridays

Hey there!

Bandcamp is already a wonderful vessel for independent musicians to get themselves out there and then they went and made things even better.

One Friday, every month. All fees paid will go directly to the artist instead of the normal 15% they take.

It is a great time to buy some music and support the people who inspire you.

To spread the love even more, let’s share the artists we buy from on Bandcamp on these special Friday’s in this thread.

A bit of background info or backstory is always interesting to read but a link is just fine.

Hopefully this will start people moving away from Spotify and iTunes.

16 Likes

I didn’t realise Bandcamp Friday is coming up today, so I bought this EP on Bandcamp yesterday (or was it the day before?):

Go and have a listen, it’s great.

4 Likes

Thanks for the free publicity, loyal purchaser!

3 Likes

Yes! They recently said the initial three Bandcamp Fridays will be extended to the end of the year. Every first Friday of the month :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gotta say i’m pretty disappointed with this forum’s engagement with bandcamp friday. Why musicians aren’t more interested in supporting and discovering new music is absolutely beyond me.

I found so much disgusting new music today, the run of old L.I.E.S releases @ name your price - profits to charity

this russian minimalist madness (like $1 or summat)

this absolute filthy sleng

and whatever the fuck this is

Just grabbing some tracks and a couple cassettes on my way out. I guess supporting other creators and discovering all the mad ways people are continuing to twist and mould sound is less interesting than fawning over the next $$$$ piece of gear but that just seems what a lot of this forum prefers to do.

Bonus track: Gavsborg killing hiphop vocal sampling dead with minimal style:

2 Likes

Haha fair but it’s not like anyone is going to read it; there’s been a new BCF thread for the last 3 months at least and they’ve all got minimal traction. I guess I am preaching a little; a huge part of my identity is the absolute joy that discovering new music brings me; It gives me a huge kick, I also believe it is incredibly important to anyone’s creative practice to expand your horizons; but most of all in times of economic and social disarray the necessity to cultivate and support what you believe in and hold dear is paramount, and a shared responsibility for those supposedly invested in it’s continuation.

4 Likes

Yeah, fair enough. It does suck that we don’t tend to support each other’s music as much as we could do on here. Maybe most gear forums are a little bit like this? I don’t know. This is the only one I frequent on the regular :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last month I bought all of touched music catalogue , this month I got some yimino, Cygnus and preorders from firescope records.

2 Likes

Ahhhh some lovely stuff in there. Do love me some Firescope! :wink:

All of these are incredible! I dont feel I would’ve found them if you didn’t share.

Thank you!

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve got a new hard drive just for all my music and have been spending a lot more time listening back to old stuff (and inspiring some new finds). I’ve really only been listening to Spotify for months and I end up on endless bad music tangents. So this has been refreshing. Funny enough, I remembered that Malvoeaux EP earlier this week and when I went to look for it online, couldn’t find anywhere to give them money for it. I have great memories driving around listening to those tracks years ago.

To my surprise here it is today! Got a few more of those ‘new’ LIES ones and had a nice day listening. Looking forward to the next one now that I remembered they’re doing this… if only I had remembered earlier this week.

2 Likes

hey thanks for sharing! <3

1 Like

1 Like

Oh, also these. Already running low on some of these tapes.

2 Likes

That’s great!

Reliving memories of times gone by is a wonderful thing. CD stores are big here in Japan. I visited them until I had the same collection as the one in my rents living room back in the day.

Cassettes are great for soooo many reasons.
I’ve recently been riding to and from work and I only take a small bag. I have to be picky when it comes to making a decision about the music I listen to during my ride. There is only space for my wallet, phone, cassette case and personal cassette player. I am much less distracted when it comes to riding my bike and switching songs and stuff like that. I just let it play. It’s great! I have been buying music on iTunes and recently got a Spotify gift card for a month. Totally hear you on the bad musical tangent re:Spotify.

I absolutely love the thread @craig made about Spotify and iTunes. I can’t believe how music has ended up like this. The words from Spotify‘s CEO made me shiver and cringe with disgust tbh. He was saying that artists need to be more productive and blast out work like there’s no tomorrow. Crazy! After just finishing my first album, spending crazy money on ‘the perfect set up’ and experiment for 7 years, then spending a year to carve out a creation that I am happy with I know that this is practically impossible. If that did happen, the music would become so diluted that it could probably be put together by algorithms.
Take a look at Jive Bunny’s output on Spotify. :joy:

I will be making my own cassette mixtapes for my own listening pleasure and I will be buying all of my music on Bandcamp.

1 Like

Isn’t it what the thread “What are you listening” is all about?

I also love discovering new music, and actually above thread has been my mine gold for a few years.

Anyway, I like your idea of turning this theead into a list of suggestions :slight_smile:

All 3 “maze to nowhere“ EPs from LORN are free and should definitely be in everyone’s collection, if not on heavy rotation.

My techno heroes are Rrose, Abdulla Rashim and Headless Horseman

I also like some guitar, sometimes…

And I believe half the music I buy on BC is from some users of this forum :beers:
Would you recognize them?

5 Likes

Bandcamp is the best thing that ever! I suspect that when the time is right they will upgrade the listening experience as wel e.g. browse through your library and make playlists a la Spotify. That would drive sales way up for me!

1 Like

Same here. Browsing, searching, etc. is just such a frustrating experience on both the website and the app. They should really update that to get outside of the ‘purist’ music lovers scene…

3 Likes

Cool to see a Fuck Punk release here !

1 Like