Avalon Bassline...worth it?/ Opinion

learning how to trigger the modulation envelope , and the finer values on the depth really help

i usually have the attack and decay quick slow , so you just hit func/the one next to it & time and it’ll slowly sweep the frequencies.

i think the sub bass can make it a little too raspy for my tastes,
i prefer the sqr to triangle wave too , i think… will play on it tonight.
wouldve been great to have more midi cc’s but i think its built for hands on twisted madness.
and its built like a nord (i.e very well)

2 Likes

Love mine too, have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Abstrakt have just published a 9-part set of tutorials for the Avalon. They are very clear and comprehensive. Makes me admire that little unit even more!

Definitely the current king of acid bass boxes.

3 Likes

Nice one for posting this! Been looking for some more in depth guidance - it’s about time they released some proper videos :slight_smile:

Anyone got any of the FIlter carts ? How do they sound ? Big difference ? Worth it ?

1 Like

Got myself one of these little beauties, pale skinned/blue eyed/sem filtered…
Can’t wait to let it sing with its magnificent bass voice !

2 Likes

The SEM filter would be my choice as well… sounds great.

I was about to get a tb03 when I stumbled across the Avalon Bassline. Not sure how I missed it before. I had to sell a few things to fund it but I’m sure I made the right decision.

Ordered the Black/Red and the Roland OTA card. I’ll definitely be ordering the other carts when I have the scratch.

Does anyone know anything about when the wasp and/or arp style filters will be available?

1 Like

This machine is really alive, I love it.
It is a bit too expansive, but it does deliver pleasure :smiley:

I like to put a compressor behind, to avoid loosing volume when rising the resonance…

SEM filter is great, but I found myself using the machine filter way more often :smiley:
Not sure I will collect the whole gang of filter cartridges :wink:

2 Likes

Just got it today with the ROTA and Ladder filter. Honestly, I’d probably pass on the ladder if I wasn’t obsessive about collecting that kinda thing but don’t pass on the ROTA. It turns the Avalon into a whole different beast. Still look forward to getting and hearing the SEM cart.

2 Likes

SEM cart is a fucking beast

1 Like

Yep, the SEM filter cart has some serious extremities. It’s got a small wheel that lets you manually blend between LP/Notch/HP. Plus a separate mode for bandpass.

BTW, the other filter carts also have extra modes:

Roland OTA: 12db & 24db
Arp 4075: 12db & 24db
Ladder: 24db & Bandpass
SEM: LP/Notch/HP & Bandpass
Wasp: coming soon?

I also wholeheartedly agree with all the other owners’ accolades. This thing is arguably the best build of any synth I’ve ever seen. So solid. And definitely, it nails the coffin shut on all other 303 clones. But it can’t be understated that the synth engine and sequencer can take it very far away from that sound if you want. It’s an amazing, unique synth on it’s own. So worth it.

3 Likes

I bought avalon and SEM filter cart.
If you attach the SEM filter cart and turn on [FILT B], no sound comes from Avalon.
I thought that it was a problem with the SEM filter cart, I had it replaced by another one, but the result did not change.
Do I need to do something special setting on Avalon?

Without looking at all the other settings it’s hard to tell
Presumably you have filter cart engaged , sub or other oscillator turned on and it makes a noise if your turn the dial on the cart ?

Do you mean switching the sem filter on , or using the filt mode option ( config + filt mode ) ?

Thank you for the reply.
I tried every option, but I heard no sound.
When [FILT B] is turned ON and the filter is switched to SEM cart, there is no sound.
Even if you switch [FILT MODE], you will not hear any sound.
https://youtu.be/8mcQ5aYL5xM

Assume you messed with the dial? Anybody around you with an Avalon? Maybe a bum card? Send it back and ask for a replacement?

Thank you for your reply.
I asked the dealer to replace it with another SEM cart.
However, as I was using the replacement SEM cart, it was the same situation, so I think that there is a problem with Avalon’s condition.

your video doesnt seem normal , it should definitely be making a noise.

send a link to your supplier , maybe to abstract too , though theyre often a bit slow at communication.

theres a facebook group and a thread on gearslutz for avalon things too.

Communication with Avalon is next to nothing. The owner is a piece of work regarding support. So get prepared for a battle man. I would start raising hell with the retailer you purchased it from. I haven’t needed support for the 3 I’ve owned. Now own 2, but I get severely pissed off hearing how bad this guys support is. NO EXCUSE for a $1000 piece of gear n 2018.

Thanks for your advice.
It turned out that it was not a matter of setting.
I will ask the retailer to repair Avalon or replace it to normal ones.
Since Avalon is difficult to become available, I hope that normal Avalon will be available as soon as possible.