Avalon Bassline...worth it?/ Opinion

owned 2 TBs … studio is full of all the old precious analogs that ive been collecting for 25 years … total acid head as well as snobby analog purist gear head, the Avalon is SO totally on point, i’d never go back to the TB for anything other than bragging rights and pure nostalgia … I would NEVER EVER throw the TB under the bus, it got me here , but the Avalon NAILED it … hard to communicate with the company and my Avalons were buggy as f…k at first

, but Brian has always been diligent in getting them tip top … my 2 cents … you’ll have more fun programming, playing and layering 2 Avalons than you you ever will with one TB for the price … add the filter modulation, sub osc and the cards and youre on a totally different planet with a TB circuit bubbling underneath … nice thing is if you dont dig it, still sells for what you payed for it …

11 Likes

A bit off topic but, is it a Leipzig S that I see in the corner ? Are you happy with it ?

I love your studio man

+1

I love how you have your gear set-up, wish I could do similar!

I have received mine. Very serious, well built and a killer sound, love it ! :slight_smile:

Hi there

a question for the guys who claim that the Avalon doesn´t have filter FM : can´t you just plug a cable from any of the oscillator´s waveforms to the filter CV input?

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve been modulating mine with an oscillator from my Eurorack system. Works great. The only caveat is that the “no modulation” point is at ~3.2 V instead of 0 V.

1 Like

Just bought an Avalon, this box makes my soul grin!
I had a TB303 back in late 90’s sold it for like $2,000
Then I had a FR 777 for a long time and loved it.
I’ve pretty much been acidless since.
As soon as I plugged in the Avalon wow…
It’s a labor of love obviously, built like a tank, it’s a true TB and then some.
I’ve been getting by with doing acid type sounds with other synths but it’s just not the same.
I was actually thinking of a TB03 but just couldn’t do it :joy:
Then as fate would have it a fellow Elektronaut posted a like new Avalon, I said screw it if I want Acid let’s go for it
No regrets, worth every penny.

6 Likes

I’m feeling like I should sell my xoxbox and get an avalon me too haha

You hardly ever hear stories of people making bank off old 303s, usually just regrets of having let them go for a pittance. Kudos, this must put the Avalon’s hefty pricetag into perspective. It is a fantastic machine!

1 Like

I love that moogerfooger case - is it custom?

2 Likes

What type of stand are you using to hold up the 2 Avalons and the OT?

I’ve got an Avalon. In limited (classic) frequency range mode and when everything is set up like the TB, it’s indistinguishable from the original machine IMO.

But it’s far deeper and sounds a ton better when you start to use all the extra features the Avalon has.

I’ve owned a xoxbox and bass bot and am now planning on buying the avalon, seems to be the best clone out there

I love acid sounds so this was an immediate want for me and I’ve not been disappointed. I’ve found it capable for growling acid bass-lines and also much more airy, higher pitched acid sounds and it’s very easy to just get started. There are various extra accent and envelope controls that create the same sort of building filter effect - I’m not really 100% sure on what they do technically (that’s in the manual), but my ears like it.

I’ve currently got it going through an Analog Heat unit which can subtly enhance or totally destroy the sound :slight_smile:

It also comes with a preset which is a Daft Punk riff, can’t remember what the track is but it’s on Homework.

And it’s solid too.

My only problem was that the first unit I bought was faulty and had to be returned and this took about three months due to stock issues - I don’t regret holding out one bit though.

1 Like

Nice idea, two Avalons instead of one TB!

Now I have a machine gun…

Ho Ho Ho

5 Likes

Ive had it for two hours and Im in love…

Better than a real 303 and thought id never be able to say that.

Have the fiter carts on order which means I can run any other sound source through analog tb, moog, oberheim etc filters… wow

3 Likes

This is the first piece of gear I’ve ever owned that I’m seriously considering buying a second one.

1 Like